WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2021

Options

Replies

• lisatryharder
    lisatryharder Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi thought id just join here scale this morning (bit of a yo yo but trying )not been on for ages due to moving (MAY no excuse), family problems etc almost having a breakdown due to anxiety .. fresh this morning happy to embrace my 50's i;m 51 ,orginally lost 15 pounds before we moved , put back on 7 lbs . Happy OCTOBER
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,922 Member
    Options
    China - I was started on a set at 18 like my mother had been and grandmother had been and so on and so on. I got most the set by my wedding. Then I got about half a set from my grandmother.

People aren't interested in china anymore because minimalism is popular, people are living in smaller places, people aren't having dinner parties, and china is difficult to maintain (handwashing and careful storage instead of dishwasher and stacking it into the usual cupboard).

At one point I thought I might sell it all, but I can't now because it's so cheap. So I've got it in a display cabinet, like art.

I've also got a whole bunch of crystal. I'm not that keen on crystal but way, way back when I said, "thank you, I love it" to someone, and then I got crystal for every birthday, Christmas, etc. etc. for years.

Hamburger Helper - never tried it.

Mothers & Growing Up - my mother was a nurse. She explained everything in detail, medically!

She also sold Avon, and has always been the type to be "done" (dressed to the nines) if she was going to set foot outside. So when I hit 12, I was in makeup, earrings and dressed up for school. That was a bit of a mistake - my schools weren't dress up places so I spent a few years trying to reign her in and let me choose more school appropriate clothing.

Also, I've always been a bit more of a tomboy.

M in Oz
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Heather, I'm sorry about your leg ailment. il like the picture of the women. It reminds me of a moment in Greece about 8 years ago. I tend to go for a dip just at sunset and sunrise. not a ton of people go at that time but at this one place near a small city somewhere in Greece (can't recall just where) I group of about half a dozen women say ages 70 to 80 or so, were there for what looked very much like a day short dip in a circle chatting in the water. (warm in Greece). They have a park run every week? that's fun and motivating. we have lovely weather here too.

Terri I don't remember Jackie but I did have a subscription to some teen magazine for at least 1 year and then I probably moved onto what ever women's magazines there were. I remember Cosmopolitan was considered borderline scandalous at the time. :D Those were our internet for pop society I guess! :D

My Grandmother lived in the city an us in the burbs. if I remember correctly my dad would drop me off at her place for a day on his way to work and pick me up on the way home something between 1 and 3 times a year. it must have been during school vacations. She would take just one of us at a time, since their place was a tiny 1br with small kitchen. We would always make shaped sugar cookies. I don't really make them any more but when I did I always felt her presence in my gestures. That and they would take us to the beach and the nearby tiny amusement part 1-3 x a year as my mom found it too stressful to watch us 5 at the beach- (afraid of undertow - real risk - losing a kid and keeping an eye on us). She died when I was 12 so I don't have a massive amount of memories of her other than those and a few other bits. An out conversation here or there, her coming for xmas and thanksgiving meal...
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    China/chystal
    None here!
    I think most people get it for weddings or passed down.
  • Machka9
    Options
    A day for at least one person here (not me!) ...

National Moldy Cheese Day – October 9, 2021
    https://happydays365.org/national-moldy-cheese-day/national-moldy-cheese-day-october/
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,723 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    China- lord when I was a senior in high school a door to door salesman was out in our neck of the woods, and talked me into getting a starter set and pots and pans.. where is that China now..in a box buried in my storage area here at the condo,i tried selling it nobody interested..
    And women issues thats another story.. my mom was a strict Catholic and didnt tell me a thing my parents had me taken out of sex ed classes and my mom never told me anything so when i did get my period I freaked out I think I was 14.. and then she still didnt really tell me anything just took me to the store and got me pads..
    So there is that.. I didnt sleep very well to much running through my mind getting ready for my trip.. trying to figure out what to pack is the most worrisome..the day I travel down will be the warmest and will get cooler from there but all i am taking is a small carry on and a hand held bag. My cpap is going to take up most of that and i dont really want to to pay to check luggage for a 5 day trip
  • Machka9
    Options
    I have just recently discovered one thing about fine china ... we bought a pair of fine china cups with cats on them because ... cats! My first thought was to put them in the china cabinet but my husband wanted to use them.

