WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2022

Options

Replies

• 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,332 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    NINJA ~ For many years, my father was the owner of Falls View Restaurant. It was known for its cat fish and shrimp.
    My brother sold it after he passed away. I think it has been sold again and a fire station will be built there from what I have heard.

Carol in GA
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,482 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I bought a bunch of fun stuff. New things I have never bought before:
    Canned mackerel in a nice olive oil tin
    Canned white crab
    Canned tuna with beans and rice tin
    Brags apple cider vinegar with mother
    Frozen dark chocolate dipped raspberries. 5 is 90 calories!
    Microwavable bags of quinoa, wild rice mixture, and 7 grain variety

Couldn't find my Rustic Oven hearty grain bread, so I bought Frantz 21 grain bread.

All in all bought lots of veggies, more cabbage, mushrooms, zucchini and cucumber. Its been delightful to eat before my meal a small bowl of pickled beets, and refrigerator pickles (just English cucumbers in some pickle juice). I added a bit of sugar, and more vinegar.
    I have decided to just have my one cup of coffee a day with my 1 scoop of Vital Orgain collagen creamer with a splash of half and half and 1 tsp of sugar. I have a shaker cup and it whips it up really quickly! Its just a large tumbler with a wire ball in it. So convenient!

So I have been toying with the idea of extended fasts. So I don't get headaches there's a juice I can make with Himalayan salt, and no salt (potassium) that you make a container up and drink that. There's also a drink I can make up with Brags vinegar, baking soda and a lemon juice chaser that is good for my kidney function. I need to research it more. Its based on a guy that developed The Snake Diet. He's a crass, foul mouthed gentleman, but getting yelled at every now and then seems to be working for me. I need to get my act together!
    Today was an 8" pizza with some sausage crumbles, Raol sauce, onions, mushroom, olive bruschetta, slice of tomato, Tillamook shredded mozzarella, shredded parmesan and a bit of Annie's Shiitake sesame dressing on the top of the tomato. It was awesome! Opened my window at 11:45 am and closed it at 1:15 pm. Totally satisfied, until tomorrow at noon.
    Well time to pay bills!
    Hugs ladies!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    WA
    oinjkn8m8xlk.jpg

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,735 Member
    Options
    Afternoon ladies
    Its been a busy day.. Homer not feeling great,so I checked on him 3 times today.. plus watching the baby.. my friend is up from NC. For a baby shower we are going to. And her brother is playing tonight at the local watering hole.. I love the band,I love them but im tired and even with ear plugs in ,it gets loud and I get claustrophobic.. so im going to bow out i think..Im tired..
    Linda is stopping in tomorrow and we will go over what i want to get done and how much she will charge.. but once everything is all cleaned up and stuff is out will feel so much better.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Vicki, Sorry about Jake. A hard but loving decision. (((Hugs)))

___

Thank you, Barbie, for the April thread.

___

Karen in Virginia
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,585 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Stat for the day-

Other- 3hours 42min 58sec, laundry, fold/put away, clean out trailer (deep clean), trim bushes, restock trailer = 939c
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,133 Member
    Options
    Barbie thanks for keeping us going!

💞 Mary from Arizona/Minnesota
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Barbie — Thank you once again for getting us started each month. I appreciate your leadership. ❤️
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Worked today, but the plan for tomorrow is to do Firm Super Cardio Mix DVD.

Made more chocolate bran muffins and now have a pineapple angel food cake in the oven for Vince. I’ll probably have some of this

Hi Michelle! Glad to have ya.

Tracey – one of the things that I’d like to do with the money that I’m earning is to redo the condo. Of course, there are a few other things I’d like to take care of first

Barbara,- reading about Gino reminded me so much of these two cats who were at the Humane Society. Same as Gino, they were scheduled to be euthanized. Same as Gino, they were returned multiple times, and same as Gino, they eventually found a wonderful home

Unfortunately, too windy today to take the covers off the pool :((( Hopefully, tomorrow.

Betsy – (((HUG)))

Ninja – (((BIG HUG))))

Vicki – dear heart, you brought tears to my eyes. I’m so sorry about Jake but you’re making the right decision for him.

Michele NC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,942 Member
    Options
    nsr2l7b1abh5.png

All of the above at one time or another?!?

Machka in Oz
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,482 Member
    Options
    Evelyn - I used to brush my teeth in the early evening to keep from snacking. I need to start that again.

Machka - you always ask thought provoking questions that gets us all think about our lives and things to think about.
    I grew up in an old farmhouse. When my Dad was sick he fell because his walker wouldn’t go through the bathroom doorway. He came within an inch of hitting his head on the wood stove. It was for his safety that he spent the last 3 weeks of his life in the hospital.

I think we are in a good position except our hallway is narrow. I’m not sure if a stretcher would fit through it.

