At Goal & Successfully Maintaining. So Why Am I Doing This All Over Again?

Replies

• Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Thank you for this thread, I love reading it. You are honest and kind spirited with many helpful tips.

If I'm scrubbing floors by hand I may count housecleaning, but it is very, very rare. House keeping is not my strong suit.

Cooking I just laugh as I imagine them doing squats or jumping jacks while chopping veggies.

I actually do sometimes do squats, lateral leg lifts, calf raises, or something like that while cooking. Why not? I still don't count it as exercise . . . . 😉

“Coffee squats” to pass the time while it’s brewing 😄
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,101 Member
    Speculoos (or speculaas) is one of those things I take for granted, having easy access here. Luckily I do NOT have a sweet tooth 😁
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    It’s all about meeeeeee today!
    I came home with gingerbread Lebkuchen, iced stars, chocolate dipped speculoos (yeah, spelling) cookies, peppermint bark, marzipan minis.

My husband makes lebkuchen and pfeffernuesse every Christmas. mmmm.... I have a feeling that during the couple of Christmas weeks, I'm just going to have to move to maintenance calories. There's no way I'm missing out on those babies. :)

Anyway, it's probably best to bring the hubby to the store with you during the holidays. Extra support is definitely needed in the yummy season. :)
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Lebkuchen. I will cross state lines for lebkuchen, so either I can't have it in the house, or I give it to my husband to dole out to me, or I just admit Christmas is here and I won't be sticking strictly to my daily routine. (I can ignore a lot of other things, but Contessa lebkuchen is not one of them.)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,974 Member
    You had to bring up marzipan, didn't you? Mmmmmmarzipan.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member

Do you have a fitness tracker? Are you utilizing it to the best of your ability? What can it do that you have you haven’t taken advantage of?

Yes. And no.

I currently have the Fitbit Charge 3, two upgrades from my original Flex. I like having the heart rate function in addition to step counting. I do aim to hit my 10K daily steps and there have been a few times I've been at 9900 ish and pacing the house just before bedtime to hit that goal. So it's somewhat motivating. On the other hand, recreational outdoor walking is about to end for the season and I won't get 10K again for a while and it doesn't bother me.

There are various things you can log on Fitbit like food and water intake that I don't bother with. There's a "female health" logging/tracking area that doesn't apply since I don't have periods.

I gave my old Flex to the SO and he liked it for a while but it kept falling off at work so he abandoned it.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,413 Member
    “Somebody commented about my food diary! Can people see what I’m eating?” BL was in a bit of a panic.

“Your diary is open to friends. They can see what you’ve eaten and what exercise you’ve recorded to your diary.”

I didn’t tell him that I set his privacy settings this way, so that his bestest friend (me!) could monitor his diary. 😇

“Someone posted ‘Yum!’ to my feed when I closed my diary. Why would they do that?!”

“Maybe they liked your manly steak and potato for dinner. Maybe they liked that you enjoyed a slice of cherry pie? It’s not threatening. It’s just….yum.”

You can choose your privacy level for your food diary from locked to everyone, to viewable only by friends, to public (anyone can see it).

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Why would you want your diary to be visible?

Members often ask for help, or complain that they’ve “plateaued”. If their diary is open to see, other users can do a quick review to see how and where they can tighten up on logging, if macros are out of kilter and changing them might perhaps cure the nibblies , or if there are substitutions that might help cut calories.

Sometimes folks simply like to look at diaries of successful losers for ideas, or new foods or products to try.

My diary is open, for better or for worse. Having mine open makes it simple for BL to copy or save meals straight from my account to his. This afternoon I made a loaf of bread. He simply copied the meal/recipe off of my diary, and then logged it, adding his portion of the loaf.

Do you ever look at peoples diaries, and why?
  • sheahughes
    sheahughes Posts: 133 Member
    Sometimes I like to peek at a diary, it is really interesting to see what counts as a regular meal for someone on the opposite side of Australia (or the world). I've checked out diaries and then googled products, occasionally I have made a purchase based off someone's diary.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,101 Member
    Aside from people posting in the forums asking for advice, I look at my friends' diaries occasionally. Not so much for inspiration, but to get a general idea of their calorie intake, exercise burns,...

My own diary is public, just in case anyone is interested, but at least half of it is in French or Dutch so probably not that interesting to most 😁
  • ythannah

I never look at others' diaries, nor is mine open to anyone.

I've never been interested in weight loss so my diary isn't much use to someone who is. I log primarily for a) sodium and b) protein so unless you're a sodium-restricted Canadian pescetarian who leans heavily vegetarian, my diary isn't very helpful. And vice versa.

• wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member

I've looked at someone's diary once because they asked for feedback. Otherwisw, nah. Mine stays closed because I log weirdly and nor most of what I eat, and I really am not interested in what other people are eating.

• ythannah

Yeah, speaking of logging weirdly... I'm a lazy logger and I just add something in whatever meal it was last logged in whenever possible. So the other day it looked like I didn't eat any lunch because all my lunch foods were in my recent snacks, and that's where they got added.

On trips I just log my morning protein for the sake of "logging in" to maintain my streak so there have been days at a time where it looks like I only ate 130 calories of protein, when in reality I was scarfing down 4000+ calories of restaurant food.

• wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited November 2021

Yeah this is exactly the sort of thing I mean. I log wherever I last put the food/can find it closest. There's a lot of stuff I don't log at all - always my morning coffee, but when traveling or out for an event, that's it. I don't tend to log a lot of condiments, spices, or fruit veg anymore (personally). I'm pretty dialed in for the main part of my diet and let a LOT slide.

This works for me but it is basically shorthand. if someone tried to use my diary as an actual eating guide they would DIE and I'd feel bad. If they'd took it literally they'd think I was going to die.