August 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,024 Member
    Options
    @martaindale Nice job on the run and finding the much needed water supply. Happy Birthday to your husband! A brownie and ice cream sounds yummy.

@kgirlhart Cheating on Hal on the first day. SMH. :lol: Sounds like you had a good run, despite getting out later and it being so hot and humid. Thanks for your support on my half. We shall see. I still haven't made my hotel reservations!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    So just a curiosity question... If you didn't have to get up at oh-dark 30 because of work or whatever would you still get up that early to run?
    I no longer need to be up early for work and find it so difficult to get up and out the door... I fool myself into thinking I and 'best training; but honestly it would be so much easier if I just got up earlier regularly.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @shanaber yes I would still get up early to run if I didn't have to work. That's when it is the coolest, and I don't take time away from anyone in the family while they sleep.
    Now that I think about it, if I was retired, I might need to get out of the house just to get away from the family 😁
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    So just a curiosity question... If you didn't have to get up at oh-dark 30 because of work or whatever would you still get up that early to run?
    I no longer need to be up early for work and find it so difficult to get up and out the door... I fool myself into thinking I and 'best training; but honestly it would be so much easier if I just got up earlier regularly.

I am a stay-at-home mom, but I do plan around getting back before my children wake up. That said, I've always been a morning person and I love being up before everyone else is when everything is quiet. I definitely need that time without other people. Right now, as @Scott6255 says, I also like that it's cooler. Maybe in the winter time, if I didn't have kids at home, I'd be more likely to run in the middle of the day. The roads would already be plowed and sidewalks shoveled, for the most part. But passing cars would also be throwing sleet at me. Hm.

Distance Log:
    Aug 2: 4.17 miles
    Aug 4: 4.80
    Aug 6: 5.94
    Aug 9: 5.74
    Aug 11: 2.75
    Aug 16: 5.86

Total: 29.26/60 miles
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options

I find running to be a good way to start my day.
  • Scott6255
    Options
    6 miles this morning. First 3 were tough, but found my stride for the last 3.

exercise.png
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    @shanaber - I get up earlier on weekends than weekdays for my runs (walks currently). In my case it's that I can not do it later after the kids are up (complicated) and a long time/distance can only be done super early.

Without work or kids to consider, I would likely sleep in though. Or take naps.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @rheddmobile Glad you got some relief from the heat. You did great with your run. And YEAH for scoring those shoes!

@shanaber I'm right there with you. I can not get myself out of bed when I don't HAVE to. Take this morning for instance. I set the alarm for 5:45 and kept hitting the snooze until I finally made myself get up at 7:30. When I got up this morning, I thought if I am going to do that, I shouldn't even set the alarm. I'd at least get better sleep for that extra 1.5 hours.

Glad your last 3 miles were good @Scott6255 !

• martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,095 Member
    Options

During the summer, definitely. I'm with @Scott6255 in that it's just too hot to wait much later. During the winter I'd probably go about 9-10 after I ate breakfast and had a couple cups of coffee if I had my druthers.
    My work schedule has gotten earlier and my running is early, so now I pretty much get up by 6:30-7 even if I'm really trying to sleep in. I also really like the peace and quiet of the morning and the accomplishment of getting my run in before my day even really gets started!
  • Scott6255
    Options
    So cool about Skip working at ESPN+ @skippygirlsmom!! She looks like a natural behind (and in front) of a camera! I know you are soooooo proud!!!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

Only in summer. Because heat.

Winter weekends? I enjoy coffee before heading out.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom It seems like yesterday I was congratulating you on Skip’s high school graduation! Wow she’s a senior! Great photos.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    8/15 - 1 mile

August total: 1 mile

I guess I'll log the one mile test run on my foot which I did during yesterday's walk. I haven't noticed any changes for the worse with that plantar fasciitis today, so I'll be doing some more brief run tests during some of my walks over the next few weeks.

I figure I'll keep my current walk mileage and run on it twice this week for a mile during a walk, then if no issues I'll try 3 times next week. Then maybe build the mileage slowly from there, or work towards 4 or 5 days/week. Just not sure what is best at this time but going to play it safe as I go.

The issue never seemed to go away, just subside. I was able to walk several miles daily with no issues, but have noticed downhills, particularly steep downhills and down stairs being a touch sensitive. Not sure what to make of that except limit the amount of hills.

So far my approach has been to walk on it as long as it doesn't hurt it, and will use that same approach with the additional running.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Yeah for Skip! That work ethic is going to get help her rise in the ranks quickly.

@WhatMeRunning Sounds like your plan is working. Hope you are able to run more soon without any pain.