WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2022

Options

Replies

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,481 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    TOTALLY blanked out that it was April 1st yesterday and posted on the old thread... smh.

Here's what I said...Rebecca, you and Athena are two peas!
    "Like a fish in a shark tank!" That's hilarious. I just can't get over that map. It's amazing. My FIL was a Chief too. God Bless him. Daddy served in the Navy as well. Cousin retired as an Army officer. Bro is a Marine vet and my uncle was one of the Chosin Few. Still gives me chills just typing that one. Anne thought about the Navy, but went to visit ALL of the recruiters, completely on her own and let them sell her. She made her own decision with our blessing.

Have a wonderful weekend, y'all! Hopefully we're looking at warming up a bit here.

So... now that I've caught up, WHEW! That was a lot of skimming... I'm sure I missed a BUNCH! Sorry. Love and hugs and kisses.

Welcome to all the NEWBIES and "oldies" coming back. LOL

Isn't that interesting, Betsy, that you feel better having Jack "home" again with you. Lacy said that too. We did not understand that, make no mistake. You have to go through it, I'm sure. But she held onto the box for a long while. Now, it just sits in her home. Her current husband is very understanding and Shawn's family adores Nick. Thankfully everyone gets along.

Machka!!! That is so cool! Thank you for sharing. I've always wondered about your name, but simply assumed that it was an ethnic or screen name. Do you mind me asking what your "other life" name was? I'm not coming up with an anagram for Machka.

Back to just hanging in MN, Carla]

Carla-

Well today is a bright blue crisp day on the island!😁💖
    You come from quite a military family! My dad was in Navy but got out on a disability. Actually he was home on leave during WWII, and found out his parents were divorcing. He put his hand thru a back kitchen door in frustration. So he got out and was paid like $5 every month for his injuries. My FIL was in the Army but he passed when my husband was 13 yrs old, so I never met him.
    aj8rlrdkhu0f.jpg
    346bhgs4t149.jpg
    His dad looks a lot like his son, my husband!
    5zq2qydjebyb.jpg
    Hugs!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    WA

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,228 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Michele: You’re doing well on the jewellery. Specsavers in the UK have a facility on their website where you can try on glasses. You take a screenshot of your face and then you pick the frames and it shows you what they look like. I’m not sure if you have the same firm in the states though
    Katla: It’s Good that your daughter is taking so much care in organising things for you. It certainly takes a load off your mind when that happens.
    Beth: It sounds like you’re thinking ahead on the edging in place. We could live on our ground floor if necessary. However I think the garden might get to be too much for us eventually, so we may have to pay someone to do that.

🥳🎉 Cheers to those celebrating.
    Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.
    🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,481 Member
    Options
    Beth near Buffalo-, thanks, I think so too! Hopefully she'll be more outdoorsy than me, I was kind of paranoid about outside, bugs etc. Of course it didn't help that no one really explained to me the way the world worked. When it rained, worms would appear all over the ground. No one explained that they came from the ground, so my perception was they fell from the sky. Silly me! I would check each corner of my room ceiling for spiders, every single night! Still do for the most part. The other morning a quite large spider had made it to the ceiling of our dining room. So I stared at it, and yelled for Lee to come down! So I instructed him to get the broom and shoo it to the middle of the ceiling, not scare it toward the bookshelves, where it would just hide. He came with the broom, but no wad of paper towel to kill it! I was like, are you crazy? You need to get your stuff together! He just sighes when I show my paranoid tendencies. If it wasn't for me he'd be shooing it, then trying to figure out where it went while he went to get a wad of tissue! 🙃😂😂
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,067 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies!

I did my dumbbells, which is good because I skipped last time when I had a guest. Instead of taking Sunday off, I should do something tomorrow.

My mother is being difficult; taking her pills without me. She will get a cheap thrill of independence for a bit, then give it up.

