Asked for help, REFUSED! *rant*

Options

Replies

• joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options
    Thanks for the informed comment size10again. Are you a professional in this area?

I guess they must be going off that tier thing. And that is what frustrates me, I dont want special medical help, I want that teit lifestyley, public health stuff. Apart from being more positive, it is also more sustainable because it gives real long term strategies for life, not just acute medical care. I really feel this approach would be best for me.

I don't think people are out to get me, promise, I just think I am being prevented from accessing services I feel I could really benefit from.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I know it is entitle to make it's own rules but I just think those rules are not fair. I don't want to have to go to a hospital to get help, I want help in that kind of setting. I really feel I would benefit from it, so I don't know why I can't. I think I could keep up because I have as good brain as anyone and I always try my best. I don't know why they assume I couldn't. I don't know that there are any other groups out there, this is the main local organisation for this sort of thing. It's just really frustrating

I don't assume they are out to get me, I just feel it's not fair.

I just hope you don't let this deter you. Just because they have criteria in place and have a standard recommendation does not mean the hospital is your only choice. Look into other community organizations, YWCA, community colleges, classes run in association with the hospital outside of the medical care they provide, for example. If you have a doctor, you could ask there. Most importantly, just keep moving forward.
    But this I think strongly- that I can't even join in a group talking about healthy eating etc? Do they think I'd have nothing to contribute to it, nor benefit from it?

Ultimately, I think you would be more successful in a group where you could fully participate. If you don't meet the criteria to fully contribute or benefit from the whole program, it's probably just the wrong program. I hope you find the right fit and love it!

In the meantime, this is a good place to browse or communicate ideas about lifestyle, food, light exercise, etc. You just have to ignore the ones who are sarcastic or looking for an argument....online or in person. lol Take care.

Edited to add: By the way, I do understand the difference between a momentary rant borne of frustration and just pitying yourself and giving up. I hope you've found some useful support and suggestions here.
  • MissStatement
    MissStatement Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I don't want to have to go to a hospital to get help, I want help in that kind of setting. I really feel I would benefit from it, so I don't know why I can't.

That may not be the sort of help that you want, but at your BMI it may be the sort of help that you need.
  • Elvira2014
    Elvira2014 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Wow ! I can see why your upset ! And i would be to ! Add me as a friend i just joined and i am here to get support and hopefully be a support person for others !
  • dawn_h_d
    dawn_h_d Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I feel for you, and can see why you are upset. I understand both sides of this.

You are ready to make that step and want to be in a group so you can work together to get ideas for cooking, exercises, etc. There is power in numbers.

They have limits, probaby due to legal issues.

I hate rocks and hard places, and I do hope you can find your way out of the middle of this one :cry:

:flowerforyou:
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I'm sure their recommendation to seek help at the hospital was purely due to liability issues. Try not to take it personally.

That was my first thought too.. they don't want to be liable if something were to happen to you. I completely understand why you're upset, but I honestly don't think that they were trying to make you feel bad.. they were just suggesting where you could go to get some help.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the informed comment size10again. Are you a professional in this area?

I guess they must be going off that tier thing. And that is what frustrates me, I dont want special medical help, I want that teit lifestyley, public health stuff. Apart from being more positive, it is also more sustainable because it gives real long term strategies for life, not just acute medical care. I really feel this approach would be best for me.

I don't think people are out to get me, promise, I just think I am being prevented from accessing services I feel I could really benefit from.

Is it possible that you may actually need acute medical care so you are able to make sustainable changes and have them be a part of your long term strategies?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't need sarcastic comments about yachts or whatever, seriously.

You're determined to be idignant about this instead of trying to understand the reasoning.

That's OK.
  • joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options
    Is it not fair because they helped you reach a BMI of 61 and now it's their responsibility to help you get it under control? It's not fair because you, personally, feel that it's not fair because now you want to do something and they won't "let" you? It's not fair because you don't like your other options, so who cares what their insurance costs are, their guidelines are, what they are set up to handle and who they have their plans designed to accommodate....nope, none of that matters because you want this and since you can't have this...it's just not fair? It's not fair because, somehow, you're exempt from other people's rules just because you think you should be?

Please, help me understand how this is not fair. Help me understand how you seem to be entitled to a program, one in which you apparently don't qualify, just because you think you should be.

No, i do not think it is their responsibility, it is mine. And the way in which I am taking responsibilty is, among other reasons, seeking helfpul advice and support. I think it is unfair because i beleive it would help me, and also that I would not harm the group (i am sure I could in fact be as valuable member as all the others), so there seems not very good reasosn to exclude me, is my view.

My comment aboutthe yacht means, I don't need sarcasm and nastiness, like I wasn't looking for that at all. Can't stop you doing it, but it brings nothing at all to the conversation, all I can do it ignore it, you wasted your own time even typing it.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I may be able to understand you not being able to keep up with the physical parts of the class but not being able to go in for nutrition? Ugh. I HATE the BMI scale, it really doesn't say much in my opinion. I'm sure you're overweight (like most of us on here, myself included!) but there's no reason you can't sit in a chair and participate in conversations about how to lose weight. I learn better in group and would be really frustrated if they wouldn't let me join, just like you are.

On the other hand, there's nothing that you can do about it except lose 20 points on their stupid scale or find another group. Are there other groups geared toward heavier people in your area?

Awww, thank you. I suppose I can concede that they would think i'd struggle with the exercise (i am not sure I would, I am OK fit), and maybe insurence stuff. But this I think strongly- that I can't even join in a group talking about healthy eating etc? Do they think I'd have nothing to contribute to it, nor benefit from it? I don't understand it.

Let me guess, other people having an opinion other than yours is unfair as well?

Seems like
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

You're determined to be idignant about this instead of trying to understand the reasoning.

^ Yup.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

^ Yup.
    It is known.
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I am trying to lose weight but have found my efforts stalling a lot, like my progress as ground to a halt, and I have not been able to lose in some months. So, I wanted to get things back on track, and I heard about a local organisation that offers fun social group exercise stuff, and also lessons about healthy eating, cooking, lifestyle etc. I thought that this sounded a good thing to get involved in, and a nice friendly way to get help with other people.So I enquired about it.

I was told I could NOT be involved :( My BMI is 61, far over their 'top' threshold of 40. Therefore they say they can't help and that I can only gethelp from the HOSPITAL!! I am very angry and upset about this!! I do not want to have to go to the hosptial to get all clinical help like I was an invalid, and also, I don't LIKE hospitals, who does??? It was not what I was after at all- as I say, I was seeking a nice fun informal way to get help- about working towards a better lifestyle, not about being treated as a patient. I think I would benefit much more from the class than hospital. Am I so much of a 'special needs' fatty that the group would be better off without me??

It annoys me that there is a group to help ppl about weight, but they only want to help people with a minor wieght problem. It just upsets me thinking WHY? Is it tht they think I am beyond 'normal' help and interventions? that I wouldbe bad for the group? That I would not keep up wth the class, physically or mentally? What is it?

Ugh, sorry for the rant, just so annoyed!!

No offense but 40 BMI is not considered a minor weight problem. That is considered obese. 60 is extremely high and morbidly obese. This group may not have the means to help in such a dire situation. Their suggestion for you to contact a doctor who is more knowledgeable than they are is a good suggestion. Quite frankly you are in a very bad place with your health with a BMI that high and you should seek help from a doctor or nutritionist to get your BMI down as soon as possible. Some situations need serious action not just a fun environment to learn new recipes. For your health, you need to take a very serious approach and lose some weight. Good luck.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I think you've done great so far!

Let me ask you this, though- do you think it's fair to make them take on a person who's needs are greater than they can deal with? It would be unprofessional and unfair to you for them to take you on if they didn't feel they could do the best by you. Yes, classes are good to learn about nutrition, but that's hardly the only source.

I know you don't like hospitals, but if you're not even going to try looking at one of those programs, you're doing a disservice to yourself. If you want to change your life, you're going to have to do *something,* even if it means sucking it up and trying something you don't want to do. You might find that it really *was* the best thing for you! :)
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I get you wanted to be a part of this group, but you didn't meet their criteria. Their rules are probably in place for one reason or another, liability issues, perhaps. I don't know. Either way, why not use it as motivation to get down to their maximum BMI? Then, you can decide whether you want to participate or not. Having solid, attainable goals is one of the best things you can do to keep yourself motivated.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I'm sure their recommendation to seek help at the hospital was purely due to liability issues. Try not to take it personally.

^^Absolutely in agreement with this ^^ They're either not equipped, or not insured enough, to facilitate your needs.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    To hell with them. You got us! :-D xxx
  • teeduran
    teeduran Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry this upset you. Stay with this program, and talk to you're doctor about other places, and exercises you can do. This is what I do. I'm sorry for the people here who answered rudely we are here to help each other. we all have a weight problem so just pay attention to the people who answer with helpful information. I would love to be friends to give support. I can use support too.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options

If you really feel that you could benefit from them, then I suggest that you lose the weight needed to be accepted into their program.

Honestly, they aren't going anywhere and will be there when you reach 40 BMI. Good Luck!
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I understand why you're upset. It's too bad that you are not allowed to participate in the non-exercise activities. I hope you are able to find another program.