WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2021

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,363 Member
    Options
    Allie - There are loads of renal diet cookbooks on Amazon. Some will be available on Kindle for immediate access. Pasta with vegetables looks like a good start! That's what I had tonight. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 2hrs 38min 10sec, 3.07ap, 111elev, 83ahr, 101mhr, 8.12mi= 694c
    Strava app = 981c
    Zwift home bike trainer- 18.11min, 66elev, 106aw, 71arpm, 121ahr, 151mhr, 5.57mi= 168c
    Zwift app = 111c

No running today

Total cal 881
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Thank you for the support & concern about my arm. The doctor removed the worrisome lesion and I am good to go. 😇

Glad to hear
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,811 Member
    Options
    Machka - beautiful photos!

Barbara- is that like an apple juice?

Rebecca - isn’t it disappointing when something doesn’t taste like it used to? I used to love chicken noodle and chicken with rice from Campbells, but something changed a couple years ago and I don’t like it now.

Beth - I grew up similar to you. I am very fussy and don’t really try anything new. I don’t use any spices or herbs.

Carol - I wonder if that is a personal choice. I think if I went somewhere like that after I was supposed to be retired. I would like the simplicity of carts rather than dealing with rude customers.

Katla - so happy you are good to go.

I had a miserable day at work. I hope tomorrow is better.

I have ceramics tonight, I’m tired but good money was spent on this so I’ll go.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    <3
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Today I did get to the gym and did a Body Pump DVD. Soup kitchen tomorrow.

Started putting out the “fence” for Halloween, then decided which lights we’d use outside and which inflatables we’ll use. Then took a walk

Tracey – you have ever right to be proud of your SIL. I’m so sorry you had a bad day at work

Vicki – that must be pretty scary about dh for you. Glad to hear the new person is working out. That takes some of the load off you

Vince’s mother’s idea of spices were salt, pepper and ketchup. As a result, he won’t (or at least he SAYS he won’t) eat spices. Do I cook without them? Nope.

Debbie – thanks for the reminder. I haven’t made zucchini bread in a long time, either. I make this chocolate zucchini bread and tell Vince it’s a chocolate bread. He wouldn’t eat it if he knew there was zucchini in it. So therefore I don’t tell him. He eats the entire loaf of bread….lol

Michele NC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,096 Member
    Options
    They said the air intake needed cleaning out. I wonder if fender bender knocked some of the dirt loose. The repair was minor from what I thought it could be. I was able to drive down to visit son for dinner. The trees were wonderful so it made for a nice break. Drew loves our son so it was a fun evening for all.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :) Big windstorm today resulted in lots of debris on the ground and no cable tv or internet for about eight hours...definitely a first world problem but changed a lot of what I normally do with my day. The dogs were distressed by the wind and spent a lot of time sitting next to me.

:)Allie, the internet is your friend in seeking a healthy eating plan.

:)Katla, glad your journey to the doctor in Portland worked out for you.

:)spices, I don't cook much but I use garlic when I do. We planted elephant garlic bulbs so we'll have fresh garlic for cooking next summer. I don't add salt to anything.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

• pipcd34
    Options
    Eeeee
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Doctor visit was okay. Finding yhe doctor office was a challenge but all turned out oksy,

Katls
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,192 Member
    Options
    We no longer have to wear face masks and Tassie's borders are scheduled to open on December 15.
    "From December 15, with a 90 per cent vaccination rate of those aged over 12, anyone can enter Tasmania without a need for quarantine as long as they are fully vaccinated.

Interstate and international arrivals will need to provide a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours of travel, but returning Tasmanians will not need a test if they are returning from a trip shorter than seven days."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-22/tasmania-covid-border-plan-reopening-december-vaccination/100558954

This means that if we want a quiet holiday/long weekend somewhere, we'd better book it between now and Dec 15.

