At Goal & Successfully Maintaining. So Why Am I Doing This All Over Again?

Replies

• wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited May 2022
    Like Ann my biggest hangup is mostly about being athletic. Feels fake. Run 25 miles a week, hike 10, do recreational sports, but nope. I just can't wrap my head around being any kind of athletic. The biggest help for me was dog sports -- because I can and do identify as a dog trainer, so the sporty side of dog training is still 'dog training just now with sport'. Nice bridge. Almost makes it, most of the time.

My size was never a part of my identity so being fat didn't change how I see myself/identify myself, and neither did losing the weight. I DO have a few dysmorphia things - get thrown trying to buy clothes/don't want to buy the right size because that doesn't make sense, but no real impostor syndrome. The things I actually DO identify myself as being haven't really changed.
  • SilverSage1
    SilverSage1 Posts: 54 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for opening up your hearts ♥️

I don't consider myself a runner. I'm just an old lady (62) who runs. I do many things: canoe, kayak, dragon boat, ski, snowshoe, hike, yoga, a bit of strength training, but because I don't excel at any of them, I don't consider myself an athlete.
    Don't sell yourself short. You are more active and athletic than the majority of women your age!

Old? At 62? 😵 That must make my wife and I ancient! In our spare time, we lay flooring, tile, hang cabinets, install baseboards, build closets, etc. We refuse to call ourselves old - that's a word I'm not ready to own. (In case you missed that post, we are 68 and 79).

FWIW, just a different perspective: I call myself a "li'l ol' lady" at 66, and proudly so.

Impaired abilities, sadly, become statistically more common with increasing age, but they aren't synonyms of age. Treating them as synonyms, IMO, reinforces stereotypes and encourages low (self-)expectations.

My mission is to underscore that "old" can be energetic, lively, curious, strong, active, sharp-minded, . . . . etc.

Even the impairments one may have, at any age - and I do have a few, thankfully mostly minor so far - are better thought of as things to work with, around, over, through or generally past (in some wily way) on the way to goals, as much as possible.

"Old" is good stuff, especially so in my personal world as a cancer survivor and cancer widow.

JMO.

I respectfully see your point. If you notice my screen name (which I have used online for decades) its 2 parts. Silver is a reference to my Snow White hair, which I’ve had for 25 years. Sage is a term for experience and wisdom, usually applied to tribal elders (old people). My niece in law was born in China and refers to my generation as the Elders, which carries a huge amount of respect in her culture. If you find old Internet forums, I’m
    Usually just called Sage, or wise one.

I embrace my age. Words have power. Terms like Sage and Elders suggest that I have attained some level of wisdom and earned some modicum of respect. In my background, Old just means old. Aged. It is often paired with terms like old and feeble, or old and decrepit.

I love that you embrace the term old . For me, I am not ready to own it. It carries too much baggage and too many limitations. We all come from different places, but to me, ‘old lady’ is limiting. Words have power.