WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2021

Options

Replies

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,636 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Allie - I think she could apply for disability, or maybe unemployment - there is a government program to cover being "forced" to stay home due to Covid. She should be able to call her Human Resources person at her work to see what options they know about.

here is a link that should help

Families First Coronavirus Response Act: Questions and Answershttps://www.dol.gov › whd › pandemic › ffcra-questions

Who is a covered employer that must provide paid sick leave and expanded family and medical leave under the FFCRA?
    Generally, if you employ fewer than 500 employees you are a covered employer that must provide paid sick leave and expanded family and medical leave. For additional information on the 500 employee threshold, see Question 2. Certain employers with fewer than 50 employees may be exempt from the Act’s requirements to provide certain paid sick leave and expanded family and medical leave. For additional information regarding this small business exemption, see Question 4 and Questions 58 and 59 below.

Certain public employers are also covered under the Act and must provide paid sick leave and expanded family and medical leave.

Kim in N. California
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,582 Member
    Options
    Uuu
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,733 Member
    Options
    The Drs only employ maybe 10 people. Small outfit.. but ultrasound and stress test were fine and the guesstimate weight for the baby right now is 7 - 7 1/2 lbs she will get the PCR test on Monday for the surgery the following friday.. so now we wait..Ill do what I can to help you out..
  • grandmallie
    Options
    Help her out lol
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 2hrs 19min 30sec, 3.36ap, 121elev, 93ahr, 112mhr, 8.01mi= 733c
    Strava app = 967c
    Walk haircut to home- 10.33min, 3.80ap, .66mi= 60c
    Strava app = 80c

Total cal- 793
  • grandmallie
    Options
    Alfie and I are hanging out watching Beach Hunters he is under the covers ..
    Tracy has calmed down a bit and has called her work and told them she wont be back in . Im sure they will understand because of her position..
    Hopefully she can rest up for the next week before all the chaos starts lol
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Oooo
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,941 Member
    Options
    kat2266 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am new to discussions.
    How Is everyone?

Welcome here!

Tell us about yourself. :)
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Good article!

The science of healthy habits: how to establish new routines as part of your training plan

Whether your New Year’s resolution is to commute by bike, start a daily stretching routine or eat healthier snacks, it’s time to ditch your dependence on flaky willpower and build bulletproof habits instead

https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/fitness-and-training/healthy-habits/

M in Oz

Another quote from the article above:

Think small

Dr Fogg says it’s essential to start with small goals because habits are formed through a ‘B=MAP’ system. “Behaviour can be changed when you have a convergence of Motivation, Ability and a Prompt,” he says.

“Those are the three elements. But behaviour can happen even if motivation is low, so long as the action is easy (so you have the ability to do it) and you have a prompt to remind you to do it.

“If you don’t make your first behaviour tiny, you’ll probably fail. By starting out small and succeeding, you’ll improve your motivation by the release of positive emotions.”

A focus on building small habits – such as doing one yoga stretch every time you get out of bed, or taking an apple out of the fridge after breakfast each morning – will ensure the habit becomes ingrained through repetition. Over time, you’ll naturally take the next steps anyway: if you get the apple out, you’ll almost certainly eat it later.

“If I make the effort to put on my workout clothes in the morning, I’m going to follow through,” says Brauer. “And if I get on the floor to do one stretch, my brain will quieten down and I’ll finish the routine.”

Starting out small also improves your ability to perform the habit. “As your ability increases, fear goes away and hope increases because you see yourself succeeding,” explains Dr Fogg. “That too reinforces the new behaviour.”

I've been reading a few things about neuroplasticity and retraining, redirecting the brain lately.

Right now I'm reading The Brain's Way of Healing by Norman Doidge. It's fascinating and now I'm looking forward to reading his The Brain that Changes Itself.
    https://www.normandoidge.com/?page_id=1042

Of course, I'm reading these with my husband in mind, but I'm finding these things interesting for myself as well.

M in Oz
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    764570s1ywfpdanr.gif
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Worked then went to the MD about my toe. First off, I tried to register online yesterday and when I got to the part where I was to enter my Medicare number, it kept telling me it was invalid. So when I got there they told me that they had to input the medicare number. Why have you go just so far and not completely? Then I had to answer the dumb Medicare questions like do I have end stage renal failure (what that has to do with a toe is beyond me), when did I retire (I don’t know), when did Vince retire (I don’t know, probably about 15 years ago)

Then went to pick up Lexi’s med only they didn’t have it ready so went to Food Lion. Vince wanted to go to Hallmark so he picked up the med. I made the pork tenderloin for us for tomorrow (I don’t want to make a whole ham), put some beef and barley in the crockpot, took the yogurt out of the draining container, then made lime bars (instead of lemon).

