At Goal & Successfully Maintaining. So Why Am I Doing This All Over Again?

Options

Replies

• 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    BL dragged out a sweatshirt. “Got a chill”, he said apologetically. “Can’t seem to shake it.”

And so it begins. The cold!!! The bone numbing cold! Also known as WLAF. Weight Loss *kitten* Freeze.

Yes. It’s a real thing.

That sensation, from the inside out, that you will never, ever be warm enough again. That, while you’ve slimmed down, the world will never notice because of the extra layers you’re piling on. When socks become your best friend. When you seriously consider wearing gloves to bed. When you catch your SO jealously eyeing your fleece bathrobe.

Fire up the kettle for some hot tea. This may be with you for a few seasons, and still crop up unexpectedly later on.

Get in the habit of carrying a sweater to restaurants, meetings etc.

Stock up on bubble bath for those nights only a hot bath will save you.

The best supposition ‘round these parts is that you’ve lost a layer of insulation. Your metabolism has changed. Something’s up. Many people here report experiencing WLAF.

On the NSV side, it’s proof you’re progressing. And maybe all those shivers burn calories?

My work partner, who is a fellow about two months older than me, lost somewhere around 100 - 120 lbs maybe 10 years ago and is NEVER warm.

Since I am a menopausal female who is never not-warm, this has led to many amusing conversations.
    Him: "Is it cold in here or is it just me?"
    Me: "Dude, I'm not the best person to ask...."

Him (wearing jacket indoors): "I'm not going anywhere, I'm just cold."
    Me (two fans running in cubicle): * glares silently *

He's convinced that weight loss permanently messed up his body's thermostat.

Interesting because I work with a guy that says he lost 100 lbs (before I knew him so at least 13 years ago) and we go through the same thing. Our offices are adjacent and share a thermostat. Thank god he has been working from home throughout the pandemic and I don't have to blast two fans in my office ...I dread that he might return to the office.

Edit: sorry I didn't realize I was responding to such an old post - can't get used to the new format.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    33gail33 wrote: »
    BL dragged out a sweatshirt. “Got a chill”, he said apologetically. “Can’t seem to shake it.”

And so it begins. The cold!!! The bone numbing cold! Also known as WLAF. Weight Loss *kitten* Freeze.

Yes. It’s a real thing.

That sensation, from the inside out, that you will never, ever be warm enough again. That, while you’ve slimmed down, the world will never notice because of the extra layers you’re piling on. When socks become your best friend. When you seriously consider wearing gloves to bed. When you catch your SO jealously eyeing your fleece bathrobe.

Fire up the kettle for some hot tea. This may be with you for a few seasons, and still crop up unexpectedly later on.

The best supposition ‘round these parts is that you’ve lost a layer of insulation. Your metabolism has changed. Something’s up. Many people here report experiencing WLAF.

On the NSV side, it’s proof you’re progressing. And maybe all those shivers burn calories?

My work partner, who is a fellow about two months older than me, lost somewhere around 100 - 120 lbs maybe 10 years ago and is NEVER warm.

Since I am a menopausal female who is never not-warm, this has led to many amusing conversations.

Interesting because I work with a guy that says he lost 100 lbs (before I knew him so at least 13 years ago) and we go through the same thing. Our offices are adjacent and share a thermostat. Thank god he has been working from home throughout the pandemic and I don't have to blast two fans in my office ...I dread that he might return to the office.

Edit: sorry I didn't realize I was responding to such an old post - can't get used to the new format.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one!

I'm having to constantly remind myself that the SO is low carb now. At this time of year my impulse is to gift him all his favourite candy treats and I can't do that this year. I also know he has no "off" switch, he can NOT moderate, so it's not like he can even enjoy a little bit within his carb limit and put it away for another day.

Maybe I'll just have to channel my impulse into buying him a stock of keto snack bars or something.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

Yes. It’s a real thing.

I'm having to constantly remind myself that the SO is low carb now. At this time of year my impulse is to gift him all his favourite candy treats and I can't do that this year. I also know he has no "off" switch, he can NOT moderate, so it's not like he can even enjoy a little bit within his carb limit and put it away for another day.

Maybe I'll just have to channel my impulse into buying him a stock of keto snack bars or something.

I find that fancy nuts makes a nice low carb indulgence.
  • ythannah
    Options

Yes. It’s a real thing.

I find that fancy nuts makes a nice low carb indulgence.

That's a really good idea for a treat gift, and not one that would have occurred to me since I'm not a nut eater.

Must look for these Nugo bars too. I have no idea which ones taste good and which ones taste like sawdust but "like crack" sounds like a solid recommendation.

The silly man bought two liters of eggnog without checking the nutrition label. "And how many carbs in a serving of that stuff?" I asked, knowing full well it is loaded with sugar. 41 grams. And now I have to complete his heartbreak by demonstrating how small a 250 ml serving really is... no, it's not a full drinking glass, it's more like half of one.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,425 Member
    Options
    @ythannah the Nugo dark chocolate mint is our favorite, but the dark chocolate coconut is as good or better than a mounds bar. Both are 200 calories and the size of a full sized candy bar. Everyone is sold out of the mint except the Nugo site itself. If you Google, you can find a coupon code for the initial order. Sprouts has them if you want to try one prior to committing, but all our local Sprouts have short supply.

