Feeling Hungry? Drink Diet Coke

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    People are so judgmental!! She didn't say she was living off of diet coke. She said sometimes she has one at night if she's feeling hungry. Good grief! If you like the tip, good if you don't...then good. Don't do it.

"Good grief" is right. It's one thing to choose something for oneself. It is quite another to promote/advise it to others. Yes, I will be totally "judgemental" when someone recommends eating anything other than real food when one is hungry.

She's not telling you to do it! You are a big girl, make your own decisions. She's telling people what works for her. This place is supposed to be for helping each other, not tearing people to shreds. Some of you really should be ashamed.
    so when people post in a public forum a tip that we think is bunk, we should all just say "hooooray, great job! Such a great idea! sorry it does not work that way...

I'm sorry, but she does not need to be shredded for it. If you don't agree with it, move on. People are not going out in masses and buying up all the diet coke because of it. And nobody has saved a life here by getting on their high horses and pointing out how dumb it is. Seriously.

She's a big girl, she can take it. If not then she will just not post stupid topics like this in the future.

You may think it's stupid, but maybe I think some of *your* eating habits are stupid. I see you eat cottage cheese and also brown rice. Disgusting! Why would you eat that crap? Just stupid. I refuse to support a diet full of crap that I wouldn't eat! :angry:
    (That felt good to hear, didn't it? :wink:)

What the fu*k are you talking about, I've never eaten either of those things in my whole life...

I wasn't quoting you. :wink:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Don't you love seeing people order a Big Mac and fries then ask for a diet coke.

Not sure about diet stuff. To me it just tastes bad. Sweeteners whether they are bad for our bodies or not, just taste chemical.

I don't eat after 8 ish. I would say if you are getting hungry at night then keep some calories back from earlier in the day. It's got to be better than drinking caffeinated drinks late on in the day.

What's to love about it? I had sugar-free Red Bull this morning with my sugar-laden food. You will want to friend me right now. I do this type of thing often. :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    No thanks... I'll have my glass of sugar with a big plate of lard and a side of salt with extra salt.
  • Juanwi
    Juanwi Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It has 0 calories and you won't gain weight and it will fill you up. I stop eating at around 7pm and sometimes I am super hungry, so I don't want to ruin my diet by eating so late and adding more calories, so I have a can of diet coke (if I'm super hungry) or low calorie jelly.

There's a tip for you. :) Good luck!

Whats wrong with eating late at night. As long as it fits in your calories you are good. Meal timing and frequency have no impact on weight loss. Also, in some cases aspartame have been linked to increase hunger.. So thoughts on that?

ps- my preferred snack is a klondike bar.

I like your kind of snacking....
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    It has 0 calories and you won't gain weight and it will fill you up. I stop eating at around 7pm and sometimes I am super hungry, so I don't want to ruin my diet by eating so late and adding more calories, so I have a can of diet coke (if I'm super hungry) or low calorie jelly.

Maybe if you ate when you were hungry... Just a thought. Might be too logical though.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Don't you love seeing people order a Big Mac and fries then ask for a diet coke.

Not sure about diet stuff. To me it just tastes bad. Sweeteners whether they are bad for our bodies or not, just taste chemical.

I don't eat after 8 ish. I would say if you are getting hungry at night then keep some calories back from earlier in the day. It's got to be better than drinking caffeinated drinks late on in the day.

What's to love about it? I had sugar-free Red Bull this morning with my sugar-laden food. You will want to friend me right now. I do this type of thing often. :laugh: :flowerforyou:

What's wrong with someone saving 300 cals of soda when they eat McDonald's? Personally, I cannot stomach normal soda, far too rich for me.
  • klovold1983
    klovold1983 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    This wouldn't be a good tip for me.. I won't touch diet coke again after it gave me a serious delhi belly a few weeks back! Not to mention the caffeine aspect on it disturbing sleep. I think there are much better low cal ways to stave off a bit of hunger. And if you plan your meals well enough there's no need to end up hungry anyway..

I completely agree. Diet Coke, as with everything else, isn't bad in moderation. However, just cutting Diet Coke out of my diet made me drop 5 pounds. There's so many things in it that are bad for you! Ask your doctor their opinion on it, you'll get a mouthful.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but diet Coke is absolutely horrible for you. Excessive amounts can lead to kidney problems, rotting teeth, and obestity...yes. obesity.

