12/13 - 5.08
    12/14 - 5.02
    12/16 - 8.02
    12/17 - 5.02
    12/19 – 3.03
    12/20 – 4.04
    12/22 – 6.02

77.44 of 110 miles

@katharmonic as much as I love to run I do think there needs to be a carrot out there that you keep aiming for.

Congrats @kgirlhart that is a great accomplishment!!

We’d love to have you @shanaber hope you start feeling better, that doesn’t sound like a pleasant feeling

@polskagirl01 thanks for the pod cast recommendation. Such pretty pictures, even though I hate snow!

@summerSkier that is really weird. I know Strava tracks things different if you choose different modes like race vs workout. Great job reaching goal with so much time left in the month.

Got an email from the head dude of our organization today. If you agree not to take any vacation time from Monday until 29 Jan they will give you a $3,000 bonus. Ah sign me up! I’m so busy at work I don’t have time for any days off so I’m all about it. They know the revenue drops this time of year and they are trying to get as much money in as they can the last period. My friend said how about just give us the $3,000 if you have it to burn, truth there.

• martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,065 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Listened to a podcast that could start some interesting discussion here! The link I copied while running, before the podcast disappeared from my app, didn't work, so just go into your podcast player and find Trail Runner Nation episode 545 "Survey results are in! Mental health and running". I felt like this research was missing some major factors that affect the issue, but it's a great starting point. If anyone listens, share your thoughts!

I listened to the podcast then tracked down the thesis publication and read it. At the beginning of the podcast, the author and host discussed the jokes ultra endurance athletes make about having to be crazy to do this or how their exercise is therapy, etc. I found that interesting because I have definitely heard some of those same jokes. Both she and the host talked about having a very frank discussion but I could tell they were both really trying to tread lightly in some places so as not to upset listeners. They know their audience, and people don’t always like being confronted with problems in their sport.
    She didn’t go into a ton of detail on this but on reading the article, there was additional breakdown of the test population that really showed some stark differences in the extremes of ultra endurance training versus the average US population. The table below shows the percentage of respondents who were diagnosed with mental disorder prior to the study period stratified by hours of training per week. U 10 is under 10 hrs, 10- 20 hours, more than 20 hrs, all participants in the study, and last published data of USA population.

Table 1 Prior Diagnosis of Mental Disorder
    U 10 28.3%
    10-20. 38.9%
    >20. 56.7%
    All participants 37%
    USA. 20%

This trend of increasing prevalence was seen when broken down into individual diagnoses as well, including depression, anxiety, and several different types of eating disorders. Another thing I found interesting was that the female participants self-reported diagnoses at basically the same rate as the assessed risk based on the questionnaires but men were way off. Both men and women had a risk of about 46%, women reported diagnoses 46.9% and men 26.5%. That’s a huge disparity and really underlines how, at least in the US, men don’t seek mental health help as often as women and probably ignore some symptoms.

Also included superficially in the podcast and in a bit more detail in the article was risk of suicide or self-harm. The > 20 hour group responded with a non-zero number of thoughts of suicide or self harm in the last 2 weeks in 30%!! By comparison, the other 2 groups were in the 11-12% range.

The chicken vs egg conversation in the podcast was touched on some in the article as well. I thought the discussion was enlightening about this. Especially with substance abuse, how much exercise addiction is being substituted for other addictions? And given the differences in so many disorders in the >20 hour a week group, you have to wonder whether that level of training is maybe not good for people’s mental health or are people with very high rates of mental illness just attracted to the ultra endurance sports? One other thing the author mentioned in the article that I didn’t recall from the podcast was whether ultra endurance sport training allowed people with certain disorders like exercise bulimia, binge eating disorders, and other disordered eating to hide in plain sight. Were athletes with disordered eating using ultra endurance training as a cover to allow them to “carb-load” not binge, train for a race not exercise bulimia, etc. Definitely something to consider.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,973 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the thoughts about my back and the explanation of the diagnosis @martaindale . I wish I could get a digital copy of my x-ray to share, but haven't figured that out yet. The steroids seem to be working, as my back has been good for the last few days. I did stop taking the muscle relaxer and will use it on an as needed basis only. The ortho finally called me back and verified that would be okay.
    The days that I had mega steroid dosages, I couldn't sleep. Didn't sleep at all on Saturday night. Woke up with red eyes, but figured that was expected. Slept a couple of hours on Sunday night and then Monday woke up with more kunk than usual in my eyes. Turns out, I have pink eye. I had a telemid appointment with my doctor and got eye drops to use. That is helping and I'm not supposed to be contagious anymore.

My heat pump went out again last night. I'm fortunate to have gotten an appointment to have it looked at tomorrow after 2 pm. That way I don't have to change my plans too much to get it fixed.

I have read, liked, and hugged the last several days, but haven't had the time to comment much. There were a couple I wanted to, so am going back to scan and see if I can find them.

@SummerSkier Congrats on getting your RTY miles in. That's awesome!

@shanaber I hope you can figure out what is going on with you. Do you know what caused it the last time?

Love your running group picture @Teresa502 !

@polskagirl01 I, too, love that you are the only one splashing through the puddles in your race.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Nice picture @katharmonic . I love the pictures where you are "flying." That's why I have the profile picture I do. It's the only one I have with both feet off the ground at the same time. LOL

I'm glad to hear that @Avidkeo and @ContraryMaryMary are okay and active.

@skippygirlsmom I am going to try to see the sports ortho that @Teresa502 is familiar with. I just haven't had the time to call yet. Skips boyfriend sounds so sweet and I know she was thrilled. I wouldn't have to think twice about signing up for the extra $3,000 either, if I were you. I can see how some can't, if they have travel plans. That's a nice Christmas/New Year's bonus!

Sounds like you are doing great @Scott6255 with your HR staying that low even with going faster than you intended.

@kgirlhart Congratulations on your RTY mileage! That's awesome. I would be interested in joining a RTY team for 2022. Not sure how much I'll be running, but would like to have something to work toward. Also, I still haven't entered my running on the Run The World site. I hope to be able to do that while daycare is closed for a few days. It won't get us there, I'm sure, but we'll be closer.

Love the snowy pictures @polskagirl01 . What a "cool" place to run.

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,979 Member
    Options
    December Goal: 100 Miles

12/1: 5.11 miles
    12/2: 5.11 miles
    12/5: 10.03 miles
    12/7: 5.31 miles
    12/8: 5.52 miles
    12/9: 5.51 miles
    12/11: 5.26 miles
    12/12: 6.25 miles
    12/14: 5.10 miles
    12/15: 5.31 miles
    12/16: 6.04 miles
    12/19: 9.35 miles
    12/21: 5.11 miles
    12/22: 5.10 miles

84.11/100 miles completed for December

Another 5 miles this morning.  It was cold, but clear and pretty. There were lots of stars and the moon was really bright. But then when I left the house to go to work it was really foggy.  I was glad it was nice for my run.

@shanaber and @quilteryoyo It will be great to have you on the team. I believe 5 is the limit, so if more are interested in doing it we can set up additional teams.

exercise.png

2021 Races:
    4/24/21: Run For The Children - 10K PR 55:46:28.
    11/6/21: Run For 57th AHC Half Marathon - PR 2:07:11 and 1st in AG
    12/11/21: Wags and Wiskers 5K- 1st in AG,  2nd Overall Female
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Thanks @kgirlhart . Just let me know how to sign up.

@rheddmobile Yeah. So happy you got good news from the cardiologist. I hope it was a one time episode and doesn't happen again. I'm sure that was a big relief for you. Now, to get rid of that stupid cold. I hope you and your DH feel better soon!

• quilteryoyo
    Options
    Thanks @noblsheep ! Glad you had a nice run.

@martaindale Congratulations on such a great run!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,979 Member
    Options
    December Goal: 100 Miles

12/1: 5.11 miles
    12/2: 5.11 miles
    12/5: 10.03 miles
    12/7: 5.31 miles
    12/8: 5.52 miles
    12/9: 5.51 miles
    12/11: 5.26 miles
    12/12: 6.25 miles
    12/14: 5.10 miles
    12/15: 5.31 miles
    12/16: 6.04 miles
    12/19: 9.35 miles
    12/21: 5.11 miles
    12/22: 5.10 miles
    12/23: 6.06 miles

90.17/100 miles completed for December

I ran 6 miles this morning.  It was an uneventful run,  but nice. I'm getting  close to my December goal.

@rheddmobile I am so glad you finally were able to see a cardiologist and that the news was good. I hope you and your husband feel better soon. 

@shanaber, @skippygirlsmom and @quilteryoyo do y'all want me to set up a team for RTY ? I am not good at coming up with names.

exercise.png

2021 Races:
    4/24/21: Run For The Children - 10K PR 55:46:28.
    11/6/21: Run For 57th AHC Half Marathon - PR 2:07:11 and 1st in AG
    12/11/21: Wags and Wiskers 5K- 1st in AG,  2nd Overall Female

• quilteryoyo
    Options
    That would be great @kgirlhart . I'm not good with names either, but in honor of @Tramboman maybe we could be "Keeping it Sleasy."
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    December 1 – 5.16 miles
    December 4 – 10.05 miles
    December 5 – 5.13 miles
    December 6 – 5.30 miles
    December 7 – 2 miles (treadmill)
    December 8 – 5.1 miles
    December 9 – 5.11 miles
    December 11 -10.13 miles
    December 12 – 5.01 miles
    December 13 – 4.16 miles
    December 15 – 5.14 miles
    December 18 – 6.30 miles
    December 19 – 3.51 miles
    December 20 – 5.15 miles
    December 21 – 3.42 miles
    December 23 – 7.06 miles

87.74/100 miles completed

I ran 7 miles today. I had some errands to do this morning so I didn’t run until 11:00 am when it was sunny and 47F.

Glad you finally were able to speak to a knowledgeable healthcare professional @rheddmobile and get some advice.

Congrats on completing your RTY goal @kgirlhart!

Thanks for the podcast reference @polskagirl01 and the insightful information that you researched and shared @martaindale. The podcast made several references to eating disorders among ultra runners being a well known fact. I never realized this. I always just thought they were well disciplined with their diet to enhance their performance, help their pace, etc. and after expending so many calories they were refueling rather than binging. I was really surprised at the eating disorder rate among the male ultra athletes. I guess I just stereotypically think of that as being a problem for females. I’m not sure how “mental illness” was defined for her study. One of the guys made a good point that what might be normal to one person can differ from what is normal to another person. I also thought the chicken/egg discussion was interesting. I would have just assumed that people ran to deal with their emotional disorders not that they developed them from the ultra endurance sport.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you were able to see a knowledgeable cardiologist @rheddmobile. Sorry about your major cold though! Miserable.

The podcast topic is very interesting. I haven't had time to look at the research (I also review journal articles as part of my job so I'm interested) but it does bring up a lot of questions about how they actually asked about this. I say all the time I run to cope with stress, anxiety, and depression, but I wouldn't put that anywhere close to having a mental illness, but I wonder if it "counts"? I agree with the comments about the extremes.

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    12/01/21 :::: 0.0 :::: 0.0
    12/02/21 :::: 2.2 :::: 2.2
    12/03/21 :::: 3.1 :::: 5.3
    12/04/21 :::: 10.1 :::: 15.3
    12/05/21 :::: 4.0 :::: 19.4
    12/06/21 :::: 3.1 :::: 22.5
    12/07/21 :::: 3.1 :::: 25.5
    12/08/21 :::: 3.1 :::: 28.6
    12/09/21 :::: 1.7 :::: 30.3
    12/10/21 :::: 3.3 :::: 33.6
    12/11/21 :::: 4.5 :::: 38.1
    12/12/21 :::: 4.1 :::: 42.2
    12/13/21 :::: 3.1 :::: 45.3
    12/14/21 :::: 4.0 :::: 49.3
    12/15/21 :::: 4.0 :::: 53.3
    12/16/21 :::: 0.0 :::: 53.3
    12/17/21 :::: 2.7 :::: 56.0
    12/18/21 :::: 13.7 :::: 69.7
    12/19/21 :::: 3.6 :::: 73.3
    12/20/21 :::: 2.0 :::: 75.3
    12/21/21 :::: 3.1 :::: 78.4
    12/22/21 :::: 3.0 :::: 81.5
    12/23/21 :::: 0.0 :::: 81.5

Yesterday I ran on the treadmill at the rock climbing gym after a bit of climbing. It was one of those rare days when it seemed to go by pretty fast on the treadmill. Today I decided to take a rest day from running.

I did my strength training class in the am, and tried out a new body scan thing they have at the gym. The old scan thing did this 360 picture of you and you had to be practically naked. It was always telling me I had a pretty high body fat %. This one is much simpler and just impedance based I guess. It said my visceral fat levels were good and my % body fat was much lower than the other one (which I last used about 2 years ago, but still I don't think it woul be that different). I liked that answer. It has a lot of numbers I didn't quite understand about extracellular and intracellular water, but the upshot was the ratio of those was good. Anyway, whatever your starting level the value I guess is in tracking your numbers over time so we'll see how it looks in a few weeks/months. Maybe well after the holidays. :)