WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2021

Options

Replies

• Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Kylia – aren’t eggs in the IP great? I love how they peel so easily, even fresh eggs

Michele NC

I got an IP for Christmas LAST year and have rarely used it. Just curious, how long do you cook eggs in the IP to get "hard boiled" eggs?
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Happy Groundhog Day all... If you happen to believe in chunky rodent prognosticators, Punxsutawney Phil has predicted six more weeks of winter, bless his hairy little heart.

So, first batch of yogurt went through yesterday, and it did fine and tasted great - ended up a bit loose, but will simply leave it in the Instant Pot a little longer next week. Has anyone tried lactose free milk to make yogurt, and if you did, what did you think?

I was going to ask if there is any way to know if the homemade finished product actually has live cultures, but found the answer online--which is that basically, the output wouldn't be yogurt, it would be spoiled milk. So, yay, it worked, it's definitely yogurt. It's one of the reasons the doc has me doing this, to get that biome straightened out, and if the cultures aren't thriving in the homemade yogurt, that would be an issue.

No idea what the day will hold today... just letting it happen for a change. Maybe a nap. For now, time to go take my pills.

Later, y'all,
    Love, Lisa in AR

I never imagined making some of the things in the IP that you ladies have talked about these past couple of days! I really had no idea! Lol. But when I read Lisa's post about making yogurt (which I just made yesterday) in the IP out loud to my DH, he commented and said "hmm. I bet you could make it in the smoker too. Then it'd have a nice smoky flavor." I said "yogurt??" :#
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Mrs Hoffer
    I lay the eggs on the insert, add 2 c's of water, and set timer for 7 minutes

Carol in GA
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    edited February 2021
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »

:) We have a Ninja Foodi with an air fryer. Jake uses that for all sorts of things including hard boiling eggs. I cook exclusively on the stove, microwave, and occasionally, the toaster.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

I just got DH a Ninja Foodi with an air fryer for christmas. He loves it! He's grilled on it several times, but we haven't tried the dehydrator or the air fryer. How in the world do you hard boil eggs in the Ninja Foodi? You can probably all tell that I don't do much of the cooking - DH does!! But then again, he's retired and I'm working two jobs! Lol. (That's my story and I'm stickin to it!) :smiley:

Thanks Carol! I will definitely try it!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,360 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Teresa - I put my eggs on the trivet, add a cup of water and cook them on low pressure for 3 minutes. That way they are not overdone and, if I forget about them, they are still OK. I usually do forget them.
    The IP is definitely a learning curve. I studied with great attention for at least a couple of months. :D YouTube, Facebook, App. Of course you do have to read the instruction book! I have bookmarked loads of trusted recipes. Cheesecake is one of the best things! :o:o:o Crême Caramel. Rising dough. Sprouting lentils. Cooking pulses from dry. Brown rice. Mainly I make stews, tagines and curries. And yoghurt. I have also made paneer with Kim's help. :D

Dinner tonight was wonderful! Made in a wok!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I need the boot PIP! I am so off the wagon, I am wandering in the back woods somewhere!
    Haaaaalp!!!
    Rebecca
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Lovely to see you Vicki! <3 So glad you survived covid. My DSIL is taking blood from covid survivors for antibodies. She loves her job.

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    @kymarai oh try the gloves! I grew up in Boston area and lived in Quebec City for 2 years and really learned about how to stay warm there. Wool and silk are best natural fibres for staying warm. I have known that experientially for years (learned about wool when autumn camping with Canadians, with a little snow! I was so ill-prepared! :D ) online I just read that the tight fibres come into play as do the fact that both (apparently wick moisture away from skin. I know that to be true. you are Never damp wet cold with those two materials.

I used to be cold fingered and toed all the time till I went wool/sillk. The wool or silk has to be next to the skin. When in Boston I'd put cotton under wool socks, when skiing as a teen. WRONG! I had such cold toes year after year after year.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @cityjaneLondon I had to look up "lose his rag". I had no idea what that meant. I'm sorry you had to go through that. I hope he's ok, not too depressed or whatever. that's really sad about captain Tom. A life well-lived it seems.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    welcome newbies!
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    long day. lots of paper stuff to deal with. mails...

past 8 when looking at thesis. only read 2 pages of something...

in fact, the plan was my official time on thesis is to start full-time next week.

i have a lot to wind up this week and more than enough unexpected stuff to manage. that's why I declined to start yesterday.

really impossible.

