August 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at going back to Nike from Brooks. Does anyone run in fly knits? Do you still go up half a size? My last nikes were in like 2013 and not fly knit.

I run in a couple styles of Nikes and the only one I had to go up on for half a size was a specific model. If you are buying them through the Nike website you can read the comments to see if model you want runs small.

Thanks! Not sure why I didn't look at reviews 🤦🏼‍♀️ Nike says true to size but most reviews say they run small and go up half a size.

Just an idea - That might apply to running shoes in general, so those same people might go up a size no matter what brand shoes they're wearing.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    8-1 7k measy (between moderate and easy)
    8-2 rest
    8-3 7k measy
    8-4 7k easy
    8-5 rest
    8-6 7k measy
    8-7 7k moderate
    8-8 7k measy
    8-9 rest
    8-10 4k easy
    8-11 4k moderate
    8-12 rest
    8-13 6k measy
    8-14 4k measy
    8-15 7k easy
    8-16 rest
    8-17 4k easy
    8-18 5k treadmill
    8-19 rest
    8-20 4k measy
    8-21 4k moderate
    8-22 4k easy
    8-23 rest
    8-24 4k measy

August Total: 92k
    August Goal: 150k

Sunny, low 70s F and humid again today. Had my 3 month eval at the chiro today. X-rays showed back, hips, neck, and head position have all improved, so my bones are moving in the right direction.
    @AlphaHowls Hang tough.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2021 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

PUT THE FUN BACK IN THE RUN!
    Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs (second attempt)

2021 Races:

6/26 Direction Up 5k, Solon, OH 31:48 chip; 31:59 Garmin; 53d overall; 2d male 65 and over
    7/17 Run of the Ox 5k, Mantua, OH 32:19 Garmin; 44th overall; 3d place male 60 and over
    9/18 5k Run and Roll, Aurora, OH
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,111 Member
    Options
    I have a question for you all “Do you just start running right away or do you warm up first before you start running?” I’ve just lately start out with running but I’m feeling that maybe that’s wrong and that I should start out with a 5 minute walk warm up before my run.

I walk about 0.25 mile before starting to run and do a few dynamic warm-ups. The walk is a hold-over from C25k that just became my habit. The warm-ups are ones that I started this past year to help with that stiff, achy few steps that I seemed to get every run. They help a lot and only take a minute or 2.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,111 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning Sorry to hear your foot felt worse today. Hopefully this will be a minor set back.

@AlphaHowls That sucks. I'm sorry you are going through that right now.

@Tramboman Yay for bones going the right way!

@quilteryoyo I'm so happy for you that you found a friend to bike along for your HM. That will definitely help make it more fun!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options
    @julieanngannon - Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. If I'm meeting people to run, I'm usually the first one there even though I drive the longest distance (I have a deep seated need to be early to everything - lol) so I will do some walking lunges, leg swings, ankle rotations and maybe walk a lap or two around the parking lot. This is much easier done in Spring, Summer and Fall months. In the Winter, it's so much harder to get out of the warm car. If I'm running from home by myself and I have the time, I might do a short stretch video. Some days I just take off, knowing the first mile will be slow and a warm-up. So basically, I know that I should but it doesn't always happen.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,065 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    @julieannegannon Glad your body is feeling better after the fall. I'm sure the 4 days rest were needed. Nice run today. As for your question, I do a fast half mile walk for a warm up and do the same thing after the run as a cool down. I should probably do more stretching. Currently, I mostly stretch only if I feel a muscle getting tight.

@WhatMeRunning So sorry to hear that your foot is giving you problems again. I hope it gets to feeling better quicker this time!

@Tramboman Yeah for a great report!

Thanks @martaindale and @skippygirlsmom . I was very happy and surprised that she suggested it. I was sort of dreading doing it alone. This will be so much better.

@skippygirlsmom What did you used to eat before a run? Can you go back to that? I think a pop tart would mess with my blood sugar since I'm not used to eating that. If I have time to wait after I eat, I eat my normal breakfast. If not, I will eat a banana before heading out. I had a piece of peanut butter toast on Saturday. I hope you figure out what works for it. It's hard. I love that Champ found such a cozy place for a break from his walk! Too cute.

