December 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    @SummerSkier You can definitely see your runs trending faster! Good work!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    "Keepin' it sleasy!"

12-1 7k slow
    12-2 7k slow
    12-3 7k slow
    12-4 7k sleasy
    12-5 7k slow
    12-6 7k slow
    12-7 7k slow
    12-8 7k sleasy
    12-9 7k slow
    12-10 7k sleasy
    12-11 7k slow
    12-12 7k sleasy
    12-13 7k slow
    12-14 7k sleasy
    12-15 7k slow
    12-16 7k easy
    12-17 7k sleasy
    12-18 5k treadmill

Don't Rest December Total: 124k
    Don't Rest December Goal: 180k

Rainy and mid 30s F today, so went to the treadmill. It will work out well, because my body thinks the treadmill is almost like a rest day.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2021 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

PUT THE FUN BACK IN THE RUN!
    Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs (second attempt)

2021 Races:

6/26 Direction Up 5k, Solon, OH 31:48 chip; 31:59 Garmin; 53d overall; 2d male 65 and over
    7/17 Run of the Ox 5k, Mantua, OH 32:19 Garmin; 44th overall; 3d place male 60 and over
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your half marathon a month streak @katharmonic!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,448 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic Great job on getting all your monthly HMs done for the year!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,114 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Sounds like you have a great relationship with your boss.

I vote for "keeping it sleasy as our motto too!

You're doing awesome @SummerSkier !

Nice running @Teresa502 . I was wondering if you ran in the rain this morning. Sorry about the car problems and that you are in a funk. Hope you feel better soon.

@noblsheep Nice running. Glad you listened to your body and shortened it instead of injuring yourself.

Congratulations @katharmonic ! That's a huge accomplishment.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic Great job on your 12th half!

Today was my first run since Tuesday either because of working late or sinus issues. I ran 6x 800m at 9:13-9:33 pace, 400m recovery. With warmup and cooldown, I ran 5 miles.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,448 Member
    Options
    Oh @quilteryoyo sooo sorry to hear the diagnosis of your back :'(
  • Tramboman
    Options
    @quilteryoyo Scoliosis was part of my diagnosis when I first went to my chiropractor back in May. He took X-rays before he started treatment (3x weekly), again at the 2 month point (2x treatment weekly), and again at the 6 month point, when I went down to 1 treatment weekly. My scoliosis improved throughout the treatment.
    I'm not sure if your chiro followed the same kind of protocols, and your scoliosis is a bit more than mine was. All I can offer is to take the time necessary to make a good decision, and follow through with the decision you make.
  • Tramboman
    Options
    Great half streak, @katharmonic !!!
  • quilteryoyo
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Thanks @Scott6255 and @Tramboman . My chiropractor did not take an x-ray to begin with and, frankly, I'm sort of shocked that he didn't realize I had the scoliosis. I am going to call him on Monday to let him know that the ortho guy said and see what his response is. Thanks for giving me hope that maybe, now that he knows, he can do something to help.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,909 Member
    Options
    damn. @quilteryoyo At least you have some idea what is going on. I think you need a new chiro if that is going to be your go to. On the Rx, he probably did not mean for you to take them straight for 45 days but gave you enough to cover you for several months or a year of outbreaks. I can't take muscle relaxers because like Rhedd I have no acls in either knee so they become very unstable if I take relaxers. Agree that almost all the orthos I have known totally think running is bad news. Yours might be in that category but hard to say. The other issue is when you get older they don't really want to fix you anymore - just give you something to deal with the pain and tell you to accept things.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo I would absolutely not make a decision about running before finding an ortho who is also a runner. Many old school orthos are very negative about running for reasons which aren’t necessarily valid according to more recent research. Mine told me never to run again because of my knees, which are problematic because I have no ACL, but otherwise mostly fine, and although I may yet be forced to stop for some reason, my knees aren’t it. A sports ortho told me the first ortho was being ridiculous and running and lifting were actually good for my knees.

Also, before freaking out too much about the scoliosis I do wonder what percentage of people have it and don’t realize.

Great advice @quilteryoyo. There is an orthopedic clinic in Kingsport that has a running ortho doctor. All my running friends go to him for ANY injury because they know that he gets it. PM me if you want his name and contact information.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone. @Teresa502 I will message you.