M in Oz
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: take BP, dogs to powerline, practice WBW, DM, SWTD, SL, learned the rest of GDLL, made up yesterday’s T’ai Chi, BB&B.
    Bonus: 30 mins grooming Tumble, 10 mins vacuuming, reconciled and paid one credit card statement.
    Just one thing: delivered cider to T, C, D, L, De and J yesterday. Cleared space in the fridge.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, RiteAid for booster, Freddie’s for rx, T’ai Chi, make up Tuesday’s line dancing, practice WBW, DM, SWTD, SL, GDLL, backup files, then call pc guy to schedule tuneup, fill in booster vaccine form with Joe, text C, make up Saturday’s pack walk, fire district: board meeting minutes, research district tax exemption for volunteer firefighters, AFG grant requirements including NIMS, call NFPA cancel inactive accounts, clarify benefits included in annual dues, input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS, index mutual aid files and share with L; start Part D research with new rx info, watch STAS Day 20, declutter sideboard, learn new dances (Tequila Little Time, Homesick, Nothing but You, A Little Less Broken, Blame it on my beating heart, Do Your Thing, practice dances: All Night, TGIF, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove, ask Te about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Sunday: call S, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this fall’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers and beit alpha cukes next year).
    Reminder: Weekly: Mon=15 mins SWSY. Tues=30 mins line dance at home. Wed=30 mins T’ai Chi & 1 hr pack walk. Thurs=15 mins BB&B. Fri=30 mins T’ai Chi. Sat=1 hr pack walk. Sun=15 mins pilates, yoga or wii balance games.
    October
    21: Let go of the expectations of others and focus on what matters to you: dog group instead of BGBS.
    22: Share a hopeful quote, picture or video with a friend or colleague: this is a hard one. T is worried about my booster choice, sent a video with love and prayer. Tried to respond likewise.

Short on steps and energy. YouTube bagpipe massed bands to the rescue. 55 minutes counting as today’s half hour of Line Dancing ;)

Machka I’ve heard that thymol (a component of Oregano) has demonstrated some anti-viral properties as well. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7571078/https://www.researchgate.net/publication/256932459_Antiviral_and_antimicrobial_activity_of_Thymus_transcaspicus_essential_oil
    KJ I do want to be one of your kiddos, but not sure about the googly eyes in slime…
    Heather good idea to “sleep” on the format problem. Is there a FAQ or support board you can search for help?
    Vicki I do not like the medical provider’s “if they don’t call its ok” attitude. Insufficient information. Insufficient followup.
    Glad your DH is getting a monitor, really glad you’re getting some good help at work.
    Pip 3500? Bravisima!
    Margaret glad no serious injury or repairs being rear-ended.
    Debbie does your DH take the lozenges for pain? A half gallon of half and half? WOW!
    Rebecca I too was disappointed in my last tomato soup/sandwich lunch, it came out too “white.” Back to good ol’ Campbell’s condensed. Beautiful turnovers, I couldn’t have them here, we’d eat them all at once.
    Beth smoked paprika, yes! Gently, gradually (takes a loooong time) heat to 175F and hold it there for 15 seconds. Pastor read on the internet that boiling it would cause the pectin to break down, whatever that means ;) Will look for dried green peas at Freddie’s for you tomorrow.
    Allie could your kidney doctor recommend a nutritionist to work with? What Kim and Beth said about making it a game.
    Carol sometimes I’m sad when I see elders working at “menial” tasks. Then I remember how lonely Mama was and how she would have loved to have been of service to, and with people. Maybe it isn’t so sad after all?
    Katla my dermatologist recommends good old fashioned pure Vaseline Petroleum Jelly for wherever she’s dug… Hope the traffic and parking weren’t as bad as you expected.
    Tracey yes apple juice. Not sure why in the US we call it cider, or sweet cider, when we press it and juice when we buy it at the grocer’s. This is not the alcohol containing hard cider that other English speaking peoples mean when they say “cider.” Ain’t communication grand?

