Pip that looks amazing!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip - WOW! This is wonderful. 😍❤️😍
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,555 Member
    Options
    No workout today, was home, rearranging the kitchen area,repacking bette, made more Spanish rice, etc. probably burned a few doing this stuff just didn’t record it.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Worked but did get to the gym to do a body pump DVD. Tomorrow I have work and then the soup kitchen. Afterwards, hopefully, I can do a 10 Minute Solution Quick Tummy Toner DVD. It’s supposed to rain so I guess no walk.

Lisa – sounds like that primary care doc is wonderful. I’m so sorry you can’t have surgery yet I swear I could smell BK on my shirt, and I’m only there for a few hours a day. So I’m washing my shirt. That smell gets to me.

Worked then went to the gym, then the Salvation Army, then stopped at CVS to see about getting my booster, but I need the actual (not the copy I have) vaccine card. Then went to this sewing place to see if this pack for Vince can be fixed. He uses it for the scanner at Daytona. Came home and then had to take my car for an oil change. While they were doing that I went to Aldi.

Going to try to get to work early tomorrow so that I have time to leave for the soup kitchen.

Smoking: My mother died when I was 9. I remember that she was a heavy smoker. Even at that age, before the American Cancer Society associated smoking with cancer, I related smoking with death. I have never touched a cigarette and can’t stand the smell. I don’t even like touching a butt (like picking it up to put in the trash)

I remember my father telling me that he asked his second wife (who I tolerated – that’s all) to go with him to see my grandmother (his mother). Her answer? “You go, she’s your mother”. My father, the super-religious person, was actually contemplating divorcing her (for this and other reasons). Why didn’t he? Because then she’d get half of everything. I suspect she was thinking that’s what would happen. Only my father fooled her. He outlived two wives….lol

pip – wow! You didn’t gain much at all. Lots to be proud of Probably because you were so active

RV Rita – how do you manage to meet such “different” people?????

Julie – what horrible news, but glad it was cut out.

Care giving: we had a lady stay with my father since I was in PA with my own family. I did spend every weekend there so that she could be with her family here in the US.

Pip – your patio floor looks really nice

Michele NC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,709 Member
    Options
    Nighty night ladies😴
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    B)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,555 Member
    Options
    Pppppp
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    <3
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,119 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    <3
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: BP, drug myself kicking and screaming to the BB&B YouTube and did it, dogs to GB shelter for nail trims, bank deposit and change.
    Bonus: 10 mins grooming Tumble, stroll through Harris Beach campground with T and Shadow, emailed hymns.
    Just one thing: found the 5lb dumbbells and used ‘em, picked up usb drive from safe deposit box, started watching one of the long-overdue DVDs.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, practice WBW, DM, GDLL, SWTD, SL, backup files, then call pc guy to schedule tuneup, text C, fire district: research NFPA, grant NIMS requirements, input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, likewise Lee skills/tasks, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; watch STAS Day 20, declutter sideboard, learn new dances (Tequila Little Time, Homesick, Nothing but You, A Little Less Broken, Blame it on my beating heart, Do Your Thing, practice dances: All Night, TGIF, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove, ask Te about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Sunday: call S, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this fall’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers and beit alpha cukes next year).
    Reminder: Weekly: Mon=15 mins SWSY. Tues=30 mins line dance at home. Wed=30 mins T’ai Chi & 1 hr pack walk. Thurs=15 mins BB&B. Fri=30 mins T’ai Chi. Sat=1 hr pack walk. Sun=15 mins pilates, yoga or wii balance games.
    October
    7: Look for the good in people around you today=the volunteers at Wild Rivers Animal Shelter.
    8: Make some progress on a task you have been avoiding=

Heather how long have your legs been aching? Know you are a vigorous exerciser with rowing and running, are the aches new?
    Kim $20/.75cord=what a great investment in the log splitter.
    Julie ((hugs)) glad the dermatologist was able to get you in overnight and didn’t try to put you off til January. Would a heated throw warm your chills?
    Pip :love: Yogi’s paw print ;)
    Rita :love: the pic of you with your new friend.
    Tracey your meme to Heather made me snort my cocoa! :laugh: :lol: :lauging:
    Sue your VW’s electrical system issue reminded me of when a friend cautioned me about my LandRover Freelander’s electrical systems. They were engineered/manufactured by Lucas Electrics, aka the Prince of Darkness. Some Lucas/Land Rover humor from various websites:
    Lucas the Prince of Darkness
    Not many people know that Land Rovers attempted to market a computer. Why did they stop? They could not find a way to get it to leak oil!
    A Land Rover doesn´t leak oil, it marks it´s territory. Did you hear about the man whose Land Rover didn't leak oil? The factory took it backand worked on it until it did.
    Did you hear the one about the guy that peeked into a Land Rover and asked the owner "How can you tell one switch from another at night? They all look the same. " - "He replied, "It does not matter which one you use, nothing happens !"
    The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."
    Lucas is the patent holder for the short circuit.
    Lucas - Inventor of the first intermittent wiper.
    Lucas - Inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.
    The three position Lucas switch - Dim, Flicker and Off.
    The Original Anti-Theft Device - Lucas Electrics.
    Lucas is an acronym for Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices
    Lucas systems actually uses AC current; it just has a random frequency.
    "I have had a Lucas pacemaker for years and have never had any trou..."
    If Lucas made guns, wars would not start.
    A friend of mine told everybody he never had any electric problems with his Lucas equipment. Today he lives in the countryside, in a large manor with lots of friendly servants around him an an occasional ice cold shower...
    Back in the 70's, Lucas decided to diversify its product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners. It was the only product they offered which did not suck.
    Q: Why do the British drink warm beer? A: Because Lucas makes their refrigerators
    Alexander Graham Bell invented the Telephone.Thomas Edison invented the Light Bulb. Joseph Lucas invented the Short Circuit.
    Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: Check the position of the stars,kill a chicken and walk three times clockwise around your car chanting:" Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant.."
    How to make AIDS disappear? Give it a Lucas parts number.
    And finally, for Sue in WA @skuehn48:
    Lucas won over Bosch to supply electrics for the new Volkswagens, so cars from the Black Forest have electrical systems from the Prince of Darkness.
    Nonetheless, I still miss my litte Freelander and regret giving her up.

Enjoyed a good walk and chat with T and Shadow. Grateful we got out before the chilly wind came up.

Joe’s up so it its shift change time, time for me to turn in.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    October: leaner/stronger/kinder than September.
    daily: sit with Joe:7, weigh/wii: 7/1/15; steps>7228=7489 vits=7, log=7, CI<CO=7, CI<250<CO=5, Tumble=7, Shadow=9, mfp=7, outside=9, up hill=8, clean 10=13.
    wkly: Sun:P, Y or W=1 , Mon:SWSY=.67 , Tue:LD=1 , Wed:TC=.67 , PW=1, Thurs: BB&B=1, Fri:TC=, Sat:PW=1, rX x4=1.
    wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/30:141.5 5/31:142.4 6/30:141.5 7/31:140.2 8/31:140.0 9/30:141.2 10/3:141.3 10/10: 10/17: 10/24: 10/31:
    mnthly: board mtg= , grant=, plan=, waist=42.
    bonus: AF=5, play= sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,895 Member
    Options
    My parents are both 80.
    They happily are living in a 55+ community. They have had some health issues - my father has had a heart attack, my mother has fibromyalgia. But they keep active - my father rides his bicycle outside and walks, my mother rides a recumbent bike inside. And they try to eat decently - neither was particularly overweight but they've both lost weight over the past year, deliberately. They don't drink or smoke.

At some point, we would like to move into that 55+ community or another in the area so that I could just keep an eye on them in case.

At some point, my mother would like to move into an assisted living home. My father is less keen now, but as he ages, he might become more enthusiastic. My mother likes the idea of having no yard to take care of, the option of dinner prepared each evening in the dining area, and several services (like hairdresser, gift shop, etc.) all in the building.

I almost feel ready for an assisted living home!! :lol: Maybe not quite yet, but at least that 55+ community where there is less yard work, where everything is at one level, etc. My plan is that the next place we move will be like that.

My family and I have no plans to stay in our own homes till the end ... 55+ then assisted living then complete care etc.

We don't enjoy maintaining a house that much ... there are other more interesting things to do like cycling, travel, etc. :)

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,895 Member
    Options
    Getting to know you question ...

What’s your favourite quote from a TV show/movie/book?

From the The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

Evelyn : Nothing here has worked out quite as I expected.

Muriel : Most things don't. But sometimes what happens instead is the good stuff.

Evelyn: The only real failure is the failure to try. And the measure of success is how we cope with disappointment. As we always must. We came here, and we tried. All of us, in our different ways. Can we be blamed for feeling we're too old to change? Too scared of disappointment to start it all again? We get up every morning, we do our best. Nothing else matters.

Evelyn: But it's also true that the person who risks nothing, does nothing; has nothing. All we know about the future is that it will be different. But, perhaps what we fear is that it will be the same. So, we must celebrate the changes. Because, as someone once said "Everything will be all right in the end. And if it's not all right, then trust me, it's not yet the end."

Machka in Oz
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    TERRI and BARBARA thanks for your understanding and compassion!

BARBARA I guess T and shadow are your walking partners but they are not quite so strict with a firm schedule I imagine.

TERRI your mom sounds bi-polar (wicked witch and sweetness and light). Yes I think women of that period were aware enough to know that things were not right but not able to do much yet. I find the present rampant gendre discrimination (non-equality for women) really upsetting often enough. it must have been just unbearable 50 years back or so.

ASSISTED LIVING
    my father's cousin very sharp moved into very upscale assisted living a couple of years ago with her spouse. I think she felt a bit mixed about it but liked it and her spouse LOVED it apparently, having the meals together with others - increased sociability at home and scheduled activities- they had their own kitchenette but that they never used... They loved their home before but she was still working (even at assisted living a bit- online therapy - just a few hours a week ) whereas he had retreated more from professional world (and thus from the world) for a few years. My mom was in a group home 6 elderlies with a family. it LOOKED nice but was not great. the couple just didn't have time for more than the basics (body care, food) and so it was very unstimulating. Mom later went to a nursing home which was MUCH LESS PRETTY BUT MUSCH BETTER she had all her mind and connected well with this social worker, that nurse's aid, this nurse's aid who would taker her onto the terrasse to read (possibly activist or edgy) poetry for my mother...etc. I bet they both loved that. She took classes in communication, and thus had taken up writing a letter to another sister with whom she had less of a link, and so on!

FAMILY CARE
    my mom had a major thing when she was 55 and me about 21 so I came back from very far away (9h plane) to be rounder her for a couple of years- I did her food shopping, took her to buy her clothes, her car, etc, and visited her about 2x a week and would take her out - but not body care. Then my brother later would go clean her new place about 1x every 3 weeks- it was so disgusting -- I went with him once. She would leave Molly things around - sometimes intentionally thinking growing mold was a good thing (see: pennacilln) and her "inner voice told her not to flush the toilet." for weeks. then my older sister took her in for 4 years. this older sister was living on less than a shoestring with 3 teens and virtually no money (artist husband and she had part time labor job in rural place - all by choice) so my mom's modest pension was a boon and permitted them to buy cheap pretty rural land and build a small a home in rural rural place.
    Last 4 years she was in a nursing home and I Called her every week. I was the only one who called her, strangely out of 5 kids. The sister who live nearby would visit her a few times a year. less than 1x a month for sure. I would visit when I came to the country but not more than 1x a year, unfortunately.

Dad was married to 2nd wife 15 years younger - she was not in great shape but better than him. She also had one daughter who was a nurse practitioner and quite a attached to my dad. they were doing fine financially and the last 2 years of his life they (or my step mother) hired a guy to work under the table at about 10 dollars an hours - to sleep in twin bed maybe in same room or just nearby- I think at first just evenings but towards the end he was there most of the time. And I would call but his spouse seemed jealous when I called, seemed uncomfortable if he talked to me. so I only called occasionally.

So I had just a share in parent care.

Also have a sister who has been disabled since she was a teen, and have participated in her care and finding her care, notably a few years ago when she had major cancer, but that's for another time.