WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2021

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,638 Member
    Morning ladies
    I put fresh sheets on the bed last night and slept well ,i had the windows open and there were coyotes out back that sent Alfie barking a few times but was able to go back to sleep
    Going to hop in the shower and then go get Homer .. will try it out again and see how he will do.
    All quiet here this weekend but got alot done ,tomorrow I go to the kidney Dr.
    Dans ride is on vacation this week so I am taking him in tomorrow and thursday 7-3
    My friends wake is friday and the funeral Saterday.. I dont know which if any I will go to.. with this covid thing even with me vaccinated and with a booster it makes me nervous.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,124 Member
    edited September 2021
    Had a lovely 5k run this morning. I played my Running Playlist for the first time in ages and, because I was grinning and singing along, I got lots of smiles and hellos. :p
    I met a couple who used to come to our Swing Dance group. They had both had covid recently and the husband had been in hospital with pneumonia. Very poorly. He is still only walking for exercise. Both double vaxxed.
    Bought a lemon and some extra tomatoes to make a new recipe I read in today's Guardian. I've boiled the lemon and will make it the dish this afternoon to add to tomorrow's feast. :D
    Cleaner this afternoon.
    Will wash my hair and lay the table tonight. Then I won't be rushing tomorrow. We have got to take the lateral flow tests first thing to protect my friend with lung cancer.

My friend G's apartment sale has fallen through. She is very upset. It's weeks into the process. :'(

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxx
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,752 Member
    Kiz thanks for all the info on gut biome I will definitely look into that!

Carol i like the hair. Not ce color you picked!

Working today and the next two so here I go!

RvRita
  • grandmallie
    Carol- no tylenol I can take, its Nsaids I can't like advil,ibuprofen etc... im in my little den with the pups.. not much on TV, Alfie in my lap and Homer is snuggled up next to me and its all quiet..
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,773 Member
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited September 2021
    Jaoquin and Miguel. <3<3 And Uncle Colin. :D

Just finished our dinner. It's the smoked sausage, cabbage and sauerkraut dish. One of our favourites.

The tomato, pepper and lemon dish came out absolutely fabulous. It's from Claudia Roden's New book, MED. I got the recipe from the Guardian. She wrote a wonderful book about Jewish food which was one of the best history books I've ever read.
    When I was first married, and living in London, one of our close friends was part of her circle, though I never met her. She is now in her eighties. One of the great influences on the development of British food, into the world-influenced glory it is today.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/sep/19/claudia-roden-med-yotam-ottolenghi-jose-pizarro-sam-clark-recipes

I cheated and used a jar of peppers. >:):p

It will be a bit of a rush to get ready tomorrow, but we have time to get our exercising done. I'm very much looking forward to sharing food with my friends after such a long time.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    B)
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,388 Member
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Rebecca ... Fermented cabbage is easier to digest than raw cabbage, and may reduce digestive symptoms like bloating and gas. Sauerkraut may even help with certain digestive disorders, like IBS. (According to a website I was recently on)

Kelly ... I love your photos! Those boys make me smile every time.

Another beautiful day in western New York. Low humidity, a breeze, sun is shining, leaves are starting to turn ... and I'm sitting inside with my leg on a chair! Bah! I can get myself outside, but our ramps were built for a motorized wheelchair so not quite ADA. I need help getting back up the ramp in this manual chair I'm borrowing.
    Husband is dealing with arthritic gout and son's back is hurting, so I'll stay put.