Barbara - unanticipated bills are so worrisome. Our great deal for the plumber to come and diagnose today was great. However, the entire plumbing needs to be replaced. Approximately $3500. Before we do that we also need to get the place levelled which is $750. All of this is going to have the need to have walls replaced…. And on and on it goes.

Heather - I am very similar in thought. At what point are you being forced to live for others but really have no quality of life. My husband is very against my line of thought. I see a lot at the home and it sure has made me think a lot about the future.
    My brother and SIL moved in with our grandmother when she was 87, when she became nervous she wouldn’t hear the smoke alarm in the night. When she was 93, she moved into a seniors boarding house at her insistence. It was just her one other lady and the lady that ran the house. Her meals were prepared, she had help getting in and out of the tub and her medications were monitored. She refused to move downstairs in her own house and she didn’t want her family helping her. She lived until 4 months shy of her 96th birthday and was sharp as a tack.
    If I take after her I will be blessed.

Tina - I hear you on the pains. My exercise therapist keeps telling me it’s all about building my strength up slowly to avoid more injuries. I have a meeting with her in the morning.

Rebecca - I just love when you share bits about yourself and your navy life.

Barbie - sometimes talking through the process is a huge help.! Thanks for the new month.

I’m feeling quite down and discouraged tonight. I hate that everything is so expensive and difficult. Maybe I should look at a second job for a while to use for Reno’s.

Tracey in Edmonton

Welcome to my world!!! Sharing it helps me cope with it all friend.💖. So today I get a text from eldest sailor son saying, " I am on my way"! And sends photos! Onto Japan from Guam.💖. I was so excited for him! Last time he was there was 28 years ago.
    a3ut89vcgt0r.jpeg
    gafp27kea0ms.jpeg
    yrj8ouaq70j6.jpeg
    He's gonna be in ramen and sushi heaven!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,980 Member
    Options
    teklawa1 wrote: »
    Vicki thinking of you and Jake. So sorry and know you and DH will miss him.

Ninja, lots to deal with and you have come into a very supportive group. Think with all on your plate it's most important to be patient and gentle with yourself.

KJ Kelly. Enjoy your week off. Just loved "the tomato". Those kids are so lucky with the variety of activities they get to do while they are with you.

My oldest son will be here about midnight tonight. No planes could land in my youngest son's village. Kev was lucky the jet could land in Kotzebue. Winds were gusting over 50mph and not expected to diminish until tomorrow. Spring weather is crazy on the Bering coast. So Kevin will be here late tonight and stay until midday Sunday. Kris hopes to come another weekend. I am anxious to get a Kevin hug and spend time with him. I'll look forward to when Kris can come.

I'm leaving goals for another time. Right now feels like my goal is to eat and drink fluids and walk Ella.. just basically keeping my head above water. This is so hard but now I've made it a week and next week will be busy with paperwork and getting accounts put into my name etc.

Betsy in NW WA

I am sorry Kris's plans got changed but now you can really have time with Kevin and then look forward to when Kris does get to come visit. That helped mom out when some family couldn't come for the celebration of life. Gave her something to really look forward to.- we did a mini family reunion a few months later(after all the calls/cards had stopped coming for her)
  • Machka9
    edited April 2022
    Options
    This past week was a rough one for me.
    VERY, VERY, VERY busy with a migraine in the middle.
    This weekend we're not doing much. :heart:

04gnthycd61o.png

(That should be a black cat sitting next to "me" in the picture. :) )

c8atsk9i2vlp.png

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Machka in Oz

If you're fairly new to this thread, you might wonder about my signature: Machka in Oz.

Machka is a nickname I've had since about 2001.

I had separated from my husband in 1999 and was looking for a new identity.
    In late 2001, I burned my left foot to the bone and while I was recovering my supervisor brought me some Bicycling magazines, knowing how much I loved cycling. In them, I discovered cycling forums so when I started communicating on cycling forums, I needed a name.
    My ancestral background is Serbian (and German and English) and I love cats. Machka (mačka) is the Serbo-Croatian word for female cat. At it happens, it also contains letter combinations in my real name.
    So I've been Machka for 21 years.

I met my husband on a cycling forum, and then a bit later in person on a long, long bicycle ride in 2003 in France. We met in person because he took a chance and called out the name Machka when he saw me walking through a dining hall toward the end of that ride. He will call me by my real name too, but he often calls me Machka. :heart:

And Oz? That's Australia. :)

I am Canadian. My husband is Australian. As I mentioned, we met in France. Then we got to know each other in various places around the world at cycling events. We even included cycling on our wedding day in 2008. In 2009, I moved to Australia to live with him and have been with him since.

Machka in Oz

ihvlhnrnkwde.png

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Options
    Speaking of preparations (as several of you have been recently) ...

