Less Alcohol ~ DECEMBER 2021 ~ One Day At A Time

Options
167891012»

Replies

• globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    @lmlmrn - IMO paella needs mussels or something in a "shell" to give it that sea flavor. I add 6 cloves lightly sauteed garlic to mine and I use the best olive oil I have. I always use hot italian sausage, cooked and sliced. Then jumbo shrimp in the shell. I add a cup of white wine. And a cup of green peas (frozen kind) or 2 cups of whole french green beans. I use roasted red bell peppers (from a jar). I use regular jasmine rice and cook it in a steamer separately first then mix it up with the cooked meat and seafood items and sautee the whole thing.Towards the end -another cheat- add a packet of Sazon goya seasoning (the yellow one not sure if it's achiote) to give it color and flavor. And a must: sprinkle "smoked spanish paprika" and red pepper for heat. Oh and little to no saffron for me. I let the rice crisp up on the bottom, then I scrape it and toss it and repeat it a few times. Nonstick pans don't work well so I use aluminum but I really need to buy a proper super-big paella pan to use outdoors since I have an outdoor gas fire pit.
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    In 2021, I did better than in 2020 but I didn't impress myself. Overall, I was AF more days than not. The first-half of the year was fairly alcohol-free until I ran into life disruptions mid-year: the new job, the vacation, the visiting drinking relatives, and then I did have 4 people in my life pass away (none Covid)..but it was all in the second half of this year. The stress and depression did start to take control but I let it. Looking back, I hope I have learned from these events and continue to strengthen myself physically, mentally, spiritually so I can handle 2022 ready to hit some new AF goals.

Oh and still AF this week. I may re-watch the movie "Don't Look Up" on Netflix, that was very good.

Party is tomorrow!
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,572 Member
    Options
    Hi : - )

Going for my usual goal of 16-20 AF days, Diary style

Tuesday December 21 - Drinks. Not planned. I did the 6 minute wait 6 times and then caved. Planned drinks for Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
    Wednesday December 22 - Drinks. Trying to be AF for Thursday
    Thursday December 23 - Drinks. Well, I had only planned on 2 AF days this week...and drank on both of them. Not planning on another AF day for awhile, but will continue checking in. Happy holidays to all : - )
    Friday December 24 - Drinks - Mostly I have been having 2. Being indulgent with food and drink, and I am okay with that : - )
    Saturday December 25 - Drinks throughout the day of all sorts. We are snowed in here : - )
    Sunday December 26 - Drinks day, starting with all sorts of yummy liquerus in coffee: espresso baileys, raspberry chocolate irish cream, spiced rum, orange brandy etc. Not ready to pull back the reigns on delicious food and drinks just yet. Loving being snowed in and just about to watch "White Christmas" with another full turkey dinner. Had so much fun shoveling today : - ) Photos to come.
    Monday December 27 - Drinks. I continue to enjoy lots of seasonal foods and a few drinks. In order to make my 16 this month I am planning AF for Tuesday and Thursday.
    Tuesday December 28 - AF - For the first time in awhile. Inching toward my 16AF for the month
    Wednesday December 29 - Drinks. Planning AF for Thursday, and then Prosecco for NYE.
    Thursday December 30 - AF - Always glad to hit my 16. I usually delete entries, but have left this past 9 days up for myself to see how many days in a row I was having drinks. The plan was for drinks NYE, but I have picked up extra shifts, so am not sure now, I may wait until the 1st. Happy New Year all!

Rolling Total: 16AF days out of 30 days.
  • lmlmrn
    lmlmrn Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    @lmlmrn - IMO paella needs mussels or something in a "shell" to give it that sea flavor. I add 6 cloves lightly sauteed garlic to mine and I use the best olive oil I have. I always use hot italian sausage, cooked and sliced. Then jumbo shrimp in the shell. I add a cup of white wine. And a cup of green peas (frozen kind) or 2 cups of whole french green beans. I use roasted red bell peppers (from a jar). I use regular jasmine rice and cook it in a steamer separately first then mix it up with the cooked meat and seafood items and sautee the whole thing.Towards the end -another cheat- add a packet of Sazon goya seasoning (the yellow one not sure if it's achiote) to give it color and flavor. And a must: sprinkle "smoked spanish paprika" and red pepper for heat. Oh and little to no saffron for me. I let the rice crisp up on the bottom, then I scrape it and toss it and repeat it a few times. Nonstick pans don't work well so I use aluminum but I really need to buy a proper super-big paella pan to use outdoors since I have an outdoor gas fire pit.

Your version sounds so much better, I did add smoked paprika and green beans. I also used a cast iron skillet. Next time I will use a combination of your suggestions and what I liked about this recipe. Plus cut the recipe in 1/2. Way too much food for just DH and I. If it had been outstanding I would have put it up in the freezer for freezer meals.

btw AF last night yeah me
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,554 Member
    Options
    Well thanks @lilylady3k, @globalhiker and @lmlmrn NOW I am super hungry for your recipes.
    I have never made paella or eaten it. Leave out the mussels and I would give it a try.

Tonight we are having my husband's favorite LOBSTER. He works at a lobster pound and can bring home the "inferior" lobsters at no cost. What is an inferior lobster you ask? A lobster that is missing a claw, part of a claw, part of its tail or its little feeler feet underneath it's body, missing one or more antenna on its head. They have to be totally intacked to be dinner plate ready for these high dollar restaurants.

Me? I am a crabmeat, shrimp or scallop girl. All which are luckily abundant here on our coast during their given harvesting season.

I am hearing so many inspiring stories from this year and past years from you all, along with anticipation to be drinking less in 2022. Some will do dry January, some will work at cutting back at their own pace.

All we can do is put our best foot forward and try.
    Needing to dodge the everyday obstacles that life throws at us while we attempt to make our goals can be trying.
    Looking back and knowing we jumped over one or two to avoid a disaster is monumental.

In case you missed the link to our JANUARY 2022 THREAD for tomorrow here it is:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10851763/less-alcohol-january-2022-one-day-at-a-time/p1?new=1

We are couch potatoes this year at home. Although I might surprise hubby by slipping into a past year glitter dress and jazzing up our dinner that way.

Whatever is in your plan for the evening. Enjoy!
    🥳 🦞
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    In 2021, I did better than in 2020 but I didn't impress myself. Overall, I was AF more days than not. The first-half of the year was fairly alcohol-free until I ran into life disruptions mid-year: the new job, the vacation, the visiting drinking relatives, and then I did have 4 people in my life pass away (none Covid)..but it was all in the second half of this year. The stress and depression did start to take control but I let it. Looking back, I hope I have learned from these events and continue to strengthen myself physically, mentally, spiritually so I can handle 2022 ready to hit some new AF goals.

Oh and still AF this week. I may re-watch the movie "Don't Look Up" on Netflix, that was very good.

Party is tomorrow!

What a coincidence! We watched “don’t look up” night before last. We thought it was good, too. A little depressing though. Happy new year, all.
  • 77topcat
    77topcat Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I watched don’t look up last night!!
    Happy new year all

I ended the month 16AF days. Basically drank every other night. Not beating myself up for it as I made the decision to let December be what I’t be.