There’s an Almond nog that’s lower cal but I haven’t bit. When I was a kid we had home delivery straight from the dairy, one of two dairies in the country that was allowed to sell unpasteurized milk. Their creamy thick eggnog was the pinnacle, and nothing will ever compare, so I don’t even bother. We kids were allowed about half a cup each, per holiday season.
  • springlering62
    Options
    Feeling 😎 with myself.

Packed a peanut butter sandwich, carrots, radishes, a donut, and a serving of chips for the flight. Even with a second lunch, due to the three hour time change, managed to stay fairly close to goal, even with some foods I don’t normally eat (Ethiopian, fancy Ramen).

Didn’t eat the donut and had it for breakfast with some jerky, as it was actually the lower cal / higher protein option versus what the hotel had on offer.

Will decline the airplane Biscoff next time. Not worth the calories. 😂

Amazing how our mindset changes when we start thinking.

(Ask me again after we visit See’s Chocolates, though!)

Going for a run on the beach while SIL surfs this morning. Am genuinely looking forward to that. Have never ever run on a beach before.

I did not know you could hear coyotes howl at night in CA. That’s just wild. Makes me feel better and much less stressed about the coyote prowling our urban east coast neighborhood. Everyone ignores them here, so I guess I can, too.
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,313 Member
    Options
    Other than making sure the cat comes in at night, we don't worry much about the coyotes here. Enjoy your run on the beach! I find it incredibly difficult to run in the sand.
  • ythannah
    Options
    @ythannah the Nugo dark chocolate mint is our favorite, but the dark chocolate coconut is as good or better than a mounds bar. Both are 200 calories and the size of a full sized candy bar. Everyone is sold out of the mint except the Nugo site itself. If you Google, you can find a coupon code for the initial order. Sprouts has them if you want to try one prior to committing, but all our local Sprouts have short supply.

There’s an Almond nog that’s lower cal but I haven’t bit. When I was a kid we had home delivery straight from the dairy, one of two dairies in the country that was allowed to sell unpasteurized milk. Their creamy thick eggnog was the pinnacle, and nothing will ever compare, so I don’t even bother. We kids were allowed about half a cup each, per holiday season.

I'm in Canada but I did find a Canadian Nugo site so I can definitely order them here.

As for eggnog, I tried this stuff last year on a whim (okay, it was marked down) and really liked it. Not thick and creamy but good flavour.
    Coconut_HoliidayNog_32oz.png
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Re: coyotes. I grew up in the country and once came face to face with an entire pack of coyotes while trying to rescue a dog which had been hit by a car. Unbeknownst to me they had been circling the dog waiting for it to die. I flung my arms out wide and shouted at them and they all ran off. So, yeah, keep cats and small dogs indoors at night, but don’t be too afraid of them. My husband and I have heard them howling right next to us on night trail runs, which is a little spooky, but not risky.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Read the comments about Nugo bars. I'll have to locate some and try them.

I have experimented making my own protein bars. Started a thread here asking for other's input and suggestions. One of the respondents pointed me at Kirkland's (Costco) brand protein bars. She said they were as good as Quest bars - and at less than a dollar apiece - she had stopped making her own. I tried them and have never looked back. 20 grams of protein and 10 grams of fiber. That is my work week breakfast now.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    So many common mistakes and misconceptions, luckily you're there to help!

I cringe when I look at my food diary from when I started my weight loss. So many horrible entries and I don't remember ever thinking I needed to improve my logging, it somehow magically and gradually improved (luckily!) to my current 'anal' logging 😁
  • JenKindo
    JenKindo Posts: 418 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    I forget how much over processed garbage and the quantities I used to eat. Just logging (honestly!) makes you realize what foods are worth it and which aren't. Food scales are so vital to being honest with myself. And I'm learning to guesstimate when I'm not eating at home and make better choices. You can try to fool yourself, but neither set of scales lie!
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I was resistant to weighing myself regularly too. It is so second nature to me now, I don't even think about it. It is the FIRST thing I do every morning - no big deal (I mean, I have to pee anyway, I might as well weigh myself while I'm there, right?). The daily stream of weight data is SO HELPFUL to know when I'm on track, and when my body is being weird.

Ugh.. That demoralizing feeling he must have had with seeing his weight "go up"! Poor guy. Good thing he's got you to help him. :smiley:

• ythannah
    Options
    In fact, he seems to have found the absolute most generic, home-cook recipe entries for most the meals he’s logged.

This was the SO's biggest pitfall when logging also, choosing the most attractive (lowest calorie) entries over the more accurate ones.

It was a huge disaster for him since he works away for two weeks at a time and eats all his meals in a cafeteria so he was stuck with guesstimating anyway. But he was determined to make those numbers fit his goal, regardless of what he'd actually eaten.
  • springlering62
    Options
    In fact, he seems to have found the absolute most generic, home-cook recipe entries for most the meals he’s logged.

This was the SO's biggest pitfall when logging also, choosing the most attractive (lowest calorie) entries over the more accurate ones.

It was a huge disaster for him since he works away for two weeks at a time and eats all his meals in a cafeteria so he was stuck with guesstimating anyway. But he was determined to make those numbers fit his goal, regardless of what he'd actually eaten.

Truth!!!!!!!

I roll the other direction. I try to choose the highest calorie version of meals out so I have a buffer.