At Goal & Successfully Maintaining. So Why Am I Doing This All Over Again?

Options

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,499 Member
    Options
    PS : I’ve been disagreed a thousand times for this, but one of the first things I do is sub margarine for butter. It’s half the calories.m and very seldom affects the taste.
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Sparkuvu wrote: »
    @springlerling62 so, how do you get your mind to enjoy your low calorie treats? Without rebelling with the whole poor me thing --I'm pretty sure you were there in your before and get what I am trying to say/ask. I mean, even if I'm perfectly enjoying some treat, my minds baulking and my heads telling me all kinds of stupid stuff, kind of screaming that it must not be as good, I guess. Like when I read someone saying they enjoy their single square of chocolate or whatever, that it satisfies the urge...well. honest, one square of chocolate just infuriates me, sends me right to the poor poor me, and has been known to set me off on a binge. Will there come a time when it feels more true in my head?
    A bit curious too, as to why the focus on the low calorie when to maintain you eat quite a lot given your high activity, or at least that's what I think I'm reading. Why do (high calorie) regular treats not fit in there?

Everything @springlering62 said! I'd add this: for most people, it will take about 2 weeks for cravings of any kind to subside. Know that going in. For me that meant that nothing "new" tasted as good as the "old" when I was in that mode. I handled that by abstaining entirely from things that I perceive as "treats" during that time. At the time, they were trigger foods for binge eating, and I just couldn't eat them. Once that phase passed, I can eat those foods in moderation. And I do! But now I'm in the "one square of chocolate satisfies" camp. I didn't start out here and never thought I could be here. It takes time.

Good luck to you!
  • springlering62
    edited January 2022
    Options
    @dralicephd Same here!!!!! It also helped to get it all out of the house during that period.

Out of sight is truly out of mind.

Old Me would always try to “eat it up so I can start tomorrow”, but tomorrow never came because there was a bottomless pit of treats and tomorrows.

It wasn’t til I had enough and gave a neighbor grocery bags of everything I perceived as treats or “bad” (rightly or wrongly, in retrospect) that I got traction.

I preplan meals 1-2 weeks in advance and always go to the grocery store with a list. I seldom deviate and buy anything not on the list because that still gets me in trouble. (I’m looking at you, seasonal European holiday treats aisle in Lidl.)

Also, put treats in the freezer. Freezing treats helps because impatient me doesn’t want to wait for them to thaw. Plus, again, in my tightly crammed freezer at least, out of sight = out of mind.
  • springlering62
    Options
    Change things up to mess with your brain to make it rethink and pay attention to how you eat.

I accidentally discovered I love to eat frozen blueberries on my cottage cheese. They take longer to eat, and the texture is very satisfying.

I buy Waymans wild blueberries because they’re really tiny, sweeter, and of course if I’m only eating a couple at a time, I can string them out, lol.

Roasted edamame on salad is so much more satisfying than cheese crumbles. More protein, makes an unexpected crunch and burst of umami in my salads

Skyr: exact same calories as Greek yogurt, twice the protein, thick creamy, and not as tart. It’s just more satisfying than yogurt. A bowl of skyr and some zero cal chocolate or caramel syrup is 100 calories and will fill me up for a while.

Have you discovered the Volume Eating thread?
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/40732916#Comment_40732916
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    PS : I’ve been disagreed a thousand times for this, but one of the first things I do is sub margarine for butter. It’s half the calories.m and very seldom affects the taste.

No disagrees from me! I actually prefer the taste of margarine to that of butter and I really really appreciate the way it's soft enough to use right out of the fridge, unlike butter. Plus it keeps forever and I was always throwing out butter because it had been hanging around too long.
  • springlering62
    Options
    @littlegreenparrot1

Speaking of chocolate and mind games. Lidl sells a fair trade dark chocolate bar that’s wrapped in some that feels like newsprint.

Fi have no stinking clue why, but because it’s not in a glossy wrapper or Mylar that’s the one chocolate I don’t obsess over and actually can limit myself to maybe the bottom row. (OCD. Symmetry is a must.)

I’ve had one in the pantry since before Thanksgiving and it utters no siren call even though it’s first class stuff.

Maybe we’re conditioned. Maybe we’re self-taught to titillated by the crinkle and excitement of shiny packaging?Maybe Hersheys, Lindt, and Cadburys have subliminal messages hidden in their shiny packaging?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,416 Member
    Options
    I can't make proper Flemmish fries at home. But i every now and then cut up potatoes, cut up veggies, take a breaded fish , whack everything into an ovendish with oil and coarse seasalt, and let it cook. It's so yummy!
  • Sparkuvu
    Sparkuvu Posts: 2,588 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone that commented, I found some great ideas along the read. I've been lurking this thread since I found it and picking up helpful tidbits along the way. Going to go check out the other one.. Has anyone figured a way to make a low calorie pie dough? I've searched, and what I do find is sure still far from low calorie. I've ended up using one crust, rolling it thinner so I can cut strips out to lay across the top. It works, but it's not the same. It's for chicken pot pie, so cinamon crumbles won't work. Lol
  • springlering62
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Sparkuvu wrote: »
    Thank you, everyone that commented, I found some great ideas along the read. I've been lurking this thread since I found it and picking up helpful tidbits along the way. Going to go check out the other one.. Has anyone figured a way to make a low calorie pie dough? I've searched, and what I do find is sure still far from low calorie. I've ended up using one crust, rolling it thinner so I can cut strips out to lay across the top. It works, but it's not the same. It's for chicken pot pie, so cinamon crumbles won't work. Lol

Have you discovered the Mr Mister pump sprayer? I can get a good coat of olive oil with only a couple grams used per serving.

Instead of pie crust, I’ve been making simple fruit cobblers and use the topping from this recipe:

www.latimes.com/recipe/crispy-mulberry-cobbler?_amp=true

Even halving it is more than adequate. It makes a lot of topping.

I’ve also cut the amount of sugar by 1/3 and it’s still tasty.
  • springlering62
    Options
    There’s also a bunch of versions of “impossible crust” pies by bisquick ranging from sweet to savory pies. You can find a zillion recipes on Google, allrecipes, etc.