Books that changed your outlook on NUTRITION!

Options

Replies

• DavisKarenR
    Options
    I refuse to read nutrition books. Good for you who do, but I don't want to confuse myself with all the stuff that is out there when I pretty much know the basics.

i thought i knew the basics too. then I read Nourishing Traditions. Flipped me on my head regarding nutrition and now i'll never go back.
  • Ritala1987
    Ritala1987 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    LAUGH WITH HEALTH!!!!! Manfred Urs Koch....A M A Z I N G!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon. It's how we should eat. :D

yes, yes, and yes. :-)

Such a good one! I think I've given it as a gift more than any other book. Before that it was Michael Murray or Protein Power. You might like Gospel of Food, good stuff. :smile: Guns, Germs and Steel is a good read too.
  • Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I read "Diet for a small Planet" in the seventies and yea, it changed my outlook.

I read a book called "Mad Cowboy"--can't remember the author but about a rancher who quit eating meat.

I love Alicia Silverstone's "The Kind Diet" about going vegan

And John Mcdougall has written a Lot about going vegan...

The movie "Food Inc" will make you not buy want to buy meat at Costco or Walmart...

Michael Pollan's "Food Rules" is pretty clear and to the point. Ie, don't eat food that is advertised on television :)
  • NorthRiver
    NorthRiver Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    For me, Jillian Michael's Master Your Metabolism was definitely a revelation.
  • TanyaLee122175
    TanyaLee122175 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I just happened to stumble upon this one but LOVE IT!!!

THE BELLY FAT CURE by JORGE CRUISE he has a website too. www.thebellyfatcure.com

trying to stick to the 15 grams of sugar and 120 grams of carbs a day at first may be tricky but it so pays off helps with the cravings and over eating and really does help with the weight loss everyone is different so results will be different, but I have been happy with what I have accomplished.
  • beaner1st
    beaner1st Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • btor
    btor Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    bump! I am an education major and writing a science unit on nutrition (fueling our bodies). Do you have any good book ideas that are specifically targeted towards childhood nutrition/education?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I firmly believe that anyone doing any professional level work on nutrition should first read (and do your best to understand) "Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism" 5th edition by Sareen S. Gropper (you can find it at Barnes and Noble), it's a difficult read and requires chemistry knowledge (college level), but it's super vital information to understanding the human body and anyone who is writing about nutrition should have a thorough understanding of this book (IMHO).

Its the model I use for most any of my metabolic discussions, it's straight fact, no opinion in it, it's wonderful. The section on the citric acid cycle (Krebs cycle) alone is worth the money.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    I have read a book through halfway called "Power Eating" by Susan Kleiner.
    I also read a book little by little from classic bodybuilder Frank Zane called the High Def Body.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Timothy Caulfield: The Cure For Everything! Untangling the Twisted Messages About Health Fitness and Happiness

Good chapters on nutrition and exercise

Like many posters, Michael Pollan and Marion Nestle
  • TheSane
    Options
    Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals and Eric Schlosser's Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    Joanna Blythman: Bad Food Britain...How a nation Ruined its appetite

A real eye opener..
  • clocklady
    clocklady Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman! I feel so good when I eat this way.
  • fitgirl4life
    fitgirl4life Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    'Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle' by Tony Venuto.

^^This. The book changed my eating forever. Reading it was a huge "lightbulb" moment for me. Five years on and I am still eating 5 small meals/day as recommended.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through every post, so I'm sure this has been said, but "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan. I'm going to read "The Omnivore's Delimma" next.
  • OnceAndFutureAthlete
    Options
    "It's not what you're eating, it's what's eating you!" by Janet Greeson, PhD*

This book is old and out of print but still available used on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Its-What-Youre-Eating-Whats/dp/0671867032/

Truthfully, I don't remember a lot of the details of the contents except it's about being mindful about WHY you're eating and searching for the emotional reasons that might lay behind your eating. Not an issue for everyone, but struck a chord with me. 20+ years later, the title still sticks in my head and reminds me to THINK before I GRAB.

* There is a more recent book (2009) with a very similar title, by Lisa Morrone, but I'm not talking about that one.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    The Jungle Effect
    http://www.amazon.com/Jungle-Effect-Discovers-Healthiest-World-Why/dp/0061535656

It is all about eating whole foods in the right combinations to avoid chronic diseases.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through every post, so I'm sure this has been said, but "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan. I'm going to read "The Omnivore's Delimma" next.

LOVE the Omnivore's Dilemma. Very interesting.