If you're hungry, eat a healthy snack...hummus and fresh veggies. An apple with almond butter.

Sometimes hunger pangs is actually your body saying it's dehydrated. Have a big glass of water.

And if you are eating small meals every two hours you won't have a problem :)

Here's one link of MANY that shows just how bad it is for you.

http://healthyliving.msn.com/health-wellness/7-side-effects-of-drinking-diet-soda

Your suggested snacks are not low-calorie and can lead to mindless eating. Having a DC every now and then is not going to kill you.
  • PrayerOfHeart
    PrayerOfHeart Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Oh, the damage to the teeth is tremendous after a while! >_< Thank-you, but no thank-you!
  • Kickbox9Bitch
    Kickbox9Bitch Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I drank diet coke for years and due to the fear of ASPARTAME I quit for almost three years then, quit smoking as well. I also gained weight and ended up bigger than I ever have been. :( Did I go back to smoking? No.... but, I did go back to my diet coke. I eat clean and am full of energy and life feeling like my old self again. My only vice is my diet cokes. Yep.... :):blushing:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

What's wrong with someone saving 300 cals of soda when they eat McDonald's? Personally, I cannot stomach normal soda, far too rich for me.

Agreed! :drinker:
  • tifferz_91
    tifferz_91 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    hysterical-laugh_zps62172cfa.gif

Either that was a troll post or this has got to be one of the worst "advice" i've read on MFP so far.

You tried though!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,680 Member
    Options

You can eat after 7pm (since there is no meal timing evidence to support it hampers weight loss) if you have calories available. I'll usually eat till 11:30pm and add in a diet Pepsi for good measure.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,680 Member
    Options
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but diet Coke is absolutely horrible for you. Excessive amounts can lead to kidney problems, rotting teeth, and obestity...yes. obesity.
    While it's not the optimal choice, you'd have to define excessive. A couple of cans a day, or a case a day? And how does it lead to obesity if has no calories? Many correlate it with obese people drinking it as the cause which is incorrect.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Mitcher86
    Options
    It is with some hesistation that I jump into the artifical sweetener controversy. There are such strongly held opinions on both sides of the debate. From what I've seen of hard science there is probably low toxicity from the approved articial sweeteners for most people in low doses. However, that still doesn't mean they're optimal. My personal choice had been to gradually stop using them over a number of years. The most common form I used to use was Crystal Light mix and soda. Here's why I stopped

Well, the word "artificial". Why would I want to add a man made chemical to my bosy if I didn't have to? As I shifted my diet away from processed foods to whole foods it made less sense to use artifical sweeteners.

Maybe science hasn't recognized all the side effects yet. Wouldn't be the first time.

An issue for me was a craving for sweets. I suspected that eating artificial sweeteners only perpetuated that. It's worked out for me to miminized sweets in my diet. Now most desserts seem too sicky-sweet to me.

With regard to beverages, there are a lot of healthier alternatives than diet soda. Many have already been mentioned. Here's what I've been doing recently. I make up a half gallon of tea at a time. I usually use white tea and/or green tea and pu erh tea along with a cinammon stick or two and sometimes some sliced ginger. Sometimes I use tulsi as well (aka holy basil - a great ayurvedic herb). Obviously you can use whatever teas appeal to you.

I make a strong batch and keep it in the refrigerator. Pouring a glass is as easy as opening a soda and there's a lot more nutritional benefit.

I still have a diet soda from time to time, usually when I visiting someone and that's what they offer me. I have my preferences but I like to be easy about theml.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    While it's not the optimal choice, you'd have to define excessive. A couple of cans a day, or a case a day? And how does it lead to obesity if has no calories? Many correlate it with obese people drinking it as the cause which is incorrect.

IDEA Fitness member

dnevz4.png
  • lesinseattle
    lesinseattle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I drink Diet Rite sodas they have 0 calories, 0 sodium, 0 caffeine, taste ok too
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm doing it wrong drinking diet soda and most of my calories after 7pm... I'll return to the dumper from which I came. ..

f9drmq.gif