Less Alcohol ~ DECEMBER 2021 ~ One Day At A Time

Replies

• LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    Xellercin wrote: »
    I like high quality dealcoholized wines though, and there are some good ones on the market now. So it turns out I do actually like the smell and flavour of the non alcohol part of the wine. I just can't stomach the foul ethanol anymore.

Can you recommend any brands?

Someone posted about some of the non-alcoholic "spirits" a while back but they are more expensive than alcohol and when looking at the ingredient list it seemed to mostly be sugar water so I'm reluctant to spend money on that type of thing. Especially since there are a ton of mocktail recipes out there that seem quite good with normal ingredients.
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,682 Member
    @ahoy_m8 I just love how you write. So expressive. I feel like part of your post!
    All those delicious sweets on top of everything else!?
    I baked for the holidays and made sure it was all package and gifted within the same day as to not be tempted.
    Stay away from that slippery slope.
  • MissMay
    @Lilylady3k congrats on making your monthly AF day goal.

I bet your area has lots going on for NYE.
  • MissMay
    @LazyBlondeChef I have a variety of the LYRE'S non-alcoholic spirits. Calories and carbs are very low per serving size. (17-25 calories 1 ounce)
    They were a gift to me early October and I am surprised they are not empty yet 🤣. I think it is because I know they were a bit on the pricey side and I love the beautiful labels and bottles to look at in the frig.
  • MissMay
    Three more witching days/ nights to get through for 2021.

Just getting my voice back on a limited basis. Not wanting to dry it out by consuming moisture sucking alcohol right now.
    So now that I've written about my LYRE'S spirits above I can enjoy those if I do want a flavorful beverage in my new German glassware/stemware husband surprised me with.
    Looking forward to getting back to a routine soon for so my different things. Mostly lifting weights.

New years come with new hopes in all sizes.

AF last night
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,607 Member
    Glad people are having a good time this holiday season. I want to lose one more pound before the year is out. Just one more pound, please....

Best "fake" fizzy non-alcoholic rose: Senorio de la Tautila. And yep, hard to find and $$$$. I thought I tried all of them a year ago. I have not shopped for non-alcoholic stuff this year because juice and water is just cheaper and I could use some anti-oxidants anyway. And a good coffee or frozen yogurt hits the spot in a good way.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,814 Member
    Hi : - )

Going for my usual goal of 16-20 AF days, Diary style

Tuesday December 21 - Drinks. Not planned. I did the 6 minute wait 6 times and then caved. Planned drinks for Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
    Wednesday December 22 - Drinks. Trying to be AF for Thursday
    Thursday December 23 - Drinks. Well, I had only planned on 2 AF days this week...and drank on both of them. Not planning on another AF day for awhile, but will continue checking in. Happy holidays to all : - )
    Friday December 24 - Drinks - Mostly I have been having 2. Being indulgent with food and drink, and I am okay with that : - )
    Saturday December 25 - Drinks throughout the day of all sorts. We are snowed in here : - )
    Sunday December 26 - Drinks day, starting with all sorts of yummy liquerus in coffee: espresso baileys, raspberry chocolate irish cream, spiced rum, orange brandy etc. Not ready to pull back the reigns on delicious food and drinks just yet. Loving being snowed in and just about to watch "White Christmas" with another full turkey dinner. Had so much fun shoveling today : - ) Photos to come.
    Monday December 27 - Drinks. I continue to enjoy lots of seasonal foods and a few drinks. In order to make my 16 this month I am planning AF for Tuesday and Thursday.
    Tuesday December 28 - AF - For the first time in awhile. Inching toward my 16AF for the month

Rolling Total: 15AF days out of 28 days.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    edited December 2021
    Xellercin wrote: »
    I like high quality dealcoholized wines though, and there are some good ones on the market now. So it turns out I do actually like the smell and flavour of the non alcohol part of the wine. I just can't stomach the foul ethanol anymore.

Can you recommend any brands?

Someone posted about some of the non-alcoholic "spirits" a while back but they are more expensive than alcohol and when looking at the ingredient list it seemed to mostly be sugar water so I'm reluctant to spend money on that type of thing. Especially since there are a ton of mocktail recipes out there that seem quite good with normal ingredients.

