WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2021

Options

Replies

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I did fifteen minutes of marching and about three minutes on the mini stepper. I broke a sweat without killing my knee! Yay!

Diet was not so great. I was hungry and ate an orange but didn't leave the kitchen and half a sleeve of saltines evaporated! Plus a little chocolate. Oh well tomorrow is another day.

Annie in Delaware
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    dandl1986 wrote: »
    I would love to hear if anyone has done this hike for real. I am sure you would have burned WAY more calories than I did with this video, lol. But I thought it was a fun and different way to meet the challenge. I am looking forward to seeing how others have fulfilled the A challenge.

Happy February! from snowy Ohio
    dee

Very creative!

I have hiked in the Zion area but I'm not sure if I've done that hike. It was a long time ago.

M in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,531 Member
    Options
    Iii
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,445 Member
    Options
    1iz2ovo7f3p4.jpg
    Need to make some raspberry jam, well I will have to wait until summer huh?!🙃😁😔
  • Machka9
    Options
    February 2 --

74wryrfk3v47.png

Battery Point --
    "Settled in 1804 and built jutting out over the River Derwent, Battery Point began its life as a maritime village."
    It has an English (UK) village feel to it and it a nice place to walk. :)
    https://tasmania.com/points-of-interest/battery-point/

Machka in Oz
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,940 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Worked today so no formal exercise. The plan for tomorrow is to do a body pump video

Mrs_Hoffer – what a lovely tribute to your father! When my father passed, Vince couldn’t understand why I needed to bury his ashes asap. He kept saying “they’re only ashes”. But I needed closure. Even tho we had a memorial, mass and everything, I just couldn’t have this hanging over my head. Now when his mother passed, I insisted that they mail her ashes to his family (his cousin is an undertaker) mainly because I knew that he’d never get around to burying them. And here we are, 15 years later, and he STILL hasn’t gone out to MO. I’m guessing by now his cousin has retired and they probably buried the ashes. She wanted to be buried in MO, and I just knew Vince would never get to it.

Debbie CA – I don’t think I’ve ever had starchy water spewing out of my IP. Now I have had just regular water

Take care everyone!

Michele NC

the starchy stuff is usually from pasta and sometimes potatoes.

We will bury my dad's ashes, not sure when(they are in one of the birdhouses he built and sitting on mom's desk right now-just been a few weeks), on their property, where he wanted to be buried. My aunt, my uncle and one of their sons are already buried there. Mom wants to be buried there too

Debbie
    Napa Valley,Ca
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,606 Member
    Options
    Water-yes
    Protein 22%
    Steps 10092 had to work hard to get!
    Hot tub-yes

Made eggs twice in IP. Added a minute this time so the folks went quite as soft. Will either need to add another minute pressurized or more time releasing.....

Bloodwork back again. Triglycerides down to 90, hdl up to 91, lol 132. Dr telling me to watch foods. WBC and neutrophils are low. Lym% is high. They aren't horrible just not in normal range. Dr more concerned on cholesterol. So I looked up foods to lower cholesterol and vitamins for WBC stuffs. I will start back gummies multi vitamin. Will try to make better food choices/swaps. I can't eat oatmeal every day-yuck! I need my yogurt every day. I eat berries every day. If I eat all they say I should I will be miserable. Too much food. I have yall to help though!

Kylia sleepy in Ohio
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    glasses
    Here an eye doctor does the test and then you take the prescription to a glasses shop. I'm pretty sure the individual ones and the chain ones outsource the "making" to China, which is why it takes 10 days for progressives rather than a few days. One can pay more at the individual shop and have them done in Europe but I don't know that there is a difference in the offer. That would stink to get progressives (which are way more expensive than 1 correction- covered by insurance, but they don't offer endless fixes I presume), to find they make one seasick....hmmm. The eye doctor recommended progressives- like for when driving and need to look at a map. It's become less of an issue since classes and meetings have been online.
  • Machka9
    Options
    glasses
    Here an eye doctor does the test and then you take the prescription to a glasses shop. I'm pretty sure the individual ones and the chain ones outsource the "making" to China, which is why it takes 10 days for progressives rather than a few days. One can pay more at the individual shop and have them done in Europe but I don't know that there is a difference in the offer. That would stink to get progressives (which are way more expensive than 1 correction- covered by insurance, but they don't offer endless fixes I presume), to find they make one seasick....hmmm. The eye doctor recommended progressives- like for when driving and need to look at a map. It's become less of an issue since classes and meetings have been online.

