WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2021

Options

Replies

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    CJ - welcome home! we are still here puttering along, glad to see you back, sorry to hear what a tough go you have had, sending good thoughts to your family - what a strain on everyone. We all whine/rant sometimes and amazingly mysteriously we feel better and one of us comes along and sweeps away all the yuck and we are stronger together.

Kim in sunny Northern California
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I received a card from my granddaughter and am ready to send my reply back to her. I’ll take it to the post office this morning. It is difficult to be so far away. Sending letters is making me happier and the grandchildren happy, too.

The medical facility in our town has been reorganized. Our doctor is going to work in Portland and others will be assigned here. We’ll have to take things as they come. I don’t want to shift back to the Portland facilities, so will give the changes here a try.

Katla in NW Oregon
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    Well i have a drs appt at 1:45 for gout and will go see the boys in a bit and t hen to the drs.. then home..very windy here today
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,489 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: BP, Shadow to powerline, stroll/chat with Shadow and T above Harris Beach, one load laundry
    Bonus: more than 11K steps for the first time in forever!
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, bake cookies for firehall, call D re: sticky keyboard, Norton and windows updates, call S, Tues: hike with T, Grocery Outlet, Freddie’s, bank to turn in pennies and pick up old USB drive from safe deposit box, Wed: Tumble to dog group, Thurs: 2nd jab, Fri: Joe’s followup, ongoing: fire district: input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, call Credit union re: credit card, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; FM Cu, watch STAS Day 20, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Do Your Thing, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this spring’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers), First week in April: call Wild Rivers (541 247 3514) for dog wash/nail trim appointments.

Mindful March:
    28: Appreciate nature around you, wherever you are: stepped outside to view the moon with Joe. Air smelled good! Then stroll chat with Shadow and T above Harris Beach, gray skies, gray sparkling sea, still beautiful.
    29: Notice what is working today and be thankful that this is so: indoor plumbing of all sorts, internet, my creaky ol’ bod.

Today’s a capella sea shanty is for you speakers-of-Francais, Heather, Annie, Julie et al:
    Machka those morning Chihuahuas made me laugh out loud enough to wake Joe from his after breakfast nap. :laugh: Likewise your just feta and olive “salad”
    Allie “dopes” is right. People here are going to church unmasked, shaking hands, hugging, SMH. Even after I get my 2nd shot (Thursday yay), I’ll wait two weeks before returning to inside activities, and even then keep masking and washing washing washing my hands. Hope you get some relief quick! When your toes hurt, EVERYTHING hurts.
    Pat C in OH, OMG what a cutie your GGS is. Hope your grands have a plan to fend off all the girls that will chase after him and his brother . . . ;)
    Heather “just listening” is the very greatest gift your DH could give Max. What a memory they made! Max looks so happy!
    Kelly was just thinking how lucky those kiddos (and their parents) are to be in your day care/early learning environment when I saw your “beach”. WOW. Schlepping 250 lbs of sand, what a workout! :love: the pics of bare toes wiggling in the sand :smiley: In our county, “performers” are exempt from the masking requirement, could that be an out for your re-enactors? Then again, what Tracey said, it might be better in the long run to postpone another year while pursuing some kind of bridging grants/funding.
    Julie “…"ok let's do charity work to feel or be good." sometimes my heart is totally into the volunteer work and i don't give it a second thought - it seems like a must-…” Like your insight. Charity work done to make me feel good, doesn’t. Feels more like an obligation or a dread task. Projects that grab my heart or mind don’t feel like drudgery, and do make me feel productive and needed.
    Tracey :brokenheart: for your cousin’s situation and holding good thoughts for the repairs. I like Machka’s idea of Rodger helping with dinner… or even doing it all ? ;)
    Margaret, thanks for letting us know we can provide info even when we cannot get info. Is there a way we can pre-allow our spouses to get information in case we’re incapacitated or not in our right minds?
    Rebecca you almost make seaweed sound tasty! :laugh:
    Katla I still (at 70+) get hot flashes at night, blame it on the Joe keeping the thermostat way up and the dogs throwing out heat. Very thankful for Alendronate, my osteoporosis has halted its progression and in some areas even regressed to osteopenia :sweat_smile:
    Carol beautiful azaleas, especially like the purple ones. Our white rhodies might be on the verge of blooming, but the other colors not yest.
    Welcome @wm6810 Wendy in GA! There are other Georgia peaches here too.
    Welcome @plaintap would you let us know what you’d like to be called and your general locale? Your beautiful orchids remind me how I’m missing @SuzyQ113 who grows them outdoors in FL.
    Welcome @donnalux in Ontario!
    Tina in SoCal “…out of courtesy” Joe here too. He loves to watch horror flicks, everything from suspense to slashers. They give me nightmares. So if I’m in the house, he’ll watch something else or read. Likewise, I’m looking forward to having lamb chops when he goes to Medford for his followup. He thinks they stink.
    Tina in upstate NY, I found it easier to be active when I was still working. Retirement removed that external structure so then I had to rely on internal discipline, uh oh, no fun! Instead I found FUN activites (like line dancing and aqua Zumba). That really helped, until we moved away from the swim center and then the pandemic hit. Lately stroll chatting with a new friend has filled that void for me… and we’re working our way up to some real hiking ;)
    Michele SMH at the ceramics owner, she could lose her business, or worse yet some of her customers, by being so lax. It it were me, I’d bring wipes, and wipe everything down BEFORE I sat down or used it, then again when I was done. Model the behavior you want to see. “move some stones up a hill…” You sound like Sisyphus!
    Kate congrats on the pound! Was startled to read “…My blue tits…” then I remembered your birds :devil:
    Cheri good for Mitch for keeping you safe from exposure, minimizing stress. Always good to see your smiling face.
    Kylia hooray for the remote access computer work. Catching up on paperwork in comfies beats having to dress to the shoes to work near uncooperative relatives. ;) Typing while in the dental chair? :noway: Now that’s multitasking !
    CJ Welcome back. :heartbreak: Thank you for filling us in, what a heartbreaking time you’ve had of it all. This is a safe place to share feelings. As Kelly said “…what bothers us, family life, relationships....it all affects the health choices we make.” I remember you and while I’m sorry for all you’ve been through I especially grieve for your horse.:cry:
    Teri “savour inactivity
    or assume control”
    Exactly!
    Lisa as chef, will Johnny be the authority?
    Barbie “You have been there for others. Now, be there for yourself.” Best advice ever.
    Betsy yours to Karen in VA about life and who we are. Perfect. Prayers continue for your sister and the caregivers at Swedish Medical.
    Kim yours to CJ, especially “…we are stronger together.” Congratulations for finding a vaccine appointment. We had to go to another state (California from Oregon) but it’s only 30 miles away… ;)

Been sittin’ long enough. Won’t make my steps if I stay on my butt any longer. Time to get out and seize this gloriously sunny but fiercely windy day.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    March: leaner/stronger/kinder than January and February.
    daily: sit with Joe: 23, weigh: 28, steps>5627=11148 ?!? vits=28, log=28, CI<CO=24, CI<250<CO=16, Tumble=19 Shadow=21 mfp=28 outside=19 up hill=18
    wkly: BB&B, T’ai Chi=4 or SWSY or wii=6 x5= rx=4 dance= clean 60 mins=7 packwalk=6, wt=2/28:142.4, 3/7:144.4 waah! :sad:, 3/14:140.7 :bigsmile:, 3/21 143.3 :rage:, 3/28 142.0 ok, 3/31 .
    mnthly: board mtg=1, grant=1 , 21 plan= bonus: AF=13 play=7 sew= waist=42.5
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,946 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Finally getting back on track this morning. After not tracking my food since mid Dec/not sticking with the IF(and gaining the weight I lost while I was sick/Covid).
    Starting today at 145.5- didn't weigh myself this morning but that is what the dr. scale told me when I went a few weeks ago and assume that is what I am weighing now(was close to that last week on my scale while fully dressed)
    My body is NOT liking the extra weight or something- hip and knee are really hurting the past week and a half.
    I will be making a few changes, mainly sticking with 1200 cal a day like FP said instead of 1000(in case I missed something and for sure not "cheat" and add something I didn't really eat to get to that 1000 so it would track it). Just need to make better choices.
    goal weight is 127-129.
    First goal is 135.
    Husband went and walked with me at the park yesterday which was nice- would have been better if my knee wasn't hurting and it wasn't so warm- needed capri and tank top, not long sleeve tshirt and flannel type leggings.