That's the thing, you can't buy them if you are looking at them as an inferior product to the alcoholic versions, they'll just seem like a ripoff. I perceive them as worth the value because they keep me very happily sober. I hate overly sugary beverages, so my options are usually water or soda water, that's it. So I'm willing to pay a premium for options at social events.

I'm in Canada, and my favourite brand is the grocery store house brand, President's Choice. They have a tasty merlot and a really nice sparkling white.

That said, I didn't start drinking NA wines until I had been sober for nearly a year, so to me they don't taste like imitation wine, they taste like a nice, not overly sweet, adult beverage when I want something at a dinner or party an don't want to be stuck with juuuuust water.

If I drank pop and juice, I would probably just stick to that like most sober folks do, but I hate pop and juice, I find them disgusting. I like NA beers though, especially Heineken, which is pretty much available everywhere here now.
  • MissMay
    @Xellercin wrote:
    "I like NA beers though, especially Heineken"

👍👍👍
  • Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,962 Member
    edited December 2021
    AF this evening! 13 out of 29 days this month.
    MissMay wrote: »
    @Lilylady3k congrats on making your monthly AF day goal.

I bet your area has lots going on for NYE.

There are lots of fireworks planned across all of Houston.

My plan is as usual for NYE ... bed by 10pm LOL.
    My adult kids are planning to go to my daughter's new home and sit out by the fire pit ... before the cold front blows in on Saturday!

ee2yz79f6fax.png
  • lmlmrn
    lmlmrn Posts: 788 Member
    @Xellercin I like NA beers though, especially Heineken,

when I discovered Heineken000, wow what a game changer, I keep it year round.

We had snow for Christmas! and it's still here dang it! my area does not do well when it comes to keeping the roads cleared. My area is very hilly (is that a word?) and you don't realize just how many hills and how steep they are until they are covered in snow LOL.

So DH has been on vacation this week so we are not AF. But it is never to excess and we both stop at 2. We had hoped to leave for a few overnight trips, but the weather is just too cold, and the roads too iffy.

• dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,814 Member
    Hi : - )

Going for my usual goal of 16-20 AF days, Diary style

Tuesday December 21 - Drinks. Not planned. I did the 6 minute wait 6 times and then caved. Planned drinks for Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
    Wednesday December 22 - Drinks. Trying to be AF for Thursday
    Thursday December 23 - Drinks. Well, I had only planned on 2 AF days this week...and drank on both of them. Not planning on another AF day for awhile, but will continue checking in. Happy holidays to all : - )
    Friday December 24 - Drinks - Mostly I have been having 2. Being indulgent with food and drink, and I am okay with that : - )
    Saturday December 25 - Drinks throughout the day of all sorts. We are snowed in here : - )
    Sunday December 26 - Drinks day, starting with all sorts of yummy liquerus in coffee: espresso baileys, raspberry chocolate irish cream, spiced rum, orange brandy etc. Not ready to pull back the reigns on delicious food and drinks just yet. Loving being snowed in and just about to watch "White Christmas" with another full turkey dinner. Had so much fun shoveling today : - ) Photos to come.
    Monday December 27 - Drinks. I continue to enjoy lots of seasonal foods and a few drinks. In order to make my 16 this month I am planning AF for Tuesday and Thursday.
    Tuesday December 28 - AF - For the first time in awhile. Inching toward my 16AF for the month
    Wednesday December 29 - Drinks. Planning AF for Thursday, and then Prosecco for NYE.

Rolling Total: 15AF days out of 29 days.
  • lmlmrn
    lmlmrn Posts: 788 Member
    @dawnbgethealthy Your pictures look a lot like my place right now. Finally got above freezing today and some snow melt only to be followed by another snowfall. Grr

I guess I am a bit on the lucky side as New Years Eve celebrations. We have always stayed home. At first because our children were too young to stay home by themselves. Then just to keep an eye on them. After they all moved out it was just too much trouble LOL talk about fuddy duddies ....that's us.

I was experimenting with a paella recipe. I have never made it before and I used chicken, chorizo, shrimp, peppers and onion. I even bought saffron to use. It was kinda a let down. Not really much more than a jambalya really. Is that the way it is suppose to taste? Help

btw AF yeah me.