March 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,439 Member
    Options
    I see everyone running this morning and yesterday, like @scott6255 and @marisap2010 and @kgirlhart and all I can think is ouchhhhh.

How much time do y’all take off after a race? I feel pretty stagnant but I’m trying to avoid injury as I have a half marathon at the end of May.

As a rule of thumb, I usually take 1 day for every 2 miles (I think...it's been so long since I have raced). But everybody is different. I remember @PastorVincent always running the very next day with no problem.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    I see everyone running this morning and yesterday, like @scott6255 and @marisap2010 and @kgirlhart and all I can think is ouchhhhh.

How much time do y’all take off after a race? I feel pretty stagnant but I’m trying to avoid injury as I have a half marathon at the end of May.

As a rule of thumb, I usually take 1 day for every 2 miles (I think...it's been so long since I have raced). But everybody is different. I remember @PastorVincent always running the very next day with no problem.

I tried running the day after my half, just a short slow 3km or so. It wasn't pretty but I think it helped. I was back to normal running on the Wednesday (race was Sunday)
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Scott6255 wrote: »

I tried running the day after my half, just a short slow 3km or so. It wasn't pretty but I think it helped. I was back to normal running on the Wednesday (race was Sunday)

I always try to run or walk within a day or two after. Otherwise I will take way longer than needed.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    3/17 - 1.67 mile easy effort
    3/18 - .98 mile steady state effort
    3/19 - 1.66 mile easy effort
    3/22 - 1.67 mile easy effort

Really looking forward to another week! :smile:

@MissAtomicBomb238 - Like @Avidkeo and @RunsOnEspresso have experienced, there is some real benefit to active recovery the day after a really tough workout/event. Keep your HR in your recovery zone, and go by feel to make sure you don't overstress anything. You will still need the full recovery time but you'll feel better during that recovery. It's also how a lot of PT for injuries are handled. Instead of resting the injury, it is lightly conditioned back to health.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options

My coach gives me a day off after a half (however, events are usually Sundays and Mondays are my day off anyway) otherwise a slow recovery run is always a good idea. There's no real need to take huge amounts of rest following a half, unless you've injured yourself/picked up a niggle or are feeling particularly beat up.

I'm always surprised how fast I run the week following an event so I usually enjoy running, although I will admit the first few kilometres can be tough/slow on tired legs.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,965 Member
    Options
    Glad you had a good run today @martaindale .

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Congrats @pfeiferlindsey on your 5k! Excellent job!

And @MissAtomicBomb238 great job on your HM!!! Including a potty stop that's an amazing time. Fantastic! I usually take a day or two off for a HM and sometimes up to a week. Last year though I ran 365 days and although I didn't race a HM, I did run the distance a couple of times and didn't take any time off after. But I kept it short and very easy for a few days. This time is a bit different because I'm still trying to recover from my back issues so I didn't run yesterday or today. But I did walk every day for 3-5 miles.

@scott6255 congrats on your time, that's so great.

Love all your hiking @martaindale. And I always think that if I take time off - I forgot how to run! I thought that during my HM on Saturday for sure.

@RunsOnEspresso good luck with your Yeti challenge this weekend. You'll do great.

@quilteryoyo you've been busy! Take it easy and enjoy the heating pad and some rest. Those puppies are too cute. I really want to snuggle one.

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    03/01/21 :::: 3.2 :::: 3.2
    03/02/21 :::: 2.1 :::: 5.2
    03/03/21 :::: 3.1 :::: 8.4
    03/04/21 :::: 2.9 :::: 11.2
    03/05/21 :::: 5.0 :::: 16.3
    03/06/21 :::: 9.0 :::: 25.3
    03/07/21 :::: 4.0 :::: 29.3
    03/08/21 :::: 2.4 :::: 31.7
    03/09/21 :::: 0.0 :::: 31.7
    03/10/21 :::: 3.7 :::: 35.4
    03/11/21 :::: 4.5 :::: 39.8
    03/12/21 :::: 10.1 :::: 50.0
    03/13/21 :::: 5.2 :::: 55.2
    03/14/21 :::: 3.1 :::: 58.3
    03/15/21 :::: 0.0 :::: 58.3
    03/16/21 :::: 0.0 :::: 58.3
    03/17/21 :::: 0.0 :::: 58.3
    03/18/21 :::: 0.0 :::: 58.3
    03/19/21 :::: 0.0 :::: 58.3
    03/20/21 :::: 13.3 :::: 71.6
    03/21/21 :::: 0.0 :::: 71.6
    03/22/21 :::: 0.0 :::: 71.6

Thank you all so much for the kudos for my HM. I have been trying to recover as well as possible. My back was a bit sore today from sitting too much I think, but it feels better after doing my exercises and using some heat. I also went to strength training and did some more upper body work. I go back to PT tomorrow morning.

I may run tomorrow, time permitting, because it's supposed to be really nice out. But work is a little busy and I still plan to hike this weekend so need to get stuff done.
  • pfeiferlindsey
    pfeiferlindsey Posts: 163 Member
    Options

It really depends. If it's an "A" race that I am running for time, I take several days off and allow myself to run what I want, when I want for the week following. If I'm running it for fun, maybe a day or two? I've ran the day after a half, it's not too bad.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,965 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic Puppy cuddles are the best. It's great that your back is doing so good after the HM! Enjoy your hike this weekend.

@marisap2010 Nice work on the run. I know weight gain is frustrating. Just focus. Stop the gain, and then worry about loosing it, if that is what you want to do.

@pfeiferlindsey Great job on your uphill run! I tend to do a lot of walking when I hit hills.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    @quilteryoyo I wish I had your energy!!!!

Says the man who has run EVERY SINGLE DAY THIS MONTH!