Beth near Buffalo
    hugs Beth!
    Mine was steamed in broth. The sauerkraut that was on my Reuben sandwich was delightful. I love those at our Arbey's restaurant.
    Rebecca
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,433 Member
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Tracey – You are an excellent grandmother! I hope to do as well as you as time goes along. My daughter has three and my son has one son, and one son to be born later this fall. We will be going there to help out. :heart:

Kylia – Your SIL seems to be the wicked witch of Ohio. :grumble: We had a raccoon problem for several years, caused by a neighbor who fed them from her deck and front window. She moved away and no one else feeds them so they have not been bothering us for several years. The new family who moved in to that home is wonderful. I’m sorry for the loss of your friend’s grandson. :heart: :broken_heart:

Heather – Sorry your friend’s apartment sale didn’t go through. I hope she finds a new buyer soon. :star:

KJ – Love the photos of Joaquin and Miguel. Uncle Colin is an excellent uncle. :flowerforyou:

Peach – I think you look great. :star: My mom was a natural blonde, as was one of her sisters. Mom’s hair gradually mixed white into the blonde. Mine appears to be doing the same thing. My DH describes the color as platinum. I am flattered by his words. :embarassed:

Pip – Cannon Beach is a favorite destination of ours. Enjoy your stop there. :bigsmile: We spent half a day there when our daughter visited this summer. The beach is wonderful. We have one favorite restaurant overlooking the ocean, and there are many little shops.

Allie – DH can also take Tylenol, but none of the other nsaides. It sounds like your doctor has told you what is safe for you. :flowerforyou:

Our brother in law passed away after a long and productive life. He was past 90 when he died. DH has been in touch with his sister and we know she is surrounded by family. We don’t know what plans are being made for burial.

Katla in misty NW Oregon

Can’t wait to get there. Sorry to hear about your brother in law.
  • kizanne2
    kizanne2 Posts: 123 Member
    Last night was better, though I turned getting settled in bed and had a full swirl of vertigo. Dang it! So dealt with that off and on all night. Going to use the bathroom I felt like I was on a ship! Holding on to walls and such! This morning when Lee woke me up for the gym I said a resounding NO. Slept until he arrived back. My neck, eyeballs and head are achy. Swirls are no fun!
    Just being good to myself, drinking lots of water. Will probably have another tomato sandwich.
    Hugs to everyone that wishes one!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington

Rebecca I have suffered from vertigo in the past. It is so much worse than it sounds isn't it. *hugs*
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,388 Member
    kizanne2 wrote: »
    Last night was better, though I turned getting settled in bed and had a full swirl of vertigo. Dang it! So dealt with that off and on all night. Going to use the bathroom I felt like I was on a ship! Holding on to walls and such! This morning when Lee woke me up for the gym I said a resounding NO. Slept until he arrived back. My neck, eyeballs and head are achy. Swirls are no fun!
    Just being good to myself, drinking lots of water. Will probably have another tomato sandwich.
    Hugs to everyone that wishes one!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington

Rebecca I have suffered from vertigo in the past. It is so much worse than it sounds isn't it. *hugs*

Its not for the faint of heart! When I get it, I feel the swirls at night when I change positions. I told my doctor once that when I have it, turning, the swirls put me right back to sleep! He laughed and said I've never heard of people using vertigo as a sleep aid! I tend to move slowly, trying to not set the swirling off. Those take my breath away, and I tend to cry out! When I was at the doctors once he had me lie back, then I sat up and he was fascinated watching my eyes shuffle back and forth. Today I'm just sore from the 3 times of full on swirls last night. Knowing it goes away, keeps me hopeful!
    Rebecca
  • grandmallie
    Yes the vertigo is no fun ,when i get a good bout of it my stomach tells me to upchuck and sometimes at night when I roll over it feels like my eyes are rolling back and forth.. it gets infuriating.. but what can you do...
    The weather has been fabulous this is my kind of weather.. Fall is my favorite time of year for sure.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited September 2021
    Rebecca - Have you done the Epley manoeuvre.? It works immediately on DH. Instant cure for horrible vertigo. I did it on him after watching YouTube videos by doctors. Your husband would have to do it to you. We bought a collar to keep his head up afterwards. It works like magic. Instant.

Epley maneuver-performed on a real patient suffering from vertigo. YouTube. Bob and Brad.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx