WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2021

Options

Replies

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Rjv230– Welcome! I am sorry for your loss. DH and I have also been married more than 50 years. It is possible to lose weight at 70. Measure portions, move more and keep track of what you are eating. I like to take yoga classes three times a week. Our class includes men and women. Most of us taking yoga in my class are past 70. :star:

Rebecca– Raspberries are my favorite! :bigsmile:

Pip– I love the 2019 MS ride shirts. Thank you for your participation in the MS Rides over the years. My husband has MS and you are helping him and many others. :heart:

Machka– Raspberries are my favorites! YUM!!! :smiley:

Kizanna2– Like Heather, I had my gallbladder out years ago. I had only one gallstone and it was the size of a Robin’s egg. I was happy to say goodbye to it. :flowerforyou:

Allie– Good to know you ae unlikely to have serious problems from the hurricane. I hope you will be safe at home. :star:

The baby blanket is done!!! I have a tiny bit of embellishment left to do.

Katla in NW Oregon

I am very particular about them though. No mushy, or hint of mold!
    Rebecca
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    Did 10 Minute Solution Slim & Sculpt Pilates DVD then went for my walk. The plan for tomorrow is to do a body pump DVD.

Debbie – If you have too many raspberries, you can always send them to NC <hint>

Gallbladders – I still have mine but Vince had his out many years ago. He doesn’t have any problem eating whatever he wants

Julie – I’m 5’1” and I find that on 1200 calories/day I maintain. That’s interesting about having to go lower. I’m not sure that I can.

Barbara – I wish I could find an in-person tai chi class. At least at first to be sure I have the form down. Then I probably can do DVD’s. That’s what happened with yoga. Many years ago I was secretary of a non-profit and I absolutely hated it. That’s about the only good thing about us being transferred to southern PA

Went in the pool, Vince did some grilling, then went to Michael’s. We’ll have dinner in a bit

barbie – I don’t do well with sitting, either. If I just sit, I usually fall asleep….lol

Ginny OH – congrats on the new car. I agree about the masks in church. I wonder if our pastor was vaccinated?

Allie – glad to hear you are safe

Went for my evening walk then played mahjongg.

Michele NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I finished a baby blanket today for a new baby for our son & daughter in law.. I hope son & DDIL. are and happy. We hope to travel & be there with them for the baby’s birth. We think the birth will be be near Thanksgiving. ❤️..
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,489 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: take BP, dogs to powerline, install new mic, test zoom, livestream church, zoom council,
    Bonus: almost two hours dinking around in the garden
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, do something with goat’s milk, flagger course progress, USE those torture bands/do that BB&B video, call S, fire district: research NFPA, grant NIMS requirements, ongoing: input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, likewise Lee skills/tasks, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; watch STAS Day 20, declutter sideboard, learn new dances (Tequila Little Time, Homesick, Nothing but You, A Little Less Broken, Blame it on my beating heart,; Do Your Thing, practice dances: One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat),); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove, ask Te about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this fall’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers and beit alpha cukes next year).
    August
    23: Share an article, book or podcast you found helpful: yesterday sent link to KaP.

Beth “…Symptoms of dry socket that I just had to deal with…” The one experience I had with dry socket was a boyfriend who was mad with pain in the middle of the night. The dentist drove back into the city from the suburbs at 2am to do something that gave him relief. ((hugs))
    Katla con VERY gratulations on the baby blanket!
    Debbie “…bag of plain dried catnip- I KNOW those in my class will think it is something else!!!” :laugh: :wink: :laugh:
    Allie thankful Henri wasn’t too bad where you are.
    Ginny our church council voted to “provide an environment conducive to compliance with current mandates by maintaining appropriate signage and ensuring masks and hand sanitizer are readily available…” but will not try to be the mask or vaccine police. Before the indoor mask mandate went into effect, the assumption was that everyone attending had been double vaccinated. Now I’m not so sure that assumption was justified. T’fore no indoor activities for me, back to livestream, zoom or FaceTime.
    Michele you’re right about the benefit of in- person classes to check form (T’ai Chi, Yoga, strength training, whatever). Also good leaders can be so very motivating. One of the sad losses due the pandemic.
    Rebecca and Karen, :love: the pics!