Booster tomorrow morning. Will lidocaine both arms and hope for the best. ;)

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    October: leaner/stronger/kinder than September.
    daily: sit with Joe:21, weigh/wii: 12/3/46; steps>7228=5102 vits=21, log=21, CI<CO=21, CI<250<CO=17, Tumble=19, Shadow=19, mfp=21, outside=24, up hill=20, clean 10=16.
    wkly: Sun:P, Y or W=3, Mon:SWSY=3 , Tue:LD=3 , Wed:TC=1.87 , PW=2, Thurs: BB&B=3.2, Fri:TC=2.77, Sat:PW=3, rX x4=3.
    wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/30:141.5 5/31:142.4 6/30:141.5 7/31:140.2 8/31:140.0 9/30:141.2 10/3:141.3 10/10:141.8 10/17:141.8 :astonished: 10/24: 10/31:
    mnthly: board mtg=1 , grant=2, plan=, waist=42.
    bonus: AF=13, play=46 sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    DH & I wore masks to the doctor appointment yesterday afternoon. The doctor & his staff were also masked. The doctor removed a small spot on my left lower arm & sent it for testing. I won’t know the results until test results come back sometime between 5 to 14 days. :ohwell:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Picking Dan up this morning and bringing himnto work,but first taking him to the new Dairy Queen that opened,it was across the street in a strip mall,but now they have there own stand alone building and he has been waiting.. also will do some laundry for him..
    He is working 1-5 today but I dont mind taking him every once in awhile,at least i get to see him.
    Worked a little on the baby blanket ,slow but sure im getting the hang of it lol
    Will print out a list of low phosphorus foods and work with that,but alot of them arent what you call weight friendly.. when i go in November will speak with the nutritionists about a renal diet
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Barbara -
    I could eat more garlic, I like it but don't think of it much ! haha ! I think cilantro seeds does taste like soap but I find the leaves quite tasty (and not soapy to me) condiments are great and zero-ish calories in. thanks for the pages encouragesmnets (encouragement in this area needed alway needed) I can't really remember what mace tastes like...

Machka I never eat oregano have only had in it pizza int he old days I think! nice smiley pictureeç

Heather do you have a young-en who can help you?

Beth I don't know farro ! I like mint and basil! I have never heard of smoked paprika ! I'm curious. that freshness of parsley - agreed fresh is something !

Debbie : I like sage and cinnamon too - I use the later sparingly -it has such a dominating floor!

Rebecca congratulations on the SV!

Allie - fruits, veggies, grains, beans etc. I think so many of us are coing more and more in that direction for health reasons. dairy makes me sneeze almost right away at best! we're all advised to not eat much meat now... Like Kim don't know about phosphateerous ! I agree with Kim I would make it a game. That's what I do being 100% GF and pretty much dairy free.

Katla glad your worries are eased and you are feeling well an safe.

Tracey how was ceramics, I hope today is a good one. sorry about yesterday at work.

Michèle ha ha for the secret spices!

SPICES - l like many now. as a kid we also had canned soup etc, not even pepper! only rarely paprika ---- and cinnamon toast and nutmeg for apple pie or spice cake.
    my dad was anti-spice - and anything but processed unflavoured canned food almost - (but with lots of salt) so that's how we ate in my family -- but as an adult I discovered spices and I like many. I also enjoy curry spices...
  • Machka9
    Options
    I tried to upload my book. Went well, though I was in a complete state trying to decide on cover design, colours etc. All good until I looked at the first few pages in the Preview. Horrible mess up. Soooo..... I am in a panic and ....... AARRGGHHH!
    I know there us a fix, somewhere, but I couldn’t find it in my panic, so I've closed it all down and need to calm down a bit.
    DH is no use because his book was not right, and neither were his previous ones. I will have to soldier on alone.
    I think I will leave it until tomorrow morning, but whether I will sleep tonight is another matter. :o
    I think most of it is OK, it's just the front few pages seem to have slipped and the first chapter doesn't start on the facing (odd) page. A poem has got split in two. Grrrr!
    As I've said before, I am not technical.
    I need to look at their templates, I think.

Heather, feeling befuddled in the UK, xxxxxxxx

Do they tell you a format your book needs to be loaded in?

For example, when I have loaded assignments or CVs to sites, they always tell me it has to be in the latest Word format or a pdf.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Allie - There are loads of renal diet cookbooks on Amazon. Some will be available on Kindle for immediate access. Pasta with vegetables looks like a good start! That's what I had tonight. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

So did I. Pasta and veg is one of my favourites.