I took long enough off, now to get on track and do better.
    Back on vitamins too- hoping hair stops falling out. And hope issues with my stomach clear up- I am eating soooo much candied ginger- had to make a new batch yesterday.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • Katla49
    Options
    Our appointments for 2nd vaccinations are tomorrow. I had fits trying to confirm online and finally called the store. They will handle it for me. Our local Walgreens have a good staff. I plan to say thanks to them in person.
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    KJ (Kelly), Wowsa, pulling the tarp with the sand! You are our Rocky! All you do with your childcare amazes me! Of course way back when, my front living room was more an Owain play area than anything. Parents of kids I had over for the two older sons would ask me if I ran a daycare! No, but I guess I could have. It was a one level home, with living room right from the front door, then beyond was the kitchen and smaller living room with a fireplace. We just used that. So the front part had all our 7 oak book cases, then with cathedral ceilings it was quite nice. Vallejo, CA was nice walking, but everyone kept to themselves and it was difficult making friends. I would wave to people but they never made it across the street to have coffee. But I did a lot of walking!
    This week I am treating Galen to some ramen! Bought bok choy, green onions, bean sprouts, and some pre made pork chops I will just reheat in some soy sauce/chicken stock mixture. Then going to attempt to make "ramen eggs". I have some jumbo shrimp for me, then we have seaweed sprinkles to sprinkle on top of soup. After our ramen, (or before!), I bought some seaweed crunchy snacks. Like a pretzel with a strip of seaweed wrapped around it, and dunked in soy sauce (taste).
    Well onward and upward! Time to do some writing!
    Hugs ladies!
    Rebecca
    Still cold in Whidbey
    Washington

Athena time:💕
    foxfscddgvrb.jpeg
    p9wg8w2apq5l.jpeg

Rebecca, when did you live in Vallejo? Where you in military housing? Husband grew up two blocks from it. His mom still lives in the same house.
    Still not a real friendly town-still keep to themselves it seems.
    Debbie
    Debbie
    We lived there from Dec 1998 to 2003 but husband had just retired from the Navy. So not military housing but we lived on Legend Circle behind Target up on the hill. It was a great house, and the back yard had a huge cement pad. Off to the side was dirt, so at one point I bought a whole bunch of dirt and had the side part tilled in and I tried to grow a garden. Unfortunately Vallejo is 90% sand so everything was choked out. Then we bought a huge wooden play set and put 50 bags of play sand around! We bought a "soft" tub that we just plugged in with a gazebo. Then a pool on top of those puzzle foam mats on the cement. It was a great outdoor space! I also had an umbrella style clothesline. The boys refer to that era as "the rich phase" because Lee worked as a purchasing agent for a construction company building the Bay Bridge. So starting out he kind of was ridiculously overpaid. I will try to find pics.😁👍
    Hugs Rebecca
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I miss feeling cool.

Never thought I would say that because I love the heat when it is happening outside ... but feeling hot ALL THE TIME is getting a bit old.

Apparently it is not actually as hot as I think it is.

I don't have a fever. Temp between about 36.3 and 36.6. My thyroid is normal. I don't have diabetes - everything is absolutely normal in that regard. I'm not in any pain*. And I have absolutely no problem sweating.

I'm cooler when I exercise outside but even getting up and walking around the office for a minute or two when I feel really hot helps a little bit.

I don't drink hot drinks - I let my coffee and tea cool. I drink a lot of cold water.

I wear cool clothes even on chilly days and when I get home, I'm in shorts and a tank top. My clothing choices for work are narrowing. I'm down to sleeveless tops and skirts or sleeveless dresses.

*Regarding pain: I don't feel pain when I'm normally hot, but when I have a hot flush, I do. A hot flush is even hotter than my normal hot. I feel like I'm burning up and my skin goes all prickly and painful.