Annie in Delaware
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,734 Member
    Options
    Well I met my friends for dinner at the local restaurant it was loud but had a nice time..going to see the ladies tomorrow at a baby shower.
    Carla- my moms brother my uncle Winslow was also one of the Chosin few ..
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,066 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,941 Member
    Options
    Beth near Buffalo-, thanks, I think so too! Hopefully she'll be more outdoorsy than me, I was kind of paranoid about outside, bugs etc. Of course it didn't help that no one really explained to me the way the world worked. When it rained, worms would appear all over the ground. No one explained that they came from the ground, so my perception was they fell from the sky. Silly me! I would check each corner of my room ceiling for spiders, every single night! Still do for the most part. The other morning a quite large spider had made it to the ceiling of our dining room. So I stared at it, and yelled for Lee to come down! So I instructed him to get the broom and shoo it to the middle of the ceiling, not scare it toward the bookshelves, where it would just hide. He came with the broom, but no wad of paper towel to kill it! I was like, are you crazy? You need to get your stuff together! He just sighes when I show my paranoid tendencies. If it wasn't for me he'd be shooing it, then trying to figure out where it went while he went to get a wad of tissue! 🙃😂😂
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

If they are big or in the bedroom, I catch the spiders here, and put them outside. :)

If they are small or not in the bedroom, I usually just let them be.

However, if a mom lays eggs, I might get rid of those and if they've hatched and I've got a wall of teensy tiny spiders, I've given them a spray. I don't mind spiders but prefer to keep the numbers down.

There are a lot of spiders here.

Scorpions, on the other hand, disturb me.

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    edited April 2022
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    M – my main criteria when we bought this house was that all the living area had to be on one floor. We told the realtor that if it wasn’t, don’t even show us the house. That’s a definite deal breaker. The house we have does have two floors, but downstairs is a party room, a game room, another bathroom, a bedroom, and my exercise room. So, really, I don’t HAVE to go down there. A while ago when I broke my foot, I didn’t go down the stairs. The worst that happened was that it got dusty. But all the living area is on the one floor. When Vince had the tibial plateau fracture and couldn’t go up and down the stairs to our bedroom or the main bath, that’s what absolutely convinced me to have all the living area on one floor
    Michele NC

Our "basement" is actually a single vehicle garage and a bit of storage. We've converted it into an exercise area with a bit of storage.

Our house is 1140 sq feet plus about half that again in the "basement".

bwcetc wrote: »

Aging in Place ... well, as many of you know, my parents were living in a house with multiple sets of stairs and that all came quickly to an end in December when we hurriedly moved them into an assisted living facility with enhanced care. They were not open to changes over the years and because they waited until the last minute, were unable to really take part in the decisions regarding their home and possessions. My husband and I own a "ranch-style" home (one level) that we adapted to meet the needs of my son with disabilities (ramp from the garage so no steps, wheel-in shower, widened doorways, ceiling mounted lift equipment, etc). Besides the laundry currently in the basement (that was originally on the first level and moved to accommodate a jetted tub for my son) which we will eventually return to the first level, we can stay in this house as long as we're not addled. We'll need to hire people to take over jobs like the lawn and snow removal as we age, but that's a small price compared to the fees at an assisted living facility.

Unexpected Home Repairs ...Homes and other black holes. Home ownership is expensive. Period. Something always needs done. Right now we have a septic system that is failing and this really upsets me as it was completely replaced 12 years ago and should have lasted a lot longer than this. The company that installed the new system is no longer in business. No surprise there. We've had a supposedly reputable company give us an estimate. Still waiting on that. My husband and I sat down this morning listing everything that needs addressed to maintain this house if we plan to age in place. The list is daunting and will be pricey. After fixing the septic, we will need new drainage along the side yard (water came in on that side for the first time ever a few weeks ago), a new roof, new driveway, painting (if not new siding) and miscellaneous repairs. Even if we were to consider moving, these things would need to be done before selling.

Beth near Buffalo

I have never owned a house. To me, the idea of owning a house would mean that I was tied down to one part of the world and would have to be responsible for all the repairs and things you've mentioned. So I've always rented. There is a feeling of freedom to rent. :)

It's possible we may rent again when we move from here.

However, in a few years I like the idea of using my "first time buyer" status to buy a place in a "retirement/lifestyle/55+ village". My parents own such a place in Canada, and it's nice. Decent size but not huge. No basement. Flat, easy maintenance yard with some yardwork taken care of by the organisation. Within walking distance of shops. Easy access to good cycling.

Machka in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,584 Member
    Options
    Lll
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    Well they got our water running again yesterday. Yay! I never realize how much I use it until I don't have any.

Ran several errands today with DD and we finished the jigsaw puzzle we bought last weekend. It turned out to be a nice day so we put horses out in the front pasture. Hopefully we will have some nice days this week and I can get the pastures sprayed with weed and feed. Need to get the geraniums planted and the hydranges repotted. Spring seems to have sprung here.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,769 Member
    Options
    I’ve been reading along not making any notes.