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,030 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Mrs_Hoffer wrote: »
    exermom wrote: »
    Kylia – aren’t eggs in the IP great? I love how they peel so easily, even fresh eggs

Michele NC

I got an IP for Christmas LAST year and have rarely used it. Just curious, how long do you cook eggs in the IP to get "hard boiled" eggs?

For the eggs, put them on trivet with a cup or so of water
    , I do 5-5-5. Set the pressure cooker for 5 min, let it natural release for 5 min then ice bath for 5 min. I usually do a dozen at a time.
    I had my pressure cooker for almost 2 yrs before I pulled mine out. Now use it all the time. Yesterday was potato soup, right now I have salsa chicken breast cooking in it now for tacos or on top of a salad.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,cA
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,030 Member
    Options
    Teresa - I put my eggs on the trivet, add a cup of water and cook them on low pressure for 3 minutes. That way they are not overdone and, if I forget about them, they are still OK. I usually do forget them.
    The IP is definitely a learning curve. I studied with great attention for at least a couple of months. :D YouTube, Facebook, App. Of course you do have to read the instruction book! I have bookmarked loads of trusted recipes. Cheesecake is one of the best things! :o:o:o Crême Caramel. Rising dough. Sprouting lentils. Cooking pulses from dry. Brown rice. Mainly I make stews, tagines and curries. And yoghurt. I have also made paneer with Kim's help. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

what do you make with paneer? I bought a piece because I had heard of it and it was really cheap(just a couple dollars) but haven't found any recipes that sound like something the guys would even try

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Debbie - Usually the paneer is cubed, fried until golden, and then added to a veg curry, often with spinach or peas. You could Google some recipes, but if your family don't like curry, then I don't know. The paneer is bland and requires a lot of seasoning and a nice golden coat. . I've not liked the bought one as it's rubbery.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,185 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

what do you make with paneer? I bought a piece because I had heard of it and it was really cheap(just a couple dollars) but haven't found any recipes that sound like something the guys would even try

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA

Palau paneer or saag paneer ... yummo!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,719 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day-

Walk mostly w/family, to store n get nails done- 2hrs 46min 13sec, 86ahr, 145mhr, 212elev, 9.15mi= 884c
    Strava app = 1109c
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,719 Member
    Options
    I need the boot PIP! I am so off the wagon, I am wandering in the back woods somewhere!
    Haaaaalp!!!
    Rebecca

What the hell!!!! Really?!?!?! :::strapping on the steel toe boots on::::::

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Haaaaalp!!!
    Rebecca

What the hell!!!! Really?!?!?! :::strapping on the steel toe boots on::::::

Wheeeeeeeeeee..............!!!!!!! Ba-dummm.....dum.......!!! (Thank you Pip🙃😁😋)

Time to get my keeester, in gear.
    Time to say what I mean and mean what I say, gosh, darn it!💖😎
    Rebecca
    Hitting the reset button on
    Whidbey
    Washington
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    Did a body pump video today. Work tomorrow so no formal exercise

What would I bring to pass the time? Lots and lots of crafts, my tablet so I can read or play mahjongg, my phone, probably my laptop so I can check my email, exercise DVD’s and the needed props (bands, etc)

One week from today we go for our second vaccination!!!! Can’t come too soon for me, that’s for sure

Lisa – well, at least we’ll be in FL for 4 of those 6 weeks! When I first make my yogurt, it does come out loose. But then I drain it, and it’s much thicker.

Went to the gym then Food Lion to get some Triscuit and return the hot dogs I got, then dropped off some Coke caps to this lady, then Hallmark but they don’t open until 10 so I came home. So many stores are opening later, what a pain. I like to get things done then I can spend time with Vince.

Katla – they only pick up our recyclables once every two weeks and I tell you, after two weeks many times my recycling container is overflowing. I could probably go 4 weeks without the garbage being picked up. But it would be very heavy what with cleaning the cat litter box every day.

Heather – what a wonderful tribute to Captain Tom

Mrs_Hoffer – I usually cook my eggs for about 8 minutes. But I must say that it does depend a lot on a)how you like them and b) how many you are making at a time. I think I make about 6 at one time. Once I made 8 and I needed to cook it longer. The nice thing is that no matter how fresh they are, they peel so very nicely. When you cook them on the stove top and you go to peel fresh eggs, they come out looking like the moon crater. But not if you make them in the IP. I have no idea why, but it works. I usually add 1 cup to 1-1/2 cup of water and then the eggs. That’s IT

Has anyone used the top for the IP that makes it an air fryer? If so, how do you like it?

Vicki NE – welcome back!! We all missed you. I’m sorry you got COVID but glad you’re OK

Michele NC