Note to Miley Cyrus.....

Options

Replies

• just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    *sigh*. Ok. whatever.

Her attire was trashy as was her performance. I would discourage any women or men from behaving in such a way, especially in public. If she wasn't a rich famous singer with a rich famous daddy, she'd be in a strip joint with that sort of attire and behavior. It is a fact that she's a someone our kids look up to. I do not want my son thinking this is appropriate dress or behavior for any human, regardless of what their body looks like. You don't think our kids should be brought up to feel body shamed, then teach them to respect each other and themselves. Without one they can't really have the other. Teach them that superstars are, generally speaking, not real role models and to stop idolizing them. You find more quality people looking to your own neighborhood then you do looking to TV.

The bottom line is that she's an entertainer and she was doing just that: Entertaining. Whether or not you liked it doesn't matter. Do you think she cares? Do you think she's on MFP right now crying because you're saying she's a trashy stripper? Doubtful. She set out to cause a ruckus and do something that people are going to talk about and she succeeded.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    *You don't think our kids should be brought up to feel body shamed, then teach them to respect each other and themselves. Without one they can't really have the other.

So you can't have respect without shame? Wait. What!?!?! Respect based on shaming someone else isn't respect at all.
  • WhoDat5o4
    WhoDat5o4 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    For me the most offensive part of her performance was her use of women of color as "props".
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    People, it's not that serious...
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    *You don't think our kids should be brought up to feel body shamed, then teach them to respect each other and themselves. Without one they can't really have the other.

So you can't have respect without shame? Wait. What!?!?! Respect based on shaming someone else isn't respect at all.

you can't respect others if you don't respect yourself..
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    I know you all will jump on me for this. but i think it's people like this, that teach our kids this kind of dress and behavior is acceptable and ok, that help contribute to teen pregnancy and promiscuity, maybe even promote it. That is why i'm not ok with this behavior or dress in any way shape or form. yes i'm aware that's an opinion and yes i'm aware there are other factors. There are plenty of ways to show that you are sexy and that you are confident. This is not the way to do it and not the way i'd want my children to do it. There are plenty of way to dance provocatively without looking as through you should be between the sheets, plenty of ways to be sexy without being practically naked on stage. She's not just some random person who acts a fool, She is someone our kids look up to. It's not behavior that should be accepted.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I know you all will jump on me for this. but i think it's people like this, that teach our kids this kind of dress and behavior is acceptable and ok, that help contribute to teen pregnancy and promiscuity, maybe even promote it. That is why i'm not ok with this behavior or dress in any way shape or form. yes i'm aware that's an opinion and yes i'm aware there are other factors. There are plenty of ways to show that you are sexy and that you are confident. This is not the way to do it and not the way i'd want my children to do it. There are plenty of way to dance provocatively without looking as through you should be between the sheets, plenty of ways to be sexy without being practically naked on stage. She's not just some random person who acts a fool, She is someone our kids look up to. It's not behavior that should be accepted.

But its your job as a parent to teach your kids values, not a celebrities.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

If your kids are looking up to pop stars as role models, that is definitely not the pop star's fault.

Teenage pregnancy occurs because there is a lack of education and access to contraception. Because, wait for it, teenagers having sex from a biological standpoint is completely NORMAL.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I saw the foam finger on ebay this morning
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, who?
  • CaliforniaBarbie
    CaliforniaBarbie Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    goodness people why so serious?
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options

But its your job as a parent to teach your kids values, not a celebrities.

Of course it is. But you live in reality correct? Do you have children? They idolize celebrities whether you want them to or not. Unless you do not allow them to engage in anything pertaining to media. (Which is impossible.) they are going to see it and it will make an impression. You can beat it into their heads that this is not appropriate dress or behavior. Teenagers especially will make up their own minds and don't give a lick what you think about it. If they think it's ok and want to dress that way, good luck stopping it. I knew girls who'd change after leaving the house because their parents wouldn't let them dress the way they wanted to. Kids are influenced and taught by everything around them. Of course parents are the most influential, but it's completely naive to think that just because I teach my children properly, they won't go to the opposite to appear cool or because their idol did it so they want to.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

God...do you live in that Footloose town?!
  • Michelle_dirtracer
    Options
    Is that her "sexy" face? I would hate to see her "O" face.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Your job is to teach your children who and what is worthy of their respect and admiration. Your kids are not anyone else's problem.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options

If your kids are looking up to pop stars as role models, that is definitely not the pop star's fault.

Teenage pregnancy occurs because there is a lack of education and access to contraception. Because, wait for it, teenagers having sex from a biological standpoint is completely NORMAL.

Pop stars/ celebrities/ sports stars.. pick your poison. Nobody is perfect. But when you're in the public eye, you've got a higher level of responsibility for moral and ethical behavior. yes the line for that varies, but obviously a vast number of people think Miley crossed that line and i'd bet she knows it and just doesn't care. To a young impressionable not fully developed teenage mind.. not an impression i'd want them to idolize. Mine or anyone's else's child.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-3667-1377538521-13.gif

anigif_enhanced-buzz-3902-1377541253-16.gif

anigif_enhanced-buzz-3030-1377539077-56.gif

anigif_enhanced-buzz-20284-1377548755-0.gif
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    For me the most offensive part of her performance was her use of women of color as "props".

^ This ^.

I find the direction she has been taking lately really offputting. The whole "If you want to look "cool" and "edgy" and "tough," just steal the styles and dance moves of black people."

A rich white woman, is playing at being a minority specifically from a lower socio-economic level. :noway: Also while resembling a humpy toddler (with the outfits, 'dancing' and the teddy bear props).

But hey, perhaps the women she is surrounded by in her recent video and at the VMAs ARE her close girly mates. :grumble:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Pop stars/ celebrities/ sports stars.. pick your poison. Nobody is perfect. But when you're in the public eye, you've got a higher level of responsibility for moral and ethical behavior. yes the line for that varies, but obviously a vast number of people think Miley crossed that line and i'd bet she knows it and just doesn't care. To a young impressionable not fully developed teenage mind.. not an impression i'd want them to idolize. Mine or anyone's else's child.

She's a pop singer - not a morality representative. You don't get to decide how other people live their lives or publicly present themselves.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Terrible, disgusting, strange, just don't get it. Need I say more.