WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2021

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Drove today so no formal exercise. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Biggest Loser at Home Challenge DVD (one of the new ones)

drKatie – is there a special protein powder you need to use?

Anne DE – I don’t know how I’d survive without my freezer! Glad yours is back in business

Pretty uneventful drive. Did see some cops putting a woman in handcuffs, tho. Passed a truck that said it was “College hunks Picking Up Junk”. I thought that was cute

Rebecca – I say “let,s skip winter and do summer twice”

Everyone in GA and SC – did you see me waving to you???

Michele back in NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,920 Member
    Options
    :) We got our flu shots today as well as a newer version of the pneumonia vaccine. I asked the pharmacist ( whom I've known and trusted for years) about the covid booster and the shingles vaccine and got some good answers. We'll go back to start the shingles series in a few weeks and in a few months when we are eligible, we'll get the covid booster.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,880 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    CarolGaGal wrote: »
    Machka ~ I am sorry you feel you can't vent here. It makes me wonder how many people would feel like searching the internet to see what you have to say. :'(

Carol in GA

Family - we're all quite computer literate
    Work colleagues in other departments
    Legal people

I live in Tasmania where there is about 2 degrees of separation between people.

• Machka9
    Options
    Vickil57 wrote: »
    I also believe we all need that one person we can just "be ourselves with Mine was my friend Sam that had the stroke.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3

Mine was my husband.

• Machka9
    Options
    My favourite season is summer.
    I like:
    • the long daylight hours, the warmth, the sunshine
    • being outside more
    • being able to walk to the beach or cycle outside after work
    • long hot, sticky walks or runs at lunch
    • all the flowers blooming and veggies becoming ripe
    • all the yummy fresh fruit
    • feeling less achy
    • walking in sand and cool water to relieve my arthritis
    • being able to sit outside and read
    • wearing light clothing
    • Christmas!

My second favourite season is autumn.

Machka in Oz
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    Heather - I love the picture of Bea way up in the tree. Up in a tree was my favourite place to be growing up.

Machka - I’m with you, summer is my favourite, second is probably Spring. I do love Fall especially when I was in NB and it looked like the whole forest was saying “look at me”, but it reminds me Winter is coming.

Update on GS - principal brushed it off to the teacher and the teacher hasn’t gotten back to my daughter yet. For Zero Tolerance with bullying it doesn’t seem they move fast. I was a TA, I understand that there can’t be eyes everywhere on everything and being the first of the year in a pandemic it’s got to be tough, but the Grammie in me is furious! GS said he had a good day today because he didn’t get kicked. He’s a bit of a smart Alec.

I just got home from work 12.5 hour day, I rushed to get payroll done fast because I have a lot to do tomorrow to have Thursday and Friday off.

Tracey in Edmonton

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I am tired after a long day. We’ve had both of our cars serviced this week & today was number 2. The mechanics did a great job on both cars.
  • Machka9
    Options
    6dnzavxjm7tk.png
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) Someone I admire said that the more he concentrates on the problem, the more the problem increases, and the more he concentrates on the solution, the more the solution increases. I have taken that advice to heart and do a whole lot less venting about the things I can't change and put more energy into doing something about the things I can change.

So true about the focus, that what we concentrate on tends to increase to a large degree.

I find it's good to acknowledge and express major or obsessive concerns: whether that is reasonable or useful or not.
    The expression seems to help evacuate them. Kind of like how mindfulness on pain or a stuck thought sometimes helps to dissipate it. And it is healthy to share "within reason" I think. Within reason is subjective. Sometimes writing preoccupations down can suffice.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    I am reading and skimming. Not home so much and not so free these days so it's not easy to keep up, with complete answers to many like in the summer.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,705 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Well its very early here i haven't slept well. Going to call Dr when they open .
    I have pain under my right breast and cant get comfortable. I Dont know if I pulled a muscle,if its gall bladder related or what but its making it very uncomfortable to sleep..
    With everything I have to plan ahead,do I pack a bag for Alfie if he has to go with Tom and Elena? Do I pack a bag for me in case I have to be hospitalized.. ugh after this last year I just should keep 2 small bags ready just in case for each one of us lol.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to a quieter day today. It's going to be a HOT one, but the rain is set to come in later, so that will be summer over. Yesterday was in the mid 80s.
    I love the spring. I adore the first bulbs pushing through and always have daffodils on my dining table. I love the sun, but not the heat, so it's perfect for me.
    I've finished my second edit, so I will be proof reading through now. Then I will have to write some kind of introduction. :#:o:#

Much love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Well its very early here i haven't slept well. Going to call Dr when they open .
    I have pain under my right breast and cant get comfortable. I Dont know if I pulled a muscle,if its gall bladder related or what but its making it very uncomfortable to sleep..
    With everything I have to plan ahead,do I pack a bag for Alfie if he has to go with Tom and Elena? Do I pack a bag for me in case I have to be hospitalized.. ugh after this last year I just should keep 2 small bags ready just in case for each one of us lol.

I hope you feel better soon.

Having the 2 bags ready seems like a wise idea.

during COVID 1st lockdown when I had a fever and there were no tests, and the GP said that COVID could appear seriously quickly. since I live alone, I prepped a little bag near the door with - maybe toothbrush toothpaste and undies and maybe a shirt or pjs.

I once went to the hospital for out patient test and then they kept me for 5 days. I asked if I could go home to get my stuff. No. I was able to get a not-very-close friend to go to my MESSY home to get some stuff, but was short, and I think she didn't feel comfortable and didn't know her way around.

I remember needing my cellphone charger, credit card, phone numbers, underwear, pjs, an early light book to read, and a mirror (there was none in the bathroom!), probably a shirt or change of clothes, and also asking people to bring a couple of fruit or juice boxes, to have something fresh tasting, as the food was kind of meat-milk potatoes and overcooked very old-style cafeteria food, not very good at the hospital.

• bananasandoranges
    Options
    FOODS THAT ARE CHALLENGING FOR YOU TO EAT IN MODERATION?

What are some foods that you find hard to eat in moderation?

Have you had periods where you found it easier to eat in moderation than others?

Thanks from Julie, in Paris

• bananasandoranges
    Options

Have you had periods where you found it easier to eat in moderation than others?

I am finding even bananas challenging at present!

I used to buy 4 or 5 - a usual bunch, but now I'm tending to buy one or two at a time, as I'm often tempted do have one here or there as a snack and can eat 3 or 4 in a day.

Added one too breakfast: 23 g. of carbs... doesn't seem worth it. I think I need to scale it down to half a banana!

Otherwise- chocolate sometimes, almond cake, sometimes a very good cheese, what else...?

In the past I have had worse (in my 20s and early 30s) and better (from my early 30s to early 50s) periods in terms of eating with measure and having a stock of treats in the house without worrying about eating them quickly.

Some good treats I can keep around without too much risk.
    frozen berries, chocolate powder, maple syrup, olive oil, berries, apples, pears, peaches, often bread, usually butter is ok - I usually don't finish it quick enough.
  • Machka9
    Options

Since 2015, I don't really have a problem with eating foods in moderation. The only time I struggled a bit was when my husband was in hospital for 100 days and the only things I felt hungry for were chocolate covered almonds and pastas.

Otherwise, I don't like eating a lot of anything.

M in Oz