You would take them back and either get them fixed or get your money back ... or in my case, get a pair of bifocals and another of ordinary distance glasses.

M in Oz

• bananasandoranges
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »

We will bury my dad's ashes, not sure when(they are in one of the birdhouses he built and sitting on mom's desk right now-just been a few weeks), on their property, where he wanted to be buried. My aunt, my uncle and one of their sons are already buried there. Mom wants to be buried there too

Debbie
    Napa Valley,Ca

@dlfk202000 Debbie (((hugs)))
    kymarai wrote: »

Bloodwork back again. ... WBC and neutrophils are low. Lym% is high. T...So I looked up foods to lower cholesterol and vitamins for WBC stuffs....

Kylia sleepy in Ohio

@kymarai Kylia, what have you found for WBC ? (or have you found anything?) I saw vitamin C seen to increase immunity in general but not specifically wbc... but I'd be interested in what you might find...
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    woke at 3 am, was challenging to keep offscreen till 4 am...(4am is the time I consider first reasonable possible waking time)
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Kylia – aren’t eggs in the IP great? I love how they peel so easily, even fresh eggs

Michele NC
  • Machka9
    Options
    Amusing story --

Work colleagues were talking about one's family members who were coming for a visit from another country. They would have to quarantine 2 weeks when they got here, then 2 weeks when they returned to their country.

The other work colleague made the comment about a "waste of 4 weeks".

And I thought, "4 whole weeks, staying in one place, not having to go anywhere, not having to do anything ... sounds wonderful!! Not a waste at all ... more like a little piece of heaven!" 😍 Just imagine ... 4 weeks with no work, no study of any sort, no medical appointments, no running errands, and when people send emails hassling you, you don't have to do anything at all about them. 4 weeks to just rest.

Almost makes me want to travel somewhere for the sole purpose of going into quarantine for 4 weeks!

Oh well ... back to work and washing my hands, maintaining distance, and keeping clean.

But here's my question ... if you knew that you had 4 weeks of quarantine coming up, what would you bring with you to pass the time?

I would bring books ... I would actually have a chance to read novels for more than about 45 minutes a week!

I might bring my new Rubik's Cube and maybe a couple other of those sorts of "figuring it out" puzzles.

Sudoku books, of course.

I'd have my laptop and could spend time organising it, processing photos and working on my website.

I'd probably bring stretch bands for some exercise.

And relaxation stuff like my eye mask and ear plugs for long night's sleeps, and bath stuff for soaking, etc.

I could see 4 weeks going by in no time and me wishing for more.

I wonder how I might be able to incorporate that sort of quarantine environment into my daily life.

M in Oz
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,816 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    My eye doctor works in a Portland clinic that has a sight shop in the same building. The doctor tests my vision and writes a prescription for new glasses. The sight shop fills the prescription. I don't know where the glasses are actually made. I had the impression that it was somewhere in the Portland metro area but I didn't actually ask where. I will ask the next time I go in, but that may be quite a while. I'm happy with my glasses for now. :star:

Re Quarantine: We have been living in quarantine in some form or another since the Covid nightmare fell upon the world. We're hoping for vaccinations that will help us be safer and get some of our freedom back. DH & I have not had our turns to get the vaccinations so far. We might be getting our first vaccinations in the middle of February. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will happen, but I don't have a high level of confidence that the vaccine will be available. :ohwell:
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @machka9 to your question if you knew that you had 4 weeks of quarantine coming up, what would you bring with you to pass the time?