• quilteryoyo
    Options
    1 Aug - 0.00 Run 1.0 Walk - driveway laps, barely beat the heavy downpour
    2 Aug - 3.30 Run 1.0 Walk - Tempo run - 2 hours mowing the lawn
    3 Aug - 2.50 Run 1.0 Walk - Recovery Run on the driveway - Weed eat at mom's in the afternoon
    4 Aug - 6.20 Run 1.0 Walk - Birthday run on the driveway - played singles tennis earlier
    5 Aug - 2.50 Run 1.0 Walk - Long Interval Run on the driveway
    6 Aug - 0.00 Run 1.0 Walk - Driveway walk this evening - doubles tennis this morning
    7 Aug - 10.0 Run 1.0 Walk - Long Run with Speed Play
    8 Aug - 0.00 Run 1.0 Walk - Driveway walk to keep the streak going
    9 Aug - 2.75 Run 1.0 Walk - Tempo Run - driveway laps
    10 Aug - 2.50 Run 1.0 Walk - Recovery Run - driveway laps
    11 Aug - 0.00 Run 1.0 Walk - Treadmill walk between shopping and church
    12 Aug - 2.25 Run 1.0 Walk - Driveway Long Interval Run also played singles tennis this morning
    13 Aug - 0.00 Run 1.0 Walk - Treadmill walk after work
    14 Aug - 5.00 Run 1.0 Walk - Cut my 10 mile run short so that I could trim mom's lawn
    15 Aug - 0.00 Run 1.0 Walk - Walk in the neighbor's field
    16 Aug - 3.50 Run 1.0 Walk - Tempo run doing driveway laps
    17 Aug - 0.00 Run 1.0 Walk - Treadmill walk after running errands all day
    18 Aug - 3.00 Run 1.0 Walk - Foundation run - driveway laps
    19 Aug - 3.50 Run 1.0 Walk - Long Interval Run on the local road
    20 Aug - 0.00 Run 1.0 Walk - Driveway laps to keep streak going
    21 Aug - 10.0 Run 1.0 Walk - Long run with fast finish (sort-of) out the local road
    22 Aug - 0.00 Run 1.0 Walk - Driveway walk
    23 Aug - 0.00 Run 1.0 Walk - Treadmill - also played tennis and mowed
    24 Aug - 3.25 Run 1.0 Walk - Treadmill Tempo Run

60.25/100 miles running 24.0/31 miles walking

I made some phone calls about my cousin's situation this morning and was waiting on return calls, so did my run on the treadmill today. I was supposed to run 5 min in Zone 1, 5 min in Zone 2, 18 min in Zone 3, 5 min Zone 2, 5 min Zone 1. What I actually ran/walked was 5/4/1/20/1/4/6:02 minutes at 4.2/4.5/3.9/ladder of 5.0-5.5-5.1 for 2 min each/3.9/4.5/4.2 mph. I never made it into Zone 3, but was in the upper limits of Zone 2, so I'll take that.

I'm going to keep a little bit better track of my resting HR and see if I may need to change some of my medication. I really think that one of the meds is keeping my HR unnaturally low. Today, the run at 4.2 mph was almost all below zone 1 and all was below 125 bpm. That's certainly not normal for me.
  • julieannegannon
    julieannegannon Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning I am sorry to hear that your foot is still bothering you.

@Tramboman Glad to hear that your evaluation was good.

@skippygirlsmom Thanks for sharing the picture of Champ. I love dogs but the last dog I had died in 2015 and I couldn’t go through that ever again. Thank you also for the warm up information.

@Teresa502 We are alike. I don’t like being late. I always get to places 20 minutes before the scheduled time I have to be there. Thanks for the information on your warmup routine.

@Scott6255 Thank you for responding about warmups. I’ve been getting the information on dynamic warm ups. I really am a newbie and I don’t know this stuff. Basically I was just an avid walker but now I like the running so I want make sure to try to stay injury free.

@quilteryoyo Thanks for the information on your warm up routine. Being with this running community has helped a lot as to what to do.

@polskagirl Thank you for your warm up routine. I just felt it was was better to warm up before I run. Going from standing to running was just not feeling right.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @julieannegannon Add me to the dynamic stretching / brisk walking group. I stretch particular muscles I have had trouble with, especially rocker squats which stretch calves, shins, feet. No plantar fasciitis or shin splints since I started rocker squats. I also brisk walk about half a mile to let my cardiovascular system wake up.

• rheddmobile
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Another hot one! This heat alert is supposed to last all week. No idea what the local station said at the time but my Strava dealy says heat index was 105. We got out a little earlier but it didn’t make much difference - heat index was 101 at sunset last night and didn’t go down much overnight.

So, I have a race in two weeks. And I haven’t done speedwork in I can’t remember. So today was “hey we haven’t actually died yet, let’s do speedwork under a heat alert with an orange air alert too” day! Needless to say the emphasis was more on “work” than “speed.” Basically we ran a tempo mile with the goal being to remember what it feels like to run instead of plodding, then drank a lot of water while wogging for the rest of 5k, then did 2 x 400m fastish, which at that point was uh, kinda slow. The tempo mile was not that bad, 9:09. Tempo for us used to be about 8:45 so considering the weather that’s in the same ballpark. We did not pass another soul foolish enough to run today, just one old lady sitting at a picnic table overlooking the lake, and a very sweaty nurse from the cardio clinic taking a walk on her lunch break.

We saw a billion butterflies and the path was covered in scuppernongs. I love scuppernongs but all of these were so high I could barely even see where they had fallen from.
  • julieannegannon
    julieannegannon Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    @martaindale Thank you for your input on warm ups. It’s much appreciated!

@rheddmobile I have looked up the rocker squats you suggested. I will try to see if I can do them. Being older I find my balance going away but maybe it will help my balance too!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @rheddmobile You did great in that heat! I had to look up scuppernongs. I think we call them muscadines. Did you eat any of them?
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    @rheddmobile You did great in that heat! I had to look up scuppernongs. I think we call them muscadines. Did you eat any of them?

A scuppernong is a bronze-colored variety of muscadine. Unfortunately all the ones I saw on the path had been split open and eaten by birds! This is a little early for them, usually we get them in September.