August 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,004 Member
    Options
    It's really good to see you back @7lenny7 ! I've missed you! I'm glad your plantar fasciitis is better! Hang in there. Cooler weather is just around the corner, I hope!

@penguinmama87 Nice running with the kids.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Great to hear from you again @7lenny7! Sorry the PF monster got to you too 🤬
    But hopefully you are on your way back. Take it slow and easy!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @Scott6255 Glad the treadmill wasn't too awful for you! It's great to have that alternative.

@julieannegannon You are doing great.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Glad to see you back! Can't wait to hear about your races. I hope your PF continues to heal ok! There seems to be a bit of it going around.

@polskagirl01 Nice hike/run. Hilarious that you beat your family back down the hill!

@RunsOnEspresso Sorry you are having a hard time with the wagon. Early in the pandemic I had a hard time wanting to run. Partially stress, partially schedule disruption. On days where I just didn't want to run, I went for a walk. It helped. Like @tramboman said, a little something is better than nothing and it helps get your mind and body ready for more. Hang in there! I know your summer has been brutally hot and I'm sure life gives you plenty to do but you'll be ready to hop on the wagon soon enough.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    The only reason I started trying to run on it was something @Scott6255 said (and don't worry Scott, I don't/won't blame you if it goes sideways). He mentioned that he never seemed to notice it getting better by not running, and basically reduced his volume and intensity until it got better (hope I understood his intent correct, that's how I read it). So based on how things have gone so far, I figured if I can walk on it, I should try running on it, and simply go up or down in volume/intensity based on feel.

Yes sir, you are correct. Total rest has never helped my 3 bouts of PF over the years. Walking every day until it I didn't feel any pain, then slowly introduce run/walk intervals. Then being very conservative, increase run / decrease walk. If pain starts increasing, go back down. Once pain is gone, start single leg calf raises (slowly raise/lower) for prevention.
    And as @7lenny7 mentioned, golf ball rolling under foot is the only thing that helps reduce the pain (for me).
    I still do that every single day just as a preventative.

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    It's good to have you back, @7lenny7 !!!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @7lenny7 I'm so glad it didn't take 18 months before you were able to run again! Sounds like you are taking a great, reasonable, and healthy approach to getting it better and keeping it that way. Enjoy your race series.

Happy Anniversary @kgirlhart ! Sounds like you had a lovely evening celebrating. I think you are a badass, even without running in the pouring rain. :lol: Great running! I'm glad Hal was pleased.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    I hate to ask this question again, because I know that it was in this discussion earlier in the month, but I can't find the responses. I want to get a hydration vest. If you use a vest, which one do you use and/or what would you recommend? OR, if you know what page the answers were earlier, let me know and I'll go back and check it out.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Right now, I am planning to go ahead and run it virtually this year. I will be on the hunt for a good place to run it that is not on my local road. If you have any ideas @Teresa502 , or anyone else, please let me know. I still want it to be different and "special."

Sorry to hear your HM went virtual. It's a good idea to try a new route to make it feel "special". I have always had a hard time with virtual races because they do feel like you are just running through your neighborhood. Does a nearby town have an area like a waterway or a big, well-known park that could serve as an anchor to your race? You could find a focal point then use strava to build a route around it. I have done that when I am traveling.