Oh, get this, the MD for my toe says it’ll heal, I’ve bruised two of the three tiny bones in the toe. It’ll be about 6 weeks before the swelling goes down. But if I want to speed this up, keep my foot up and ice it. Yea, put my feet up, that one’s gonna happen.

Beth – that’s terrible about your son. Hope you and your hubby test negative.

Tracey – what lovely cups!

Debbie (((HUG)))

Allie – My heart goes out to Tracey. After all she’s been thru.

A neighbor stopped by with some holiday cookies. Just what I need/want – more cookies! Fortunately, most of them I won’t eat. You know, I’ve decided that the cookies that Vince wants I’ll keep and just throw the rest away. I am so sick of looking at cookies!

I swear, the doctor I saw today, his practical has a patient portal. They must have had 18year olds design it. First, they encourage you to register online. Fine. But when I do, I can only go so far and then I have to take the insurance information into the office. Then why ask for it in the first place? Why make me scan it in on my computer only to have the office have to do it? Now I got some sort of message and they give you a verification code. Only the code is only good for 10 minutes. What do they think I do? Sit at my computer all the time just waiting for their code?

Michele NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,946 Member
    Options
    :) I have been doing a lot of thinking about what to choose for my one word theme for 2022. This will be my ninth year of doing this. Here is what I've chosen, so far: 2014 mindful, 2015 now, 2016 alacrity, 2017 balance, 2018 tenacity, 2019 pause, 2020 flexible, 2021 lighten up. In the years since I retired I have added a lot of new and useful habits and challenged myself to new things. This year, I just want to keep doing what I'm doing. My life is going well and I want to keep it that way. So my one word theme for 2022 will be continue---to keep doing what I'm doing and when the going gets tough just continue on and not get discouraged.

<3Allie, so sorry to hear about your daughter's new challenges. This will be a good chance for her to rest rather than go to work and I hope you'll just stay in the moment and not write stories in your head about the worst case scenarios.

<3 Barbie in still snowy NW WA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Terri - Snow and hummingbirds has been a wonderful treat. The snow is something that comes and goes. The birds live here all year long. :heart:

Rebecca – 7:18 AM with a cup of coffee is bliss. :star:

Rita – I suspect many of us would be better off if we adopted the practice of trying to be more positive. I know I need to keep it in mind. :flowerforyou:

Allie - Good luck for Tracy. Good news that her home test was negative. I hope she stays healthy. :heart:

Heather – So sorry that your friend’s husband died. Many are having difficult times. :cry:

Kim – Your advice to Allie’s friend is brilliant. :star:

I had a good day today, watching snow slowly melt away. There is still a good amount on the ground, but less than yesterday. I love watching the hummingbirds. They live here all year. When the sun went down, I started watching TV. I like Doctor Pohl and other TV veterinarians.

Katla in snowy NW Oregon
  • Machka9
    edited December 2021
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Worked then went to the MD about my toe. First off, I tried to register online yesterday and when I got to the part where I was to enter my Medicare number, it kept telling me it was invalid. So when I got there they told me that they had to input the medicare number. Why have you go just so far and not completely? Then I had to answer the dumb Medicare questions like do I have end stage renal failure (what that has to do with a toe is beyond me), when did I retire (I don’t know), when did Vince retire (I don’t know, probably about 15 years ago)

Then went to pick up Lexi’s med only they didn’t have it ready so went to Food Lion. Vince wanted to go to Hallmark so he picked up the med. I made the pork tenderloin for us for tomorrow (I don’t want to make a whole ham), put some beef and barley in the crockpot, took the yogurt out of the draining container, then made lime bars (instead of lemon).

Oh, get this, the MD for my toe says it’ll heal, I’ve bruised two of the three tiny bones in the toe. It’ll be about 6 weeks before the swelling goes down. But if I want to speed this up, keep my foot up and ice it. Yea, put my feet up, that one’s gonna happen.

Beth – that’s terrible about your son. Hope you and your hubby test negative.

Tracey – what lovely cups!

Debbie (((HUG)))

Allie – My heart goes out to Tracey. After all she’s been thru.

A neighbor stopped by with some holiday cookies. Just what I need/want – more cookies! Fortunately, most of them I won’t eat. You know, I’ve decided that the cookies that Vince wants I’ll keep and just throw the rest away. I am so sick of looking at cookies!

I swear, the doctor I saw today, his practical has a patient portal. They must have had 18year olds design it. First, they encourage you to register online. Fine. But when I do, I can only go so far and then I have to take the insurance information into the office. Then why ask for it in the first place? Why make me scan it in on my computer only to have the office have to do it? Now I got some sort of message and they give you a verification code. Only the code is only good for 10 minutes. What do they think I do? Sit at my computer all the time just waiting for their code?

