WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2021

Replies

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,027 Member
    I was lonely after my divorce. I had to move to a cheaper town, away from my friends, and work from home. There were weeks when I didn't speak to anyone. I did a lot of knitting. And I had my little dog Teddy.

Heather, so glad your son isn't hurt worse. Did they find a cause to the accident?

Annie in Delaware
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Machka, I, too, am inspired by the Paralympics. Along with that I am currently reading a book in which the author recounts his mother's journey through years of away from home treatment for polio into her adulthood of raising a family. These things encourage me to focus on what's right in my world, rather than what is wrong.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

My husband, in particular, has taken a lot of inspiration from the paralympians. He relates to them and their stories. Many tears have been shed here in the last couple weeks as we've gotten to know the Australian ones through the good coverage we've had and watched their victories ... even just being there and completing! Several of the announcers were past paralympians as well. They've gone on to make careers in media. And I was really impressed when I learned that some of the running/jumping paralympians make their own running/jumping legs - as in, they work in that industry as engineers, designing and creating these things.

The way so many people have taken daunting situations and turned them around to something positive was just wonderful to see.

Even with my husband's situation ... at least we can still ride bicycles. Not the distances we used to, but at least we can!

M in Oz

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    🌞🌻😊
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,504 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    1st place has been saving up his rides and made one big entry. He is now at 2069.63 … that means I have 300.54 miles now that I have to do before this coming Wednesday to catch up to him. Ugh…I could do it if I rode 100 miles for today, Sunday and Monday but do I want to?? I dunno…. Sad face sore butt.

Would that all be inside?

I've done heaps of 100 mile days outside but I don't know if I'd have the motivation to do it inside!!

Machka in Oz
    all inside

The longest I've done inside is 4 hours ... 2 movies!

The fastest century (100 miles) I've done outside was 6 hours in Manitoba (flat, flat, flat), on a beautiful day, with no wind.

I'm not sure I could have gone on for another 2 hours inside!!

M in Oz

The MS ride is definitely not flat

enrqhy5htc9f.png
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited September 2021
    <3
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,931 Member
    Now that I have to pay attention to skin and sun, I've noticed in others.
    - a colleague wearing gloves yesterday in the sun, - who has vitigo - another woman wearing gloves yesterday - a warm day, a rather young woman (late 30s?) sitting in the shade applying 50 sunscreen says she has to protect her skin, another woman wearing a mask more to protect herself from sun than from virus I think, another who clearly had an operation around her nose area, another who had a bicycle accident and a big scar on her forehead. all in 2 days.
    - things I surely wouldn't have noticed or thought about before.

No one is "perfect" ... whatever that is!

Have you been watching the Paralympics? It's inspiring to see what can be accomplished by people who have been born different or who have been through diseases or difficulties.

M in Oz

I have really enjoyed the Paralympics- I like the Olympics too but Paralympics are very inspiring for sure.
    That is the only sports I ever watch.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited September 2021
    (((Kim))) – I am sorry that you experience loneliness on a regular basis. The pandemic has hit us all and keeps many away from socializing with friends, casual acquaintances, and extended family. Telephones, the internet and this group are lifelines for me. We are able connect with friends & extended family members in distant locations. DH & I live in a townhouse community and have been able to visit with our neighbors-- five feet away, outdoors. No one is invited inside. We are currently all wearing masks in public places such as grocery stores. The mask mandate here in Oregon seems to fluctuate depending on Covid numbers. This group, including you, has made a huge difference in my life and I am grateful for each and every person here. :heart:

Heather – I hope your son is doing okay and was not seriously hurt in the bike fall. Happy for you that he sent a message to let you know how he is doing. I hope his broken finger heals quickly. :star:

Machka – I like your comments regarding your DH’s situation. The two of you manage to deal with things and enjoy your lives. My DH is diabetic and has MS. It is difficult, but he is still going places and doing things. The toughest loss for us was sailing. We still have the boat, but DH cannot go on board because balancing is too difficult. In the world of shoulds, I should sell it. Not happening today. :ohwell: I love your photo on the bike path. Tasmania is beautiful from your camera’s eye view. Your photography gives us a wonderful view.

Pip – You are, and have been, our hero in the fight to defeat MS now and in the past. Thank you for your steadfast participation in the Deception Pass Classic. :heart: :heart: :heart:

Our sweet old dog passed away from cancer a month or two ago. We miss his companionship every day and will look for another dog, likely in the early part of 2022. We have family obligations that will require air-travel. Not a good situation for dogs unless they are guide dogs or other service animals. We will look for a pup when we come home.

