Feeling Hungry? Drink Diet Coke

Options
15678911»

Replies

• cacklingcat
    cacklingcat Posts: 150 Member
    Options

What's wrong with someone saving 300 cals of soda when they eat McDonald's? Personally, I cannot stomach normal soda, far too rich for me.

This ^ :happy:
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but diet Coke is absolutely horrible for you. Excessive amounts can lead to kidney problems, rotting teeth, and obestity...yes. obesity.
    While it's not the optimal choice, you'd have to define excessive. A couple of cans a day, or a case a day? And how does it lead to obesity if has no calories? Many correlate it with obese people drinking it as the cause which is incorrect.

Logic. What a concept.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    First reaction....Duh.
    Second reaction...that stuff is bad for you. If you like it, drink it....I do, sometimes. But it ain't no miracle drink.
  • akshngrl
    akshngrl Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Interesting post because I have found keeping some 0 calorie drinks on hand (I avoid caffeine at night, drink plenty during the day) can really help me get through when the night munchie urges hit. I get things like the 0 calorie vitamin water, cascade ice etc. when they are on sale and they always feel like a treat for me after the kids go to bed.

Eating after dinner is always a terrible idea for me, it always leads to overeating and going over my daily calorie goal.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm doing it wrong drinking diet soda and most of my calories after 7pm... I'll return to the dumper from which I came. ..

f9drmq.gif

Sorry, I couldn't pass this by. That is hilarious!
  • lauraf130490
    Options
    Some people really need to chill out, it's a glass of diet coke, it's not going to kill you. A lot of these "studies" are funded by companies with a vested interest in a certain outcome e.g. sugar manufacturers, are poorly run and have only found "links" between certain things such as diet drinks and obesity. One of the most basic scientific concepts is that correlation does not necessarily equal causation. Therefore, a study showing there is a link between obesity and diet coke does not prove in any way, shape or form that diet coke causes weight gain.

Also, it is perfectly natural to feel hungry sometimes when you're in a deficit of calories. Telling people to eat food every time they feel slightly hungry can be detrimental and is what causes weight gain for a lot of people in the first place.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but diet Coke is absolutely horrible for you. Excessive amounts can lead to kidney problems, rotting teeth, and obestity...yes. obesity.

If you're hungry, eat a healthy snack...hummus and fresh veggies. An apple with almond butter.

Sometimes hunger pangs is actually your body saying it's dehydrated. Have a big glass of water.

And if you are eating small meals every two hours you won't have a problem :)

Here's one link of MANY that shows just how bad it is for you.

http://healthyliving.msn.com/health-wellness/7-side-effects-of-drinking-diet-soda

I was wondering how long it was going to take before the scare tactics were going to surface in this thread.

Sorry if it was percieved as scary; I'd rather be informed than anything. But I did provide some better alternatives to drinking diet coke. Like healthy food. Water. :)

Scary or not, bad for you or not, that *kitten* (aspartame and most other artificial sweeteners, I mean) tastes pretty awful and makes my stomach hurt!
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    While it's not the optimal choice, you'd have to define excessive. A couple of cans a day, or a case a day? And how does it lead to obesity if has no calories? Many correlate it with obese people drinking it as the cause which is incorrect.

Logic. What a concept.

Not really. The body is a complicated machine and some chemicals cause reactions that may be counter-intuitive to what you'd "logically" think.

There may be no calories in diet sodas, but some studies claim aspartame can wreak havoc on certain body systems, or cause weight gain because ingesting it may cause you to eat more calories at future meals or crave more sweets, etc. This may indicate that whatever "filling" effect you get from these drinks is not only temporary, but undone at a later time.

http://blogs.plos.org/obesitypanacea/2010/10/12/aspartame-cause-of-or-solution-to-obesity/
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    It has 0 calories and you won't gain weight and it will fill you up. I stop eating at around 7pm and sometimes I am super hungry, so I don't want to ruin my diet by eating so late and adding more calories, so I have a can of diet coke (if I'm super hungry) or low calorie jelly.

There's a tip for you. :) Good luck!

Whats wrong with eating late at night. As long as it fits in your calories you are good. Meal timing and frequency have no impact on weight loss. Also, in some cases aspartame have been linked to increase hunger.. So thoughts on that?

ps- my preferred snack is a klondike bar.

I was craving ice cream one night at the grocery store...so off I go to the ice cream bar section. I am not sure why....I am not a big ice cream eater. However...

Weight Watchers has this candy bar...caramel...nuts...on top of this creamy ice cream...all covered with chocolate. It is now my bed time snack! I make sure I have enough calories left for it!
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I was drinking a 2-liter a day of diet pepsi for 25 years and now I'm water, green tea, vitamin water zero only and have a lot fewer cravings (for more pop and food). I am so glad to be off the stuff.
  • MrBryGuy
    MrBryGuy Posts: 115
    Options
    It has 0 calories and you won't gain weight and it will fill you up. I stop eating at around 7pm and sometimes I am super hungry, so I don't want to ruin my diet by eating so late and adding more calories, so I have a can of diet coke (if I'm super hungry) or low calorie jelly.

There's a tip for you. :) Good luck!

Whats wrong with eating late at night. As long as it fits in your calories you are good. Meal timing and frequency have no impact on weight loss. Also, in some cases aspartame have been linked to increase hunger.. So thoughts on that?

ps- my preferred snack is a klondike bar.

Agreed in that there's nothing wrong with eating late. As log as it's healthy and not something fatty.
  • mrsBrown1989
    Options

If you're hungry, eat a healthy snack...hummus and fresh veggies. An apple with almond butter.

Sometimes hunger pangs is actually your body saying it's dehydrated. Have a big glass of water.

http://healthyliving.msn.com/health-wellness/7-side-effects-of-drinking-diet-soda

AGREE!!!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,994 Member
    Options
    Meh, drinking diet coke in moderation is fine for most people and if a glass of it helps you stick to your calorie goal, that's good.
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options

I was wondering how long it was going to take before the scare tactics were going to surface in this thread.

Sorry if it was percieved as scary; I'd rather be informed than anything. But I did provide some better alternatives to drinking diet coke. Like healthy food. Water. :)

There's some *kitten* in water too. flouride, for example.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't like fizzy drinks other than carbonated water so have this with a slice of lime or lemon or just drink still water.

I snack on raw cauliflower and broccoli
    \

Coke > cauliflower
  • littlecrystal
    littlecrystal Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am not pro or anti Coke but I noticed that while I enjoy the taste, it gives me massive anxiety - probably due to caffeine, as well as cravings for more and for other junk food or drinks - probably due to aspartame? So I try to avoid altogether (I also stopped drinking caff coffee) and find that I am much calmer, anxiety is gone. I feel emotionally very balanced. If I allow myself a bottle of Coke, then I will want another on the next day and junk food to add.. so I'd better restrain myself.
  • TheFatOne1985
    Options
    This was the only comment I read that I could slightly agree with, soda is horrible for you and one of the first things that you should try to kick. Aspartame is awful stuff. So if you're trying to live healthier as well as lose weight, find a natural alternative. If you don't like plain water you can add citrus fruits, yum!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,994 Member
    Options
    This was the only comment I read that I could slightly agree with, soda is horrible for you and one of the first things that you should try to kick. Aspartame is awful stuff. So if you're trying to live healthier as well as lose weight, find a natural alternative. If you don't like plain water you can add citrus fruits, yum!

No,aspartame in moderation is fine for most people and not something horrible they have to kick.

If individuals find issues with cola, like jitteriness from the caffeine or other effects from the aspartame itself, sure, those individuals should avoid it, like any individuals should avoid any specific food which they react to.

But most people can be perfectly healthy and drink moderate amounts of regular or diet soft drinks, if they want to.