Why do I feel hot but have no fever?
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/why-do-i-feel-hot-but-no-fever

Machka in Oz

I'm sorry you're feeling particularly uncomfortable with heat. My momma had a hard time with hot flashes, and I think the nape of her short haircut was always damp from it. When I had " my hot flashes era" I remember at night it would wash over me like a itchy wool blanket. My mouth and brain felt fuzzy, and I felt claustrophobic with it all! I would have to get up, and have a mental chat with myself, drink cold water,band just try to breathe. Now that I am thru that era, I am always cold with purple-y looking toes and fingers. Once I take a hot shower I'm good. Hugs to you!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington

That's a really good description! It is like a prickly, itchy wool blanket on a very hot day ... and I hadn't thought of it as feeling claustrophobic, but it is. I feel much better if I can get up and even just pace about a bit.

It's the worst during my 45-60 minute bus rides. The buses are so hot with no ventilation anyway and then I go through a series of those things and of course, I can't get up and move.

M in Oz

Oh man that would be awful, getting it on a bus! Hugs! I guess I was lucky that way, because it was only at night. Also the claustrophobic sensation was because it was dark. So I remember getting up, getting a glass of something turning on the living room light to just distract me, and calm myself down. I don't think I ever got my hot flashes during the day, because for the most part Vacaville CA was just hot anyway. Maybe I just didnt notice it? Who knows!
    Rebecca

I'm hot all day and night ... and then even hotter when I have the hot flashes which occur mainly in the day. I get 2 or 3 at night, but they come much more frequently in the day.

In a 1-hour bus ride, I will usually have at least 2 ... as well as feeling hot and uncomfortable in general.

At work or at home, they come about once an hour ... burning, painful, nauseating, and claustrophobic.

Fortunately, I have a desk fan at work which is on all day and takes some of the heat off.

Today's bus ride to work was actually pretty good. It was a cool morning and fortunately, the driver did not decide to crank the heat up to 30 degrees to compensate. He had it at quite a reasonable temperature. That made a big difference ... and I only had 1 hot flash just a few minutes before we reached my destination.

M in Oz

I am so sorry, Mother Nature is a cruel mistress, and you seemed to have gotten more than your quota of hot flashes! I would be yelling at strangers in the bus, "GIVE ME SPACE PEOPLE"! Well maybe not out loud, but my looks would be killer stares!
    Well let's hope this situation doesn't continue for too long. Hugs!
    Rebecca
  • Whidislander
    Options
    CJ, I am so sorry for all your family has gone thru! ((((((((((hugs))))))) from a friend on Whidbey Island in Washington State.💖💖🙏🙏🙏
    Know we all are a click away.
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD, Awe seaweed IS tasty, like if you only eat the outside of a salmon, throw some soy sauce and ditch the scales, and oil. Woohoo! King Neptune's crackers!
    😁👍 Rebecca
    923utt3dna3j.jpg
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,946 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    KJ (Kelly), Wowsa, pulling the tarp with the sand! You are our Rocky! All you do with your childcare amazes me! Of course way back when, my front living room was more an Owain play area than anything. Parents of kids I had over for the two older sons would ask me if I ran a daycare! No, but I guess I could have. It was a one level home, with living room right from the front door, then beyond was the kitchen and smaller living room with a fireplace. We just used that. So the front part had all our 7 oak book cases, then with cathedral ceilings it was quite nice. Vallejo, CA was nice walking, but everyone kept to themselves and it was difficult making friends. I would wave to people but they never made it across the street to have coffee. But I did a lot of walking!
    This week I am treating Galen to some ramen! Bought bok choy, green onions, bean sprouts, and some pre made pork chops I will just reheat in some soy sauce/chicken stock mixture. Then going to attempt to make "ramen eggs". I have some jumbo shrimp for me, then we have seaweed sprinkles to sprinkle on top of soup. After our ramen, (or before!), I bought some seaweed crunchy snacks. Like a pretzel with a strip of seaweed wrapped around it, and dunked in soy sauce (taste).
    Well onward and upward! Time to do some writing!
    Hugs ladies!
    Rebecca
    Still cold in Whidbey
    Washington