Katla in overcast NW Oregon
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,631 Member
    Machka - I have no idea, it is something I have had since being in elementary school - in fact for years and years I thought everyone was lonely and that it was just the way we all felt every day not something that was more "me" but I am pretty sure it is not depression related as when I was on anti-depressant meds I was still lonely. The fact that it is just bad once or twice a week now I think is just getting used to the feeling and figuring how to tamp it down before it's an issue. Just shows how we are all so different and yet so much the same.

Heather - so glad that your son is ok. So sad to hear it is a known problem that has not been addressed correctly. That is too bad to hear about Nellie, they should check on "separation anxiety" in dogs it is actually often made worse by the owners routine when leaving a pup - crating a dog while you are away if done right can actually be very helpful.

Pip - you are #1 in our eyes --who cares about their list....

Smiles Kim in N. California
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,931 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Machka, I, too, am inspired by the Paralympics. Along with that I am currently reading a book in which the author recounts his mother's journey through years of away from home treatment for polio into her adulthood of raising a family. These things encourage me to focus on what's right in my world, rather than what is wrong.

do it.

:)Tracy, My father was in the Coast Guard all the years I was growing up and often on duty away for months. My mother was a master at being independent and self sufficient during that time. She learned to love the time he was gone. When he retired, she got a job because it made her crazy that he was home and underfoot all day.

:) It's "Grocery Day"--a highlight of our week when we drive to the store and have our groceries loaded into the back of our car.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

My former hubby was in the Coast Guard when we got married. When he got stationed on the ship at first it was very hard but, like your mom, I started getting more independent and yes, looked forward to when he would leave and look forward to when he was home. He was out two months in AK, home two months,then back out again. It was hard when he got out. A real adjustment for both of us. Sadly, he didn't adjust well(and had other issues he hid from me and didn't deal with so his way to cope was to leave). Thankfully he got help later on and now we are best friends.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,746 Member
    Barbara ... good news regarding nephew!

Heather ... glad to see that son will be ok. Once the adrenaline leaves, hope he doesn't feel too poorly ..

I'm back to watching church online until I get a different kind of brace for the broken leg ... right now I'm wearing shorts and I just can't see that in church. Not to mention transporting me is a pain for everyone.

I think I experienced loneliness most when my expectations were for something different. I remember the isolation of having a disabled son and wishing for a good friend who would allow me to talk or vent about the day... not wanting to burden my husband with more than he already had. Once my expectations of what my life should look like changed, once I became more settled with who I am and who I am meant to be ... the loneliness factor has sort of vanished. I'm at peace. Not sure that all makes sense, but that's what I'm thinking.

Beth near Buffalo
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,939 Member
    Barbara, I’m so thankful for the good news about your nephew.

Jenn, wow! Just wow! I’m so glad you survived the kayak fiasco and didn’t let it scare you away from something you love. I have a friend who is like that with horses. Every time I talk to her she’s had another injury from riding. I will say, “are you going to stop riding now?” And she will say, “ for at least another week, then I should be ok.” I am afraid of horses and kayaks, so I will let y’all have your fun.

Jenni, welcome! Thank you for sharing your story. I’m sorry your relationship did not work out but glad you didn’t waste any more time on it.

Heather, glad your son’s injuries seem to be minor. Enjoy the grandchildren.

The only time I’ve ever lived alone was the six weeks my husband spent in Minnesota with his mother in her last days. I’m not sure that counted since it was always temporary. We are both independent and introverts, though, so we do a lot of things separately now. I think I would be fine. Hard to say, for sure, though, since I haven’t experienced it.

My father is home and I’m letting my sister and my mama carry the heavy load right now. Once she goes back to NOLA, I will need to step back up to the plate - probably staying up there at night so that Mama is not alone with him.

My new metabolic reboot plan starts tomorrow. I’m trying to get a head start just by focusing on protein. It is hard as heck to eat 90 g of protein a day - just saying. I hit it yesterday and plan to hit it today. I had a pack of tuna, crackers, a carrot and a pear for lunch. My old eating habits much prefer peanut butter crackers and a Diet Dr P. It does help if one meal a day is a protein smoothie.

Starting weight on this venture (just for accountability) is 196.8. I’ll try to remember to update you guys once a week.
  • Katla49
    <3
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,903 Member
    <3
  • Katla49
    <3