That would not be very different than life now. the biggest difference is that I would order my food instead of food shopping I guess, and I would no longer be able to go for walks and take away coffee.

I would get a mini recumbant (4,6 kg), portable printer, computer, cell phone, paper, sketch books, paper, coloured pens, paint, glue, if I had no thesis or any other work to do, doing art work (drawing and collage) organising computer is good idea, redo website, my memory cards and disks to archive, new external memory disks, a good camera.. meditation cushion, maybe more comfy lounge clothes,
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    to do
    walk
    recumbent
    15 min declutter
    fill our dental forms and other form and send to insurance
    if no news by 10:30 call school 1 to get certificate
    call school 3
    call lawyer for possible appointment
    call condo management place for info
    2pm phone call
    write to school 2
    4h thesis
    5pm online meeting
    correct 4 papers
  • Machka9
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Amusing story --

Work colleagues were talking about one's family members who were coming for a visit from another country. They would have to quarantine 2 weeks when they got here, then 2 weeks when they returned to their country.

The other work colleague made the comment about a "waste of 4 weeks".

And I thought, "4 whole weeks, staying in one place, not having to go anywhere, not having to do anything ... sounds wonderful!! Not a waste at all ... more like a little piece of heaven!" 😍 Just imagine ... 4 weeks with no work, no study of any sort, no medical appointments, no running errands, and when people send emails hassling you, you don't have to do anything at all about them. 4 weeks to just rest.

Almost makes me want to travel somewhere for the sole purpose of going into quarantine for 4 weeks!

Oh well ... back to work and washing my hands, maintaining distance, and keeping clean.

But here's my question ... if you knew that you had 4 weeks of quarantine coming up, what would you bring with you to pass the time?

M in Oz

I guess I should clarify what quarantine is. :)

https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert/how-to-protect-yourself-and-others-from-coronavirus-covid-19/quarantine-for-coronavirus-covid-19

What is quarantine?

Quarantine is when you are well but may have been in contact with someone with COVID-19. If this happens you will be required to isolate from other people to prevent the spread of the virus. The quarantine period is 14 days from when you may have been in contact with the virus.

Who must go into quarantine?
    If a public health authority directs you to, you must go into a mandatory 14-day period of quarantine. During this time they will monitor you.

You will need to go into quarantine if you:
    • have returned home from overseas
    • have been in close contact with someone who has confirmed or probable COVID-19
    • are entering a state or territory, or an area within a state or territory, that has a required quarantine period.

So I'm thinking of a situation where you might fly into another country and have to stay in a hotel for 14 days, not allowed to leave, perhaps like here where there will be an armed guard outside.

And then you fly home and again, you have to stay in a hotel for 14 days, under guard.

Food is provided within the quarantine fee.

M in Oz
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,606 Member
    Options
    Quarantine- I am thinking....my phone, tablet, laptop, a puzzle or 2, a couple cross stitches, that stack of magazines I want to read, coloring books, colored pencils, markers, and a journal of some kind. The electronics would give me access to family and friends, books, music, movies.

Julie low B12 and folate can affect neutrophils. Other things are infections, viral, fungal, or bacterial. It is a mystery to me. Not so low that the doctor is concerned again. The human body is definitely mysterious. I may have to try those silk gloves. My fingers gets so cold when I put them in gloves. They stay warmer in mittens where they can share the warmth. Apparently they dont like isolation! 😂

Ohio ladies- Winter is finally here! Sunday and Monday highs forecasted at 13 F. Lows on the negatives.🥶 Okay, I will be challenged to get in hot tub at those temps! Getting out isnt the problem since no suits are involved. But that is a definite wake up before getting in!

Happy Ground hog day!
    Make the best choices you can!
    Remember YOU are WORTHWHILE!
    Look in your mirror and tell yourself two things- YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL! YOU ARE LOVED
    Have a BLESSED day!
    😍
    Kylia in wintery Ohio