Annie - your Mom taking her meds reminds me of my Mom. Mom is diabetic so she could have given herself too much insulin easily. My brother started keeping it all at his house and would go give her the shots throughout the day. One day he walked into his own house for lunch and found my mother there giving herself her needles. After that he locked them up in a little fire safe box he had.
    She was unhappy with him and thought he was trying to treat her like a child. She would call me to complain, I would just tell her he was helping her and trying to keep her safe. She would say she understood, but then would call my best friends mom to complain to her. She reiterated our mantra.

It’s tough.
    Tracey
  • Machka9
    Options
    TOTALLY blanked out that it was April 1st yesterday and posted on the old thread... smh.

Here's what I said...Rebecca, you and Athena are two peas!
    "Like a fish in a shark tank!" That's hilarious. I just can't get over that map. It's amazing. My FIL was a Chief too. God Bless him. Daddy served in the Navy as well. Cousin retired as an Army officer. Bro is a Marine vet and my uncle was one of the Chosin Few. Still gives me chills just typing that one. Anne thought about the Navy, but went to visit ALL of the recruiters, completely on her own and let them sell her. She made her own decision with our blessing.

Have a wonderful weekend, y'all! Hopefully we're looking at warming up a bit here.

So... now that I've caught up, WHEW! That was a lot of skimming... I'm sure I missed a BUNCH! Sorry. Love and hugs and kisses.

Welcome to all the NEWBIES and "oldies" coming back. LOL

Isn't that interesting, Betsy, that you feel better having Jack "home" again with you. Lacy said that too. We did not understand that, make no mistake. You have to go through it, I'm sure. But she held onto the box for a long while. Now, it just sits in her home. Her current husband is very understanding and Shawn's family adores Nick. Thankfully everyone gets along.

Machka!!! That is so cool! Thank you for sharing. I've always wondered about your name, but simply assumed that it was an ethnic or screen name. Do you mind me asking what your "other life" name was? I'm not coming up with an anagram for Machka.

Back to just hanging in MN, Carla

It's not an anogram, it's just that there are letters from my whole name in there.

For example, my last name ends in č (or ch) like many Serbian names do and mačka contains č (or ch).

Machka in Oz
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,133 Member
    Options
    <3
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Barbie, thank you for getting us off on the right foot yet again! So nice to have a clean slate.

Pip, I'm not quite ready for the boot, but keep it handy! lol

I started out on Monday really well, and did well til Friday when the bus wheels got a little wobbly, today they kind of fell off a bit, but its done and I'm not going to beat myself up about it, I'm just going to put on my big girl panties and get back at it tomorrow. I don't work tomorrow, it's always easier to get a workout in if I don't have to go to work. I am so looking forward to retirement! Only 19 weeks to go but who's counting! Well actually, I'm counting! lol

Looks like our tv has decided to pack it up. We have had it for 15-20 years, so I guess it's done its time. Now hubby can get a larger one.... I'm happy with the one we have, and I'm the one who watches it the most, but I won't argue with him. They've come down in price so much in the last few years!

I know there was more I wanted to say, but once again it's late and I really need to go to bed!
    Hugs for those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!

Evelyn, on very springlike Vancouver Island
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    hi all,
    looks like yesterday's down was fluctuation; :/
    spent about 35-40 slow on stationary bike this morning while watching SNL clips (some good clips, some lame, IMHO).
    Danced for a while yesterday evening at home.
    I used to go to dance classes weekly some years ago, and some weekend and weeklong workshops, certainly burning off some C. It felt pretty good.

Weight distribution
    No surprise for our age, I have really gained around the middle.
    In old days I'd gain on thighs, calves, butt, in face and neck, probably a bit everywhere.
    Now most seems to be in the torso, mostly waist also bust though, which is an okay part).
    I used to have "normal" bust, not big and not small, I was fine with it. Then when losing weight in later life they got on the small side, which I don't mind but a bit hangy, since they had been bigger, but still not a big deal. Not looking for bigger bust but if I'm going to have gained elsewhere at least that balances it out a bit.

I was glad to dance yesterday. I keep endeavouring to lose. To be continued.

Sunny unseasonably cold day today, after snowy, wintery Friday.

Wishing good day to all.
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    HEATHER I visited Hove & Brighton once about 10 years ago, staying w friends. It was a blustery, cool, sunny day one of the days, and I walked from Hove to Brighton, and there was that run that you have today. Brighton was really charming with all the alternative-ish, arty, vegetarian-y shops and places.