At Goal & Successfully Maintaining. So Why Am I Doing This All Over Again?

Options

Replies

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    That five week message always reminds me of this skit about winter on Canadian tv a few years ago:

https://youtu.be/wkDvqQKGgDA

:D:D:D

Hilariously accurate. Today it was -41 but on Tuesday we're gonna be -2... until Tuesday gets closer, of course.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,513 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    And PS if you quote someone OR use an @ sign in front of their ID like @anmlmzdiet it both highlights their name in the post and puts a flag up top that you’ve been mentioned in a post so you can check and see why your ears are burning.
  • springlering62
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Are you using the meals / recipes function?

You’ll find it in the main menu.

With the recipes function, you can import recipes from many other websites by pasting in the url.

j38fmfyvng6y.jpeg

Later you can find the recipe and import it into your daily food diary. It will show in your diary as one lump item, ie “Lasagna 626 calories”. It will also give you lump sums on the macros included in the ingredients.

Personally, though, I prefer the “meals” function to save a recipe.

Yes, you have to take a few moments to individually find and enter each ingredient. But you have to futz around with recipes, too, to find the appropriate items prior to saving.

When you save a meal to your daily diary, it will save each ingredient individually.

This makes it easy to change a single ingredient. For example you substituted chicken or mushrooms for ground beef in your lasagna that day. Or maybe there was a sale on the store brand, which has slightly different calories than what you usually use. You can copy your meal and save it with the revised ingredients.

Saving as a meal also lets you track your macros in more detail, by individual ingredient.

You also have the ability to copy a meal as many times as you want, and easily adjust the ingredients, if you’re still experiment or improving on it, while still saving a copy of the original meal.

I find it helps to include the date in my title, because the last version is typically the most accurate and up to date.

Here I’ve saved the original entry as “lasagna sauce only”, because this sauce also happens to make a terrific spaghetti sauce.

Then I copied the sauce entry and added the rest of the lasagna ingredients for a full pan of lasagna. (After deducting 25% of the sauce because I’ve set that aside for spaghetti for anther couple meals. )

1s75mifmyjq5.jpeg

It’s also easier for a spouse or friend to find and transport a meal from your diary into their own, and know exactly what they’re eating. If they copy a recipe all they’re getting is that lump sum total.

I generally save a meal as 1 serving and then adjust the quantity within my diary function before I add it to my diary.

For example, this pan of lasagna Is a total of 7,538 calories. It will make 12 servings.

When I find the meal in my diary, I’ll change the serving size to .083 (or 1/12th) before saving it to my diary. This will add 626 to my daily food diary for dinner.

Please note. I do use the iOS app. The Android should be similar. I rarely use the web version, so YMMV. The best way to figure these out is simply to sit down and play with them. But if you’ve got a pretty consistent rotation of meals, using either function will make your life- and logging- much easier!
  • springlering62
    edited February 2022
    Options
    @dralicephd ….and that’s why you guys are so awesome.

I didn’t know that.

But I still prefer recipes entered as meals because I can see where particular macros need amping up. (That may onky be in the paid version?)
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    But I still prefer recipes entered as meals because I can see where particular macros need amping up.

Ahh that makes sense. I'm just happy if I can get my husband to remember what he put in the food so I can log it accurately. lol... Sooooo many nights of: "Where's the label so I can scan it?" "oh oops, I threw it away again." Or: "How many cups of turnips did you add?" "Ummm.... 3? No, 4! No wait, it was 3".

But since I'm not cooking, it is all good. :smiley: