July 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Oh my @martaindale, I could not do scorpions.

Or snakes. Or coyotes. Or skunks. Or any of the other bitey stingy stinky critters everyone here seems to encounter on a daily basis.

Growing up in NZ makes you soft. All I have to worry about is gnats. I hate gnats. Got one in my eye early on in a run a few days ago which was horrid. I kept thinking I could feel it then told myself I was looking for excuses to stop running. I assumed it had scratched my eyelid which is why I had some discomfort so, told myself off, tried to ignore it and kept on running. Imagine my surprise when I pulled down my lower eyelid in front of the mirror at home only to find the little bug there!

Don't forget snails. Those things can be deadly.

OK maybe not deadly but definitely unpleasant to step on!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,649 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Oh my @martaindale, I could not do scorpions.

Or snakes. Or coyotes. Or skunks. Or any of the other bitey stingy stinky critters everyone here seems to encounter on a daily basis.

Growing up in NZ makes you soft. All I have to worry about is gnats. I hate gnats. Got one in my eye early on in a run a few days ago which was horrid. I kept thinking I could feel it then told myself I was looking for excuses to stop running. I assumed it had scratched my eyelid which is why I had some discomfort so, told myself off, tried to ignore it and kept on running. Imagine my surprise when I pulled down my lower eyelid in front of the mirror at home only to find the little bug there!

Don't forget snails. Those things can be deadly.

OK maybe not deadly but definitely unpleasant to step on!

Not encountered snails while running, yet, but do recall a run a few years ago with an unfathomably large number of dead worms...
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,957 Member
    Options
    @ContraryMaryMary I'm not a fan of gnats either. I hate getting them in my eye or having one fly right into the back of your throat. Yuck. BTW, I have found the best way to remove a gnat from my eye pain free is to wet my fingertip and touch the bug. It'll stick to your finger and the moisture keeps it from hurting when you do.

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,434 Member
    Options
    Welcome @Zoomie402! 12 hour shifts are tough, especially 12 on / 12 off. My son is currently working that (night shift). Taking it slow and steady is the right strategy.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,708 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    July 1 – 5.62 miles
    July 3 – 8.07 miles
    July 4 – 3.01 miles
    July 5 – 5.03 miles

We have a floating holiday from work today so I left the house this morning with a very loose agenda on my mind. I ran a new trail that I have admired from a distance while driving on the interstate and have wanted to run. It wasn’t a technical trail but a paved, city trail. It was fairly flat so my pace was a teeny bit faster than normal. After that I went blueberry picking. The berries are just beginning to ripen so it took a while to fill my container. The area was in the mountains of North Carolina and it was a beautiful morning to pick berries.

@skippygirls mom – Beautiful falls! I bet the water was so cold but refreshing after the hike.

@martaindale – I’ve never encountered a scorpion. Can you spray or treat the house with something to kill them? Or at least make them vacate the premises?

Gosh @polskagirl01 – that’s enough to make you stop signing up and training for races. What lovely, green fields in your picture!

Hope your brother is doing ok @WhatMeRunning

@RunsonEspresso – Maybe you just need to adjust your marathon pace goal.

Welcome @Zoomie402!

Squats are hard on the knees @sweetdaisy13. Hope your pain leaves as swiftly as your running pace!

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,957 Member
    Options
    7-1 2.1 miles running and 1.0 mile walking (Hill Repeats after cutting cedars for almost 1.5 hours)
    7-2 0.0 miles running but 1.0 mile walking on treadmill (also played doubles tennis this morning)
    7-3 9.0 miles running, 1.0 mile walking (easy pace, but not an easy run)
    7-4 0.0 miles running, 1.0 mile walking laps on the driveway
    7-5 2.3 miles running, 1.0 mile walking (also played doubles tennis for almost 2 hours, outdoors)
    7-6 0.0 miles running, 1.0 mile walking

MT = 13.4/70 miles running: 6.0/31miles walking

I hade my 6 month cardiology follow up today. The talked to the cardiologist, well, his Nurse Practitioner, about my heart pounding so much during tennis yesterday...and that I was breathing harder than I normally would. She said, "Well, you were playing tennis." in a voice that said, you were exercising so of course you are going to be breathing harder. I finally got her to understand that it was not normal for me to be breathing that hard playing tennis, but I wasn't what I would call "short of breath." I wasn't dizzy or weak or anything like that. She said my heart sounded healthy and none of my medications should be causing that reaction, so she was a little bit perplexed about the pounding heart. She did say if it happened again to call them and she would order a heart monitor patch for me to wear to see if I was having some sort of arrhythmia. Otherwise, everything checked out and I don't have to go back for 8 months.

While we were in Johnson City, I ran by the VA to pick up some stuff they had found that belonged to my cousin, then went and visited with him - having him sign the VA form for me to resend so that they will talk to me about his claim. He looked and sounded good. It's the first time I have been allowed into the facility. It's nice. The rooms are a little small for two people, but it is really clean and smell nice - not like a nursing home or the apartments he was in before. I'm glad he is there. I think he is too.

Mom and I stopped at Zaxby's and got a 4 piece chicken finger plate to go for lunch/dinner. It was 1:30 and we were hungry. We made one more stop, then I ate mine when I got home at 2:40.

I was so tired I laid down for a nap. I had intended to get up at 4, but got a phone call and didn't really get to "rest" until then. I wound up napping and not getting up until 6 pm! Since I am working the 6:30 - 3:30 shift at daycare tomorrow, I am really going to try to get to bed early. That being the case, I chose to not run, but take my mile walk in the neighbor's field and call that cross training. It was 86°F with a feel like of 87°F, but the entire route is shady this time of day, so it wasn't too bad.

hahaha @Tramboman "I have no use for creepy crawly bitey stingy things either." I totally agree.

@polskagirl01 It stinks about your 30K race being canceled. The organizers will probably find they will have even less people sign up next year. Glad you are doing other fun things instead. It is beautiful there!

@WhatMeRunning Sounds like your pace isn't suffering from not running as much as planned. I hope your brother is okay.

Sometimes you just have to do what you can do and forget what the plan calls for @RunsOnEspresso . Sounds like you put it all out there, so you did great!

Welcome @Zoomie402 !

Nice pace @sweetdaisy13 . Hope your knees quit hurting.

Sounds like a nice day @Teresa502 ! It takes a long time to fill your bucket with blueberries, even if they are all ripe. Freshly picked ones are so good though.

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @teresa502 nah, my mp is fine. It was an off day. Have done plenty of speed work at that pace and faster including last week.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart I'm cracking up at the donkey having his own home. 🤣