We made tea and WOW! There was just something about drinking tea from a fine china cup that seemed to make the tea taste so much better. I don't know why - if you google it, there are explanations. I realised someone had given me a different fine china cup with cats on it for Christmas one year, so I pulled it out and I often have my evening tea in it now.

So I'm tempted to use some of Royal Albert - Tranquility tea and coffee cups.

d86bv5lxd9lf.png
    cit6swamujpe.png

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    With Canadian Thanksgiving on this weekend .... another getting to know you question:

Name at least three things you are thankful for.

Family - husband & Rhody & extended family
    The place we live - both house and state
    Time off work
    Ability to be active

M in Oz
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,409 Member
    Options
    Hi thought id just join here scale this morning (bit of a yo yo but trying )not been on for ages due to moving (MAY no excuse), family problems etc almost having a breakdown due to anxiety .. fresh this morning happy to embrace my 50's i;m 51 ,orginally lost 15 pounds before we moved , put back on 7 lbs . Happy OCTOBER

Hi @lisatryharder from another Lisa. By posting, you've joined, please feel free to drop into any conversation, no need to answer them all, it's a fast moving bunch! If you let us know vaguely where you are, it will help people keep the two of us straight--you just add that to your signature, and you're ready to get and give any support you need.

Welcome!
    Lisa in Arkansas
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,572 Member
    Options
    Morning peeps- yesterday I did another 5mile each of walk spin and run. Ran faster, more close to my normal speed on the run. first time was a 10.10 minute mile, yesterday was a 9.49 minute mile, felt good about that
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,409 Member
    Options
    Puberty/etc.
    On being taught the ways of women, yeah my Mama wasn't into that, and it never occurred to her that I might need some advanced warning. So when I freaked out over my first period, she handed me a pad and a booklet that I think was written in the 50s and walked back out. I'm pretty sure we never spoke about any of that, but there were always pads available. She still hadn't reached menopause yet, so was still using them. Does anyone else remember the belt you had to wear to keep them in place so that the material of the pad on each end was clipped onto the belt?

Tampons, on the other hand, I learned about from the first guy I lived with back in 1978... He taught me how to use them. There were many unexpected kindnesses from him, but he was a raging alcoholic - and as an 18-year-old, dealing with a man who was a jealous, violent and vicious drunk wasn't in my repertoire. He was the one who broke my nose when I left him in Albuquerque.

China/crystal/etc.
    I find it fascinating that so many of you have received handed-down items from your parents and grandparents. When I was growing up, we ate off of melamine, a type of plastic ware, not exactly worth putting it in anyone's will. After I married, I began a Swarovski collection of their animals, but eventually ended up selling them all--and I know y'all are talking about crystal as in wine glasses, but never had any. Still have the Corelle I purchased in Montana nearly forty years ago. I hated stoneware plates, and love Corelle. Don't imagine there will be anyone fighting over it after I shuffle off this mortal coil, however.

What I'm grateful for
    • My current and final husband.
    • The amazing son and daughter that he brought with him--I was told I'd never have kids by the docs when I was 25, but these two wonderful people call me Mom, and my daughter's babies call me Gramily. Doesn't get much better than that.
    • This place we found to make our own more every year.
    • Y'all. You are a large part of my life, and I'm very grateful for all of you.

Later, y'all,
    Love, Lisa in AR
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    <3
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I have just recently discovered one thing about fine china ... we bought a pair of fine china cups with cats on them because ... cats! My first thought was to put them in the china cabinet but my husband wanted to use them.

We made tea and WOW! There was just something about drinking tea from a fine china cup that seemed to make the tea taste so much better. I don't know why - if you google it, there are explanations. I realised someone had given me a different fine china cup with cats on it for Christmas one year, so I pulled it out and I often have my evening tea in it now.

So I'm tempted to use some of Royal Albert - Tranquility tea and coffee cups.

d86bv5lxd9lf.png
    cit6swamujpe.png

M in Oz

I would definitely use the teacups in day to day after a certain point. especially if one doesn't have many or any "fancy" meals with company.
    that means that some may eventually break..but why not enjoy them if the tea tastes better in them!

Annie and Lisa, I can't imagine not knowing about period...though I was vaguely aware of mother's period plus 2older sisters, but must of all, friends in jr high school. accidents were not totally unheard-of. not quite prepared or something wearing sweaters around waste to cover - I once had to go home since I had a period accident at school. I was not the only one. I think in early days we were less prepared and probably the pads etc, were less reliable. (they didn't have "wings" and so on. And you couldn't even go to the bathroom when you wanted, there wasn't always time in the 3 to 4 minutes between classes to go from A building 4th floor to D building ground floor and go the ladies'... then you had to ask permission to go, but didn't want to do that too often or teachers would think you were going for a smoke in the bathroom (which you might conceivably be doing too - I don't remember much of that but do remember at least once or twice taking a drag of a shared cigarette in the bathroom - think there was something appealing about transgressing the grown ups rules - we were allowed to smoke outside back then as a young teen I think but not 'really' allowed to buy cigarettes nor smoke at school. though I think back then buying them was not a real problem.)

Lisa I was post-belt, thank goodness but I did see those machines in the girls room in high school. I don't know that anyone used them.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Pfizer third vaccinations today. We’re getting ready to fly to Virginia to spend time with our son’s family. They are expecting baby #2. Once we get there we will spend some time in quarantine to be sure we haven’t caught anything on our flight. I hope we’ll get to have some family time. I look forward to grandson time & meeting the new baby. :heart:
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,758 Member
    Options
    Machka - you colouring is beautiful.

We are not celebrating Thanksgiving this year. Last Thanksgiving was the last time the whole family was together for a sit down meal.
    We are under the two household rule again here in Alberta. NB has restricted all in home celebrations, you can go to the restaurants with your families though if you provide proof of vaccinations.

I am thankful for my:
    Family
    Health
    Income

My Mom’s nursing home has a Covid case. Mom is vaccinated and I hope that they stopped it quick enough. Worrisome just the same.

Lisa - I had an Aunt that collected the Swarovski figures. I always loved and admired them.
    I have had three sets of Corelle in our marriage. One set I was given when we lived in NB, I gave it to my SIL when we moved here. I then had a set here until 2013 when I saw a stoneware set I liked. I gave that set to my friends sister that had just moved to Alberta. 2 years ago I asked for another Corelle set. This will be it. I love the weight of the Corelle and how they stack in the cupboard. I have told my family to remind me of my decision if I ever decide that I like stoneware again at some point.

It is a long weekend and I have no real plans except tomorrow our youngest daughter is coming to craft with me for the day. I need to go buy some groceries and such today.

Tracey in Edmonton

• bananasandoranges
    Options
    I am so physically tired!
    I let housework go more than average last week because I was kind of very upset about the episode with F. So I got a weekend behind so to speak. I used to do about 1h per day -tidying cleaning, sorting, if time left, paperwork, and food prep, etc. They kept the home in good shape. Now when I try to do that I rarely can make it through the hour without feeling exhausted.
    I went for 50 minutes today but was exhausted.

I do think it's underlying health things and not emotional, because for about 55 years of life I have found tidying and moving uplifting (which is still is- at least to see the results). there is no reason that It would suddenly cause psychosomatic fatigue (rather than real physical fatigue!)

I think it's awesome that some of you can run 5k often and so on. I was quite able to about 5 years or so ago.

For most of my life I have been highly active physically. (sports addict some had said!)