Saw this box in the garage today, and thought of Machka, pip… and Rebecca :naughty:
    puytoznip6bz.png

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    August: leaner/stronger/kinder than July.
    daily: sit with Joe: 20, weigh/wii: 22/0/0; steps>6704=6801 vits=21, log=22, CI<CO=21, CI<250<CO=16, Tumble=12, Shadow=21, mfp=23, outside=25, up hill=24, clean 10=21.
    wkly: Sun: Mon: Tue:LD YH=1, Wed:TC=2, PW=3. Thurs: Fri:TC=2. Sat:PW=3. rX x4=3.
    wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/30:141.5 5/31:142.4 6/30:141.5 7/31:140.2!!! 8/1:141.3 8/8:140.4 8/15:141.5 :rage:
    mnthly: board mtg=1, grant=, plan=, waist=42.0
    bonus: AF:12 play= sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Saw this box in the garage today, and thought of Machka, pip… and Rebecca :naughty:
    puytoznip6bz.png

Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD

We have that as a picture on our wall in the lounge room. :)

M in Oz

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    LOL! IF that is an accurate depiction of how women rode bicycles "back in the day"; no wonder they thought it harmful and unladylike! :D Nothing like a little tire burn/skid marks on your breasts and belly!
    Allie- I wonder if your bout with "vertigo" this time had something to do with the barometric pressure? Seems you got it right before the storm hit, and then felt better after the storm passed...
    Rebecca and Karen VA- Athena and Lilybelle! <3 Sweet, sweet faces!
    Heather- Please post pics of your before and after hall area. I am considering a shell pink for my bathroom, to go with my ocean colors in my main rooms.

It is a cool 70* F right now, so I am going to get outside and move my little sandbox to the back yard and bring the playhouse to the spot where the sandbox sits in the front yard, before the kids get here. The tree is still down in the back yard. Tim over extended himself mowing the lawn last week, and he doesn't want me to run the chainsaw. He also doesn't want Colin cutting things up, until he has found a way to dispose of the branches/wood. *sigh* It must be hard to be in his head all of the time.
    Love and hugs to all who need/want them! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Stat for the day-

Housecleaning- 2hrs 51sec, vacuum, dusting, laundry, cut it short, went to see sis in law and bro= 558c

PIP I'm sure its from Fitbit or something but the 51 seconds makes me laugh.

BARBIE that's great double activity -creating and WO (workout)

ALLIE
    glad you are feeling better!!

GINNIE
    -Great job on keeping of the smokes! That is major!
    -Here I think masks are mandatory inside most places and not outside most places, with some variations. It seems right that you called for a vote if one of the members was for making choices contrary to recent other vote. Good for you!
    - Yes having to be in the city int he 1st half of August the time when EVERYONE is away is a bit much, sometimes. I would have enjoyed it more had I been able to hang out at park, pool, etc. As it was, it was not my all time best moment ever. :D
    -
    How often to check skin/get skin checked.
    -I have definitely seen it recommended to be seen by a dermatologist 1x a year, many times. Some are very thorough and check every imaginable bit of skin with a dermoscope (special very helpful tool), and others are much more slapdash!
    -I see that full body monthly self check is now advised for all
    and
    -to go to quickly to dermotologist if one sees something suspicious.

Ongoing Health Suff
    as you can see - I'ma bit stressed about this thing, to add to the rest. I surely hope I'll discover it was for naught. This particular thing has rather good prognosis if caught early and quite bad if caught late. I have seen 4- 6 weeks delay evoked as "early" - and we are well past that, but I just saw one study that considers + 4 months as "late", which gives me a bit more time.
    I reached the receptionist at the hospital who said she just came back from vacation. She seemed more on top of things than the others who were more or less helpful and kind (one quite the other really not!), and she said it's not sure that a doctor can call me this week since most are on vacation. that's just the way it is here, and there is not much one can do about it!
    I can try calling back again tomorrow and see what she says. On one hand this is one case where relatively prompt intervention can make a major difference. On the other hand as we age there is likely to be more and more of these scares which are for real risks, and it's surely better to not freak out all the time and to develop skills for self-advocating and also self-soothing.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    MICHELE
    is 1200 a day net or "gross" (after or before exercise)?
    You get a lot of exercise.
    I think I was 1500 to 1650 calories a day gross average (not subtracting exercise calories out) a few years ago at maintenance at a lower, more comfortable weight, but I'm able to exercise less now (can't jog and am much more tired that exercising doesn't erase!) so I think the gross now is about 1350 to maintain at goal weight, but I haven't been tracking religiously at all. (on and off) In any case the reduction of 150-300 daily has been hard to get to so far. I still feel deprived to be able to eat less, and so haven't been very successful in past few years, despite lots of good tricks possible. I think 1100 average net is good for me to get to a more comfortable BMI but I have not been successful of late. I keep keep working at it. It seems clear that the smaller we are, height-wise, the less we can eat to have a healthy BMI. MFP accepts the daily total if one eats at least 1000 calories in a day but not less, which seems to take into consideration this variation. I put mine at 1000 net add calories for all activity, and consider that I can have an extra 700 weekly for splurges, averaging 1100. But of late I'm not there. I did track 6.5 days last week which is a step in the right direction.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Ran into my philosophy teacher friend M.again today at café and had way longer talk than planned. I couldn't believe how late it was when I left. we must have talked at least an hour: politics, work, vacation... Now there are 4 of us women who seem to go there daily. Saturday I was talking to a researcher and a person job searching in business. M who've I've spoken to several times over past months was telling me about a very traumatic experience of one of her classmates when she was a kid, when the 2 other women came by yesterday. I couldn't really stop and welcome them into the conversation so they may well think I was snubbing them but that really wasn't the case. Hopefully I can tell them some time, in a discrete way.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    HOW MUCH TIME WOULD YOU SPEND TO LOOK UP HEALTH INFO ONLINE?

At present I don't have a very available responsive, etc, health team, so I definitely have to do some research myself. But one can go down the internet rabbit hole doing research about stuff.. :D A bit is good, but a lot, so-so...
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    HOW MUCH TIME WOULD YOU SPEND TO LOOK UP HEALTH INFO ONLINE?

At present I don't have a very available responsive, etc, health team, so I definitely have to do some research myself. But one can go down the internet rabbit hole doing research about stuff.. :D A bit is good, but a lot, so-so...

I spent quite a bit of time researching brain injury when my husband had his accident. I've gone on to take 2 courses about brain injury and to join the brain injury association here.

But regarding my health issues, I try not to look up too much. A lot of it can be repetitive and a lot says that you've got to have this or that test to find out for sure. So there's really no point to speculate. I prefer to deal with what IS happening rather than with might possibly be happening.

Machka in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    Kelly- you might me right... gosh how I hate that..
    The ultrasonic thing really seems to be working ,I only use it when he barks, whe. He stops I praise him and hopefully he will learn to not bark at all.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Stat for the day-

Housecleaning- 2hrs 51sec, vacuum, dusting, laundry, cut it short, went to see sis in law and bro= 558c

PIP I'm sure its from Fitbit or something but the 51 seconds makes me laugh.

BARBIE that's great double activity -creating and WO (workout)

ALLIE
    glad you are feeling better!!

GINNIE
    -Great job on keeping of the smokes! That is major!
    -Here I think masks are mandatory inside most places and not outside most places, with some variations. It seems right that you called for a vote if one of the members was for making choices contrary to recent other vote. Good for you!
    - Yes having to be in the city int he 1st half of August the time when EVERYONE is away is a bit much, sometimes. I would have enjoyed it more had I been able to hang out at park, pool, etc. As it was, it was not my all time best moment ever. :D
    -
    How often to check skin/get skin checked.
    -I have definitely seen it recommended to be seen by a dermatologist 1x a year, many times. Some are very thorough and check every imaginable bit of skin with a dermoscope (special very helpful tool), and others are much more slapdash!
    -I see that full body monthly self check is now advised for all
    and
    -to go to quickly to dermotologist if one sees something suspicious.

Ongoing Health Suff
    as you can see - I'ma bit stressed about this thing, to add to the rest. I surely hope I'll discover it was for naught. This particular thing has rather good prognosis if caught early and quite bad if caught late. I have seen 4- 6 weeks delay evoked as "early" - and we are well past that, but I just saw one study that considers + 4 months as "late", which gives me a bit more time.
    I reached the receptionist at the hospital who said she just came back from vacation. She seemed more on top of things than the others who were more or less helpful and kind (one quite the other really not!), and she said it's not sure that a doctor can call me this week since most are on vacation. that's just the way it is here, and there is not much one can do about it!
    I can try calling back again tomorrow and see what she says. On one hand this is one case where relatively prompt intervention can make a major difference. On the other hand as we age there is likely to be more and more of these scares which are for real risks, and it's surely better to not freak out all the time and to develop skills for self-advocating and also self-soothing.

When I’m not connected to an app like zwift or Strava, the time is from my Apple Watch
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I finished the baby blanket last night! YAY! :) I admit that I’m considering a minor change in the trim. I have loads of time to make minor adjustments. The baby isn’t due until October. <3
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    🦎🦖🐢
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    Options
    Cleaner came.
    We have cleared the hall, of furniture, coats, shoes and pictures. A couple of the screws in the wall can stay for new pics, mirror etc, otherwise he can fill the holes. Then we took down the horrible old landing curtains which we inherited with the house. When we dismantled the curtain rail DH bashed his thumb. :/ I had quite a bit of dust to hoover up.

KJ - I will post pics of the finished hall. Af the moment there is nothing to see. We still have to decide on the shade of white. For some reason you have been in my dreams almost every night recently. With short hair. ;) No idea what that's about!

Feel slightly on edge with the disruption, but it will be fine. The painter is a lovely, gentle man.

My doctor's surgery said I could book online for a flu jab, but the system is not currently working. I'll keep trying.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx