At Goal & Successfully Maintaining. So Why Am I Doing This All Over Again?

Options

Replies

• MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 The date hors d’oeuvre sounds amazing! I will definitely try that out!
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options

Blackstrap molasses can add to smoothie. Specifically blackstrap.

This caught my eye too. My mum was taking this daily to supplement potassium since potassium tablets tend to be high in sodium.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,517 Member
    Options

Agree.

But, dates are one of those foods I can guzzle and have to steer clear of.

I know you’re vegan @AnnPT77 but there’s a restaurant here who does bacon wrapped dates that are to die for. Two ingredients.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,293 Member
    Options

Agree.

But, dates are one of those foods I can guzzle and have to steer clear of.

I know you’re vegan @AnnPT77 but there’s a restaurant here who does bacon wrapped dates that are to die for. Two ingredients.

I'm vegetarian, not vegan, or there wouldn't be cheese in my dates. 😉

I only buy dates when needed for prepping specific foods. I don't keep them around the house, generally.

Quite apart from being veg, I don't much care for bacon. (Heresy, I know.) I liked side pork better, back in the day.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I can't have dates in the house either. Way too yummy. The only time I buy them is when I'm making granola because the recipe uses dates and oranges for sweetening.
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    ridiculous59

Please share your granola recipe!
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 what brand of blackstrap molasses do you prefer, and where do you buy it?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,293 Member
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    @AnnPT77 what brand of blackstrap molasses do you prefer, and where do you buy it?

Of those I've tried, I prefer this one (photo below). It doesn't say "blackstrap" on the front, but does in the ingredients. I've seen it quite a few places hereabouts, but usually buy it at a local health-food-ish grocery store. (I'm in Michigan, it's from Texas, so it's not a local brand, nor a store brand.) There are cheaper brands, and I don't claim to have tried all of them, but I tried quite a feel, found this one tastes best to me.

vhzulez0euu4.jpg
    goq93c6ux6yt.jpg
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    Another volume eater here. Lunch most days is a bag salad kit. There are lots of choices with different dressings and condiments. I pair that with a protein source like canned chicken or tuna or leftover steak or taco meat.
  • springlering62
    Options
    … and a very little butter. (Unlike you I really prefer the taste of real butter! But a little goes a long way for me.)
    Truth!!!!! I use so little butter or Mayo now compared to before. Too much is just kinda icky.

BL made dinner last night so I could do an evening class. Tomato soup with sliced chicken sausage and grilled cheese sandwiches.

He proudly announced “There’s four grams of butter per slice of bread”. The dude is awesome.

BTW we’ve been using the “I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter Lite” at 35 cal per tablespoon. It tastes just fine and gives you the mouth-feel of something richer.
    Another volume eater here. Lunch most days is a bag salad kit. There are lots of choices with different dressings and condiments. I pair that with a protein source like canned chicken or tuna or leftover steak or taco meat.

Bag salads are heaven’s gift to calorie counters. They stay so fresh and I’ve found a brand that doesn’t have that “irradiated” taste. I buy five or six bags at a time. So easy. Just rip open and pour the whole bag into the bowl.

And half a bag with tomato cherries is a quick easy and filling side dish for dinner for well under 50 calories. It’s the only way I can get leafy greens into BL because I’ll prep the salad while dinner is cooking and he eats it on the spot til the rest of dinner is ready.

I have a mini crockpot that’s maybe a quart or quart and a half big. I throw either a couple chicken breasts or a chunk of pork loin in at breakfast, set it for low, and by dinner time I have a pot of easily shredded meat I can season for sandwiches and also as a supplement to the dog’s fry food. Chicken breast and loin are about $2 a pound here so it’s cheap and nutritious for both of us, and buy does he get excited when he sees both of us are eating the same thing! Yeah, we’re a pack!
  • springlering62
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Oh oh oh! And if you have access to Taylor Farms fresh bagged stir fry kits, they are fresh and fantastic. Most groceries carry them, including kroger, Lidl,Walmart.

I add a few ounces of chicken or tofu and don’t use their sauce unless I have extra calories to play with.

The whole big bag is about 70 calories without their sauce and includes stuff like Brussels sprouts, cabbage, snow peas, carrots. Good stuff!

Instead of their sauce, I use a honey ginger balsamic vinegar. It gives a nice crisp flavor for almost no calories.
  • fatty2begone
    fatty2begone Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Chicken is getting difficult to find in my area (Wisconsin). Visited Florida about 3 weeks ago same thing. Anyone else observing this?. Also tried to get cornedbeef yesterday. Stopped at 2 stores and nothing. What a whacky world this is.

I am a +1 on big salads. I love the crunch of iceberg, but mix about half spinach with it for nutrition. Add some cukes, onions, and boiled egg, turkey or chicken and a very filling meal.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I second the huge salad idea! And I love honey ginger balsamic on it. I buy it by the wine bottle size when I visit the "oil and vinegar" store. I'm also a fan of homemade soups in the cooler weather and always have containers of various types in my freezer. Right now I have some borsht, carrot ginger, cauliflower, and veggie. Our local Walmart sells bags of veggies that are nearing their expiry date for $2. What a deal! I can make a Crock-Pot full of soup and eat massive bowls of it for relatively few calories.
  • springlering62
    edited February 2022
    Options
    @fatty2begone i live in north Georgia, the chicken capital of the planet. We are normally spoiled with $1.99 a pound boneless skinless, even cheaper on sale. It’s been hit or miss here. Sometimes a decent though not abundant supply, generally sold out.

A lot of stores here have bare shelves particularly bag salads (but that’s a salmonella recall), some dairy products (I cannot find blue cheese for love nor money) and a few other things. It goes in waves. Yesterday Kroger had a limited supply of beef. There were also a lot of bare shelf spots, and places where the last few had been pulled up to the front.

I just got back from San Diego and they’ve been hit with the cream cheese shortage we had over the holidays. Now, we seem to have it coming out our ears in ATL.

Except for the Greek cream cheese I want. I’m going to have a whack at making my own. I made labneh one time. It’s not hard.

ETA: it doesn’t help that Atlanta has had a dusting of snow twice this month. Everyone goes buck wild and clears the shelves in case they starve for the twelve hours it will take to melt.

And OMG a shortage of Fancy Feast. I’m rationing the last ten cans of creamy tuna, and my Stinky is NOT happy. I even looked in every store I visited in CA and was willing to check a couple of cases as checked baggage. No dice.

ssbkmg8sq9cw.jpeg
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options

I do this for quick and easy suppers. Mix in tuna, salmon, dry cottage cheese or vegetarian taco "meat" for a protein source and voila, it's a meal.