Now I have to take things a bit more modestly.
    Having lower limb issues reduces quick easy activity options (walk out the door and go walking, running, biking).
    (1) wierd foot thing - undiagnosed but might be Morton's neuroma (I got an IRM a few years back for what very much seemed to be that, but the IRM guy said that he couldn't see it but I could have had a very early version of it. ) I tend to avoid very light shoes (flip flops, etc) much.
    (2) torn meniscus - as long as I don't push it it doesn't bother me much. slight dull feeling sometimes with activity (walking or recumbent)

I could possibly get a rowing machine but there you bend knees repeatedly too, so I'm not sure if I'd be Scott free...

The concern is that I also have to work on my writing but feel so wiped after just 50 min of cleaning. Well I'll keep plodding along as I can

I haven't found a good renter for my studio apartment yet. I let it go again and now it's empty.
    ideal would have been to start showing it 2 weeks prior to renter departure. I made the same mistake pre-confinement 1 and so the place was empty for months! not a good choice!

The sofa bed is spent so I had to order I new one.
    It's coming a week from Sunday (they tell you it's coming on such and such a day but don't give you the 2 hour time frame till the night before). The guy who just moved out didn't clean very well, (not horrible but needs another wipe here and there for some levels of cleanness), and lost all the keys (at his parents he said- he lost them and couldn't find them). He had to change the have a locksmith change the lower lock, and in fact it doesn't work (long story) so I have to find someone to fix it again. And he put blu-tack on the walls which made the paint come off in a lot of places, so the walls don't are showing some bits of paint coming off, and somewhere else it's not great. I redid the place nearly 100% in 2013 when I purchased it. I had gross thick wall-papery-textury thing removed, and paint done, new kitchenette, electricity all redone, bathroom was okay, and kept hardwood floors and had it resanded and a few other bits done. After resending the floor had a bit of a Gray-brown patina in some bits, but polished, and really looked okay to start. but the 2nd renter, around 2014 had washing machine overflow - t least once -and it really messed up, removed the varnish-varnish buckled - and of course it's been going downhill since. (I charged a few hundred but probably should have charged more. She and her mom were so litigious (she was an 18 year old pre-law student - never again! ))The walls you have to look closely to see the problems - the floors however don't look great. I won't redo them just now but it's on my list. I had thought of having them resanded again but they are like 50 years old and pocked and thin so a redo is pricey - but much less dusty - and more a permanent fix. It was a friend who's a professional painter who sanded them and I remember he was hesitant to do it- so it's concievable he did a cr** job. Lots of people say to get linoleum/plastic fake wood is the way to go for rental things - since maintenance is often not up to stuff- but I feel better getting real wood still -even if it's pricier. Rent is firmly fixed here per Sq meter since 2013 so unfortunately it's not worthwhile financially to invest in fixing places up nicer (which is what I did in 2010 prior to strict rental laws - reducing rates!) I should also have a washing machine installation pipes (not the washer but the evacuation etc. as the lack of that is a sticking point for some). which will be another 2 or 3 hundred at least to have the plug and pipes put in.

It's lovely otherswise. It looks onto a quiet garden, and has a huge wall-wide window. There's an inner courtyard with garden and benches that is rare and lovely. And there is a couple who are full-time concierge (or shared concierge job). nice elevator, quiet building, and a good sized clean dry storage place in the cellar accessible by elevator. All plusses. The size is quite fine for student or young professional, with central heating and hot water included. Apparently the price is really quite fair - not high.

I have not been really available to find a renter- I hoped doing it mostly by mail and appointments would do the trick but not so so far.
    Surely answering the phone will be more appealing for the potential renter, but I just am not really available right now. Maybe in 10 days if it's still available.
    I also ordered a purple wallet on Amazon. Mine is warn out. how long to you keep your wallet. I always expect them to keep nice for an eternity but after a while they get to looking too worn out.

• bananasandoranges
    Options
    thankful for countless things I've listed many times.

right at this very moment i'm thankful for

sun - that it's a blue sky sunny day
    café (people that run it go there atmosphere)
    washing machine - replaced this year and it works so well - just finished a load that I need to empty!
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,056 Member
    Options
    Hmm my dishes have been in storage for five years now and I can't remember them! Probably stoneware, probably blue, but I can't picture them. So bizarre.

Annie in Delaware