At Goal & Successfully Maintaining. So Why Am I Doing This All Over Again?

Options

Replies

• RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I agree with Ann...please keep writing this, I enjoy it so much!
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    You do not have to suffer to lose weight!

Say it louder, for the people in the back!! :)

And, +1 to @AnnPT77 comment. Keep em' comin'! This thread is gold.
  • coblujay
    coblujay Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    How fun is that, spring? That little girl is in for a wild time with her sparkling grandma!!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,428 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I was cleaning some stuff out on my phone while I was pedaling the recumbent bike this morning and found the old notes from my very first dietician visit. This was two weeks after I’d “had it” and decided to lose 40 pounds. I was totally at sea, no concept of “good” versus “bad” foods or even how to feed myself.

I ultimately lost 97, but put five or six back on because I felt I was dangerously thin.)

If you have the opportunity to visit a dietician, DO IT. Go armed with a list of questions and put your ego on the back burner.

My original gym -which was part of a large local hospital but open to the public- offered an RD for $25/half hour. Later I discovered my health insurance offered free phone visits with one. Both were very good. Just ask questions and write the answers down!!!!

(In the USA, an RD, or registered dietician, is a degreed professional. This is totally different from a nutritionist. Anyone can call themselves a nutritionist. Some are good, some are simply hawking whatever product they or the gym reap commissions on. Know who you’re dealing with.)

Anyway these are those first visit notes. Interesting because I’ve incorporated many of them since then.

BTW this is the RD who sixty days later during my second visit insisted I increase my calories from 1470/day to a minimum of 1700 because even at that time I was walking a little and doing yoga two or three times a week. Four months later my new trainer demanded (she’s sooo intimidating but good!) I increase to 1900 and then 2100. I still lost at a good clip during all those increases, however my activity level ramped up considerably. Movement became joy.

10-1-2018

More proteins at breakfast

Protein powder Vega brand
    Trial packets add scoop one serving to smoothie

Eat something every 3-4 hours

Tuna and vegan-aise or turkey and chicken

Blackstrap molasses can add to smoothie. Specifically blackstrap.

Less almond butter, more sunflower or pumpkin seed

Vitamin c helps absorb iron: kiwi, strawberries, bell peppers, clementine

Mini bell peppers with hummus
    Chicken and bell peppers

Spinach has iron and vitamin C

Chicken has vitamin c

Red meat once a week

Venison, buffalo

Coconut water to replace electrolytes

Nuun tablets in water to replace electrolytes

My fitness pal app by under armour

20% of calories as protein target 70g a day target (*I’ve increased this to 200 per day. Yes, unusually high but recommended by both my new nutritionist and my trainer because if my activity level)

App should show iron too

More seeds

Super seed chocolate protein balls
    Hemp chia sesame dates

Eat dates with protein otherwise just sugar

Yogurt

Homemade granola with a lot of seeds

Sweet potato and tuna patties

Chia and flax seed eggs

Chicken breakfast sausage

Quinoa “oatmeal”. Lemon poppyseed blueberry

Black bean chips with guacamole

Feta should be ok

Pinterest for turmeric ideas

Make a tea of it

Golden milk

Limited honey ok

Turmeric gummies
    Turmeric balls
    Curries

Add to smoothy or oatmeal

1 Brazil nut a day and ashwaganda for thyroid. Iodine via seafood. Salmon best.

Smoked salmon packets.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Great notes!! I incorporate a lot of the ideas in my diet (as in, the foods that I eat every day). And some of the things are good reminders. For example, I'd forgotten all about golden milk and probably still have all the ingredients in my pantry. I love that the RD recommended MFP to you!!
  • JenKindo
    JenKindo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Just scheduled a coaching session with a nutritionist based on this. Never occured to me to check insurance! Thank you for this.