August 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Speaking of spider webs, I'm not sure I mentioned this a few weeks ago, but there were a bunch of them that morning in the forest, and I somehow ran into one with my FACE, and as I was wiping it off, realized I had the spider on my face as well 😱. I was surprisingly calm in the moment, but got more and more horrified the more I thought about it afterwards.
    Maybe I should stop with my forest stories, before you all get scared off of trail running, haha.

Nothing worse in the world than spider to the face.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    8-1 7k measy (between moderate and easy)
    8-2 rest
    8-3 7k measy
    8-4 7k easy
    8-5 rest
    8-6 7k measy
    8-7 7k moderate
    8-8 7k measy
    8-9 rest
    8-10 4k easy
    8-11 4k moderate
    8-12 rest
    8-13 6k measy
    8-14 4k measy
    8-15 7k easy
    8-16 rest
    8-17 4k easy
    8-18 5k treadmill
    8-19 rest
    8-20 4k measy
    8-21 4k moderate
    8-22 4k easy
    8-23 rest

August Total: 88k
    August Goal: 150k

Golf today instead of running, on a miserably hot, humid day.

@rheddmobile Shagbark and shellbark hickories are the best!!!

When you pop in here claiming your December 2021 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

PUT THE FUN BACK IN THE RUN!
    Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs (second attempt)

2021 Races:

6/26 Direction Up 5k, Solon, OH 31:48 chip; 31:59 Garmin; 53d overall; 2d male 65 and over
    7/17 Run of the Ox 5k, Mantua, OH 32:19 Garmin; 44th overall; 3d place male 60 and over
    9/18 5k Run and Roll, Aurora, OH
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at going back to Nike from Brooks. Does anyone run in fly knits? Do you still go up half a size? My last nikes were in like 2013 and not fly knit.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,830 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at going back to Nike from Brooks. Does anyone run in fly knits? Do you still go up half a size? My last nikes were in like 2013 and not fly knit.

I run in a couple styles of Nikes and the only one I had to go up on for half a size was a specific model. If you are buying them through the Nike website you can read the comments to see if model you want runs small.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom sorry for all your stress and 'hangryness'. I get that way too. Hope you get adjusted to the calorie deficit soon. If not, I would up it a couple hundred and see if that helps.

@RunsOnEspresso glad your pain subsided and hope it stays away.

@polskagirl01 you can't stop running in the forest. We would all miss out on your adventurous stories :D
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

I run in a couple styles of Nikes and the only one I had to go up on for half a size was a specific model. If you are buying them through the Nike website you can read the comments to see if model you want runs small.

Thanks! Not sure why I didn't look at reviews 🤦🏼‍♀️ Nike says true to size but most reviews say they run small and go up half a size.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,004 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    @kgirlhart I think that was a great run in those conditions. Hopefully your next run will be a lot better and help get your confidence back.

@rheddmobile That heat is horrible! I thought it was hot here. Nothing like that. I didn't realize that pecans and walnuts were hickory either. I have lots of walnut trees in my woods and other hickories too. So, I learned something also.

@Scott6255 Your HR was really good. Sorry your legs didn't get the memo. Congrats on making 100 miles already this month and a year of 100 miles/month. That's awesome.

@skippygirlsmom Hope you figure out the nutritional balance and are feeling better today. Nice on getting your HM in over the weekend.

@RunsOnEspresso Glad you got your run in with no pain! Hope it stays that way.

@polskagirl01 I don't think I've ever actually had a spider on my face, but I have imagined they are there after running into a web.

@WhatMeRunning Hahaha I've been known to drip sweat from a fast walk too, definitely worse when I run in it though.

Sounds like a wonderful weekend @7lenny7 ! Nice run today. Yes, my driveway is a quarter of a mile long. When I do laps, I usually go a little bit past half way, because that last portion is a steeper hill I don't feel like climbing every lap. My laps end up being a little over 0.3 miles. It is lined with trees, so when it is really hot and sunny, it is at least in the shade. But, because I still do two hills, it makes me slower than when I run out the local road - which is hilly, but not that bad. I do a lot of walking up those hills during my runs....but, they are perfect for hill repeats.

@AlphaHowls Sorry you are having such a hard time right now. I hate it when I feel like I am floundering around with no direction. I hope things calm down for you soon. Thanks for the idea about the KY HM. I'm tempted, but I think I had decided to run the AF HM virtually. I really want it to be my first one and, if I ran it virtually in conjunction with another one, would it really be the first?

@katharmonic You are doing so much hiking, you shouldn't worry about your monthly total. It's not like you are slacking or anything!

• julieannegannon
    julieannegannon Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. Sorry I have been MIA but I started to feel my shoulders and my neck were out of whack. It must have been the fall I took. So I rested for 4 days. I felt good this morning so I decided to get back at it. Today’s plan was a long run for 2 miles. It felt pretty good. When I checked my heart rate my Fitbit measured the high was 191. So the 4 days off kind of messed with my fitness level. I’m sure that I will be back down by the end of this week.

August totals

8/01 6.23 miles run
    8/02 rest
    8/03 rest
    8/04 6.24 miles walk
    8/05 2.31 miles run
    8/06 6.43 miles walk
    8/07 2.39 miles run
    8/08 5.00 miles walk
    8/09 rest
    8/10 1.18 miles run
    8/11 6.89 miles walk
    8/12 2.44 miles run
    8/13 6.26 miles walk
    8/14 2.35 miles run
    8/15 4.55 miles walk
    8/16 rest
    8/17 1.50 miles run
    8/18 4.93 miles walk
    8/19 2.43 miles run
    8/20 rest
    8/21 rest
    8/22 rest
    8/23 rest
    8/24 2.00 miles run

Total miles walked 40.30
    Total miles run 22.83 miles run with 27.17 miles left

Tomorrow the plan calls for a cross training day. I’ve caught up with all that you guys have been doing the past 4 days. So I’m going to get myself to start commenting on your post from now on. I have a question for you all “Do you just start running right away or do you warm up first before you start running?” I’ve just lately start out with running but I’m feeling that maybe that’s wrong and that I should start out with a 5 minute walk warm up before my run.