In the past couple weeks, I've created a spreadsheet and have listed everything where money is coming in and going out.

I've indicated if the payments are weekly, monthly, quarterly, annually and have totalled them.

I've actually gone in and first made sure I still had access to each one, then updated contact details. In one case, I was on the phone for half an hour with a place in Canada late one night because that was their business hours. They were really nice but it did make for a late night for me.

The process was very time consuming, and I only did it at the prompting of our lawyers, but it was worth it.

I do want to go through it again and make sure that both my and my husband's phone numbers and emails are on everything. I started doing that about halfway through and then realised that I should have been doing it from the beginning. But I'll give it a rest for right now and go through it again in a couple months. At least the details which are there are up to date.

Machka in Oz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbara — I have a gimpy knee, too. I hope & pray that we both get better soon. 🙏🏻

Our daughter has been a Godsend, but she will be flying home soon. She plans to come back with her daughter. Hazel is an amazing girl. I am not sure when they will be back. Whenever it is, I will appreciate them coming. ❤️
  • Machka9
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Barbara — I have a gimpy knee, too. I hope & pray that we both get better soon. 🙏🏻

Our daughter has been a Godsend, but she will be flying home soon. She plans to come back with her daughter. Hazel is an amazing girl. I am not sure when they will be back. Whenever it is, I will appreciate them coming. ❤️

Have you and your daughter been to your doctor yet?

You are sounding better but it is probably good to do that, with your daughter, before she leaves.

M in Oz
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,504 Member
    Options
    Accountability:
    Chose well: Joe, readings, BP, 12 mins T’ai Chi, legs up the wall, steps >7400, CI<CO, CI<250<CO,
    Bonus: 12 mins grooming T, call vet to make well pet appointment, call shelter about heartworm and flea meds, stroll chat with D, Grocery Outlet, Freddie’s.
    Just one thing: bupkes.
    Workin’ on it: 142.6, H20x4, active :
    1: Commit to being more active this month, starting today. Truth this. At least 30 mins walking EVERY day.
    2: Spend as much time as possible outdoors today.

Off to a good start with steps, CICO even a little morning activity and legs up the wall. Play training won’t be the concentrated 5 mins at a time, but integrating throughout the day. Gino already sits like a champ, so we’re working on come, down and STAY. Ashamed to be so wimpy about our blustery winds. Pooped out on dog group Wednesday due to 35mph gusts, then today chickened out on the walk to Chetco Point when I felt the winds pushing me toward the cliff’s edge. Fortunately Azalea Park was sheltered and pleasant.

Lisa, in the past our rescues’ names have been so just awful we’ve changed them soon as we got to know their personalities. So far, Gino, is Gino and will likely continue to be. He’s a happy go lucky puppy until a deer comes up the drive or a car goes by the road. Then he’s all business schnauzer-guard. Pack is settling in despite Tumble’s continued grumbles. Thanks for the tornado map, the visual really helps! Your home sounds like it suits you both to a T.
    KJ enjoy your rest. If it was me, I’d nap and read rather than do taxes and bills, just sayin’. ;)
    Heather, Ginny, Vicki, s s snow? :noway:
    Ninja it IS a lot to get to know all of us. Take your time, we were all new once. ((hugs)) for all the grief and dislocation. To your goals I’d add being patient and gentle with yourself. ((hugs))
    Annie thanks! Sometimes it seems Gino brings Joe's and my heart dogs (Blackie, Jocko, Robby/General Lee, Scooter) back to us. Feels right as he’s may be our last new dog. Good “resist the cookies” with protein strategy. Knee exercises work, but then I feel better and “forget” to do them, then get reminded… ;)
    Vicki (((hugs))) so very hardest thing to do. Kindest but damn it hurts.
    Rebecca we love the Franz 24 organic grain and seed bread, especially the thin sliced, also the whole wheat. Thanks for the collagen reminder, might help my ageing ligaments. :love: the china collage.
    Betsy “…come back as a dog” sounds like heaven to me ;) ((hugs)) held extra long. Isn’t it strange how time compresses and stretches when we’re grieving? Just eating and drinking fluids and walking Ella sounds perfect to me. Like you said to Ninja, be kind and patient with yourself. ((hugs))
    Michele, love the two cats’ happy ending stories. We are blessed to have a no kill shelter here. They’ve recently taken in a bunch from high kill shelters in TX. Back in Idaho, the humane society frequently received dogs from over full shelters in So. Calif. These networks of shelters and their volunteers are true angels.
    Dang, Machka, you have unmasked me! :love: Rhody.
    Katla do you do any exercises for your knee? I’m reminded that they work, only if I do them ;}

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    2022: Be still and listen.
    9t3jkbnhrfio.gif

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting us off Barbie...

Michèle I'm sorry about LOKI :'(