Michele NC

Most computer systems require a verification code of some sort now. It's called 2-Step Verification. The code usually comes to your phone or designated email address within a minute and is only good for 10 minutes. If you don't enter it into the correct place in time, you request another code. It's modern computer security. Be thankful for it because it helps protect your information. :)

And that's great news about your toe!! I suggest that you get stiff-soled shoes for when you have to stand at work. They helped me a lot when I broke my toe many years ago.

Machka in Oz
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,769 Member
    Options
    Heather - thank you! It’s called sublimation. There is a coating on the glass that allows infusible inks to soak into the coating. I used copy paper and the markers. It is then heated in a press (which was a gift from DH). If you look up sublimation you’ll get a more detailed description.

I have had a couple of sleepless nights myself, due to coughing. The mind sure does wander.

Barbara - my Mother and Mother in Law both prowl at night. I remember Dad grumbling at Mom for doing things in the night that woke him up. We grew up in a very old farmhouse, not a beautiful one like the magazines, one that probably should not have been allowed to have people living in it. My parents room was up the stairs, they had no walls except exterior, my brother and I had small rooms that we got to by walking through theirs. Sometimes in the Winter my parents even moved our beds into their room so they could close our little rooms off and have heat centred in theirs.

Is that the only dry cleaner in town?
    I haven’t used a dry cleaner in years, but know that there are still people that need them.

Lisa - I had asked DH to watch Yellowstone with me last year and we didn’t get around to it. This Fall just before Season 4 started he binge watched the first three seasons and told me I had to do the same. 😂. I managed to get it all in by episode 2 of Season 4 and now we watch it together on Sunday evening. We enjoy it. We are both annoyed about 1883 being aired in Paramount Plus only as we can’t even subscribe to it here.
    I hope I get answers to, my BF has told me the issues now are my penance for never having cramps. 😂 She suffered terribly when we were young and has sailed through menopause with no issues.
    I hope you have a peaceful visit with your daughter and grandchildren. She probably needs some peace.

My maternal Grandmother was the most wonderful woman, I still miss her terribly. I can only hope that I’m half the Grandmother she was. My Mom was an only child and my brother and I were well loved.
    My paternal grandmother was a hard woman, she favoured the boys in the family, although as I was the youngest granddaughter I did get some favouritism as well. I learned later in life that she had a very rough upbringing and had some mental health issues. She was married when she was very young, I think 13, to my Grandfather who was 12 years older. It wouldn’t be allowed nowadays. She then had 7 children.

Terri - 😂 scaffolding that’s a great way of describing it!!! Yes I did make those mugs. They were designs I found, but I did the colouring. I need to come up with some of my own designs.

So happy your Grandson was negative, enjoy you family time.

Debbie - Hugs to you those anniversaries are hard to get through.

Allie - I’ll pray for Tracy. Hopefully she doesn’t get it. They haven’t allowed visitors here at the hospitals since this all started.

Heather - my heart breaks for your friend. What a tough time.

Beth - unbelievable what you are having to pay for tests! We are so fortunate here that they are all covered unless you want to travel, you must pay for those ones on your own. Also, non vaccinated that need to show proof of a negative test to go to a restaurant or event of some kind have to pay for a test.

Machka - I love all of your photos. I also love all of the articles you share.

It was a long sleepless night so I didn’t work again today. I did manage a nap this afternoon for about an hour and a half. I received a text from my boss telling me not to come back to work until Tuesday. I hope I feel better by then.
    Working for an RN that genuinely cares about her staff is incredible. If only her management style was easier to deal with, she is a lovely human.

I’m hoping to get some sleep tonight, I have an idea for another mug but need to have some energy and brain power to do it.
    In order to learn how to use my mug press to its full capacity I need to practice but once you do the cup it’s permanent and I can’t use that cup again to practice another technique on. I’m not sure what I’m supposed to do with all of the mugs. I told my daughter I will be like Oprah, you get a mug, you get a mug, everybody gets a mug! Sorry for your luck if you have no room for them. 😂

Tracey in Edmonton, -33 tonight. It’s supposed to be -4 on Saturday.
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,480 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Terri - Snow and hummingbirds has been a wonderful treat. The snow is something that comes and goes. The birds live here all year long. :heart:

Rebecca – 7:18 AM with a cup of coffee is bliss. :star:

Rita – I suspect many of us would be better off if we adopted the practice of trying to be more positive. I know I need to keep it in mind. :flowerforyou:

Allie - Good luck for Tracy. Good news that her home test was negative. I hope she stays healthy. :heart:

Heather – So sorry that your friend’s husband died. Many are having difficult times. :cry:

Kim – Your advice to Allie’s friend is brilliant. :star:

I had a good day today, watching snow slowly melt away. There is still a good amount on the ground, but less than yesterday. I love watching the hummingbirds. They live here all year. When the sun went down, I started watching TV. I like Doctor Pohl and other TV veterinarians.

Katla in snowy NW Oregon

Yes, though I'm still getting used to drinking it black, its a step in the right direction.👍
    Rebecca
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    <3