Athena time:💕
    foxfscddgvrb.jpeg
    p9wg8w2apq5l.jpeg

Rebecca, when did you live in Vallejo? Where you in military housing? Husband grew up two blocks from it. His mom still lives in the same house.
    Still not a real friendly town-still keep to themselves it seems.
    Debbie
    Debbie
    We lived there from Dec 1998 to 2003 but husband had just retired from the Navy. So not military housing but we lived on Legend Circle behind Target up on the hill. It was a great house, and the back yard had a huge cement pad. Off to the side was dirt, so at one point I bought a whole bunch of dirt and had the side part tilled in and I tried to grow a garden. Unfortunately Vallejo is 90% sand so everything was choked out. Then we bought a huge wooden play set and put 50 bags of play sand around! We bought a "soft" tub that we just plugged in with a gazebo. Then a pool on top of those puzzle foam mats on the cement. It was a great outdoor space! I also had an umbrella style clothesline. The boys refer to that era as "the rich phase" because Lee worked as a purchasing agent for a construction company building the Bay Bridge. So starting out he kind of was ridiculously overpaid. I will try to find pics.😁👍
    Hugs Rebecca

You moved here after I did. I moved here in 1992. We are over where Walmart was at the time along with Food 4 Less. Husband's dad worked at Mare Island as a civilian after retiring from Air Force.
    We live on the Vallejo/American Canyon border

I plant all my garden in either the raised beds that my parents built me for my birthday or in large pots- I tried one year to plant in the ground- just clay around here-

LOVE seaweed now- When I first ate it, made me sick to my stomach, now, I eat it all the time.
    I can't eat rice without the furikake- son calls them sprinkles.
    I really like the crackers that have wasabi and seaweed.
    I have all kinds of flavors of nori- great crunchy snack- need to pull more out and keep them on the counter- better choice to snack on than some of husband's snacks he keeps on the table.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Barbara--I am also having problems hiring people. I am having a lot of no call\no show interiews. I believe it is because of the money they can get for unemployment is better than working. I know my son was laid off for a couple months this winter and he was making more and didn't have to pay day care.

CJ--Glad to have you back. We all have different things we are dealing with and that is what is so great about this group. We listen and do not judge. We give support.

It was a nice weekend. On Saturday DGD and I went and got our nails done. She is so funny and picks what I think are drap colors, I go for bright and glitterly. Then Sunday was church and out for lunch with some friends from church. Did some yard work and then went for motorcycle ride with DH. Weekend went by way to fast.

Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND ,NE <3
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Kim. - I’m doing the happy dance cuz you got your vaccine appointments! Woohoo!!!

Karen in Virginia
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    Well back from the drs and picked prescriptions, prednisone and allopurinol.. well i was told to take prednisone with food and to take it early as it wont let you sleep so i just took it, wont take at bedtime, lord knows i dont need to be up longer than i usually am ..
    Tomorrow is my second shot,ive heard mixed reviews some have symptoms, some dont,Tom had no problems ,but will let Dan take my car for weds and will get it Thursday
  • Katla49
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Kim: I am happy you have found vaccine, even if it is quite a drive to get there. Worth it in my opinion. :heart:

Allie: My mom had a gouty pinky toe. She wore a pad on it when it got sore. I hope your doctor’s appointment is very successful. :smiley:

Barbara: I haven’t had a hot flash in a LONG time. Yay!!! Alondrate has done a good job keeping my bones healthy for several years, and I take one weekly. I heard about it from Barbie. It was a huge improvement over the daily pills. :bigsmile:

Heather: Your flowers in the window are beautiful! :smiley:

I received a letter from my granddaughter the other day and sent her a reply in today’s mail. It is a pleasure to write to the kids as individuals. I received a letter from her younger brother a few weeks ago. I sent him a reply as soon as I could. I enjoyed sending messages to each of them. It seems more personal than a phone call, although we make calls, too. I am saving their letters to me in a file. :heart:

Katla in NW Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,545 Member
    Options
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    Worked today so no formal exercise. The plan for tomorrow is to do a body pump DVD

Allie – (((HUG))) I understand (sort-of) how you feel. Vince had an attack of gout and he wanted them to cut off his foot it hurt so bad. Good luck at the doctor’s

Have a hair cut appt for tomorrow. This hair is really bothering me

Kim – yea for the scheduling! I’m very surprised that CA hasn’t gotten enough doses, but I’m glad you are able to get the shots

Barbara – the ceramics lady doesn’t own the business, she works for the City of Hickory. I guess we shall see what happens. I thought of the same thing “blue tits”

Vicki – I know that they’re having a hard time finding workers for Food Lion.

Mahjongg tonight. Just got back from bowling.

Michele NC