At Goal & Successfully Maintaining. So Why Am I Doing This All Over Again?

Options

Replies

• Carriehelene
    Carriehelene Posts: 178 Member
    Options

ythannah wrote: »
    Although BL’s scale is down a bit this morning, this is a “me” post again- potentially an “us” post, since we’re both emotionally invested in a current serious family crisis.

Sorry to hear this, hope things resolve quickly.

Booster was on Wednesday though (half dose). Unfortunately I had to disobey the advice not to exert myself because there was snow that needed shovelling and that seems to have resulted in more of a sore arm than I had with the two previous shots.
    I find it odd ( in no way am I saying I don’t believe you), that you were told NOT to exert your arm, which is literally the exact opposite of what we are told. We are told with EVERY shot to keep working the arm as much as possible.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Although BL’s scale is down a bit this morning, this is a “me” post again- potentially an “us” post, since we’re both emotionally invested in a current serious family crisis.

Booster was on Wednesday though (half dose). Unfortunately I had to disobey the advice not to exert myself because there was snow that needed shovelling and that seems to have resulted in more of a sore arm than I had with the two previous shots.
    I find it odd ( in no way am I saying I don’t believe you), that you were told NOT to exert your arm, which is literally the exact opposite of what we are told. We are told with EVERY shot to keep working the arm as much as possible.

For yet a third perspective every shot I have gotten zero instructions about what to do later. Other than waiting fifteen minutes for any reaction.
  • Sparkuvu
    Sparkuvu Posts: 2,575 Member
    Options
    I had to get a tdap yesterday to go visit newborn grandbaby. It will take two weeks to kick in. 😢 The MinuteClinic nurse pummeled my arm afterwards. At first I was like “what the heck!!!” And then I realized she was distributing it.

I’d take you on @AnnPT77 But only with one arm tied behind your back and no paddles, ok?!

🥊🥊🥊

Congratulations on the new Grandbaby! I kind of wish my kids were still in the baby-making stage, but I think I shall have to settle with what I've been blessed with....just miss those tiny ones!
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options

For yet a third perspective every shot I have gotten zero instructions about what to do later. Other than waiting fifteen minutes for any reaction.

This is the first time I've had any instructions about doing/not doing anything post-vax. I'm not entirely sure the person was a health professional, she seemed primarily to be a watcher for reactions (there were a whole bunch of us spread out over an open area) and to be offering water or juice while we waited.

Interestingly, we only had to wait 5 minutes if we hadn't had any reaction to previous shots.

eta because I just saw this reply
    I had my booster yesterday (half dose because I'm under 70) and the nurse specifically told me to go home and shovel some snow to get the blood flowing in my arm. I live in a cold location and the snow is light and fluffy so not the heavy, wet stuff that causes heart attacks. We have had relentless (and I mean relentless!) snow since just before Christmas so shovelling the deck, stairs, and walkways is just part of my daily calorie burn. My husband uses the snowblower on the driveway and for trails in the back yard for the dogs 😆

Okay, that settles it, my person was NOT a health professional. :D
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    On a personal note, our eight day old grandbaby was released from hospital yesterday with a clean bill of health. Thank God, and thank the absolutely overwhelmed medical personnel at a west coast Childrens hospital, which was flooded with kids with Covid.

Please please please vaccinate so your kid doesn’t have to go through this, and so those beds are available to others with unrelated life threatening medical conditions.

I'm so glad to hear your grandbaby is healthy!

+1 on the vaccine sentiment. My heart goes out to the parents of kids under 5 who are still waiting for vaccine approval for their kids.
  • coblujay
    coblujay Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    @alteredsteve175 Thank you, Steve. So happy to see you back. Sending hugs and prayers to you and your family. A difficult, but critical part of the process.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    @alteredsteve175 i had no idea. I’m so sad you all are dealing with this. Bless you and your daughter for being there for her and I sincerely hope you all are able to find some moments of joy.
  • makemybodysing
    makemybodysing Posts: 30 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    (You can “buy back” calories via exercise. Many successful MFP users suggest eating back only half your exercise calories, to allow margin of error, especially for new users.)

Just to be clear, it's not because a newbie might make an error with exercise calories, it's because the figures are inaccurate by nature. Firstly, most step counters are inaccurate (especially phone apps, some out by 40%). Secondly, the MFP figures are just averages. Actual calories consumed vary enormously from person to person depending on weight, fitness level, metabolism etc etc.

Great thread, by the way, and you're looking great. I have not been as successful as you, so I'm starting again, but this time I've persuaded my other half to do it with me.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    (You can “buy back” calories via exercise. Many successful MFP users suggest eating back only half your exercise calories, to allow margin of error, especially for new users.)

Just to be clear, it's not because a newbie might make an error with exercise calories, it's because the figures are inaccurate by nature. Firstly, most step counters are inaccurate (especially phone apps, some out by 40%). Secondly, the MFP figures are just averages. Actual calories consumed vary enormously from person to person depending on weight, fitness level, metabolism etc etc.

Great thread, by the way, and you're looking great. I have not been as successful as you, so I'm starting again, but this time I've persuaded my other half to do it with me.

IMO, it would be more accurate to say that exercise estimates vary in accuracy, with the error factor difficult to determine for most of them.

Power-metered cycling, for example, can produce fairly accurate calorie estimates. Heart rate monitors or fitness trackers can be more or less accurate depending on the specific exercise type and one's personal context. METS based estimating (as MFP uses) is better for some activities, worse for others; and MFP's implementation I believe over-credits calories in theory (by 1 MET times activity multiplier or thereabouts).

Most HRMs, trackers, and MFP - if properly set up - do adjust for weight and potentially other personal factors, but still use statistical estimating techniques.

50% is a conservative SWAG** that quite a few people like to use. Zero percent is the least accurate estimate, can't be right.

Personal exercise estimating accuracy can often be made better or worse, depending on methods chosen. I agree that being exactly exact is improbable, outside of a metabolic chamber or equivalent.

New estimators are IMO more likely to make errors, because they don't have as much background information, or experience that lets them reality-test an estimate. They don't necessarily know that 1000 calories per hour is a pretty elite level of power production (even for times shorter than an hour), for just one example. They probably don't have RPE comparatives across activities, even.

** Scientific wild-a** guess