Body recomp calories

jrish1
jrish1 Posts: 1 Member
edited April 2022 in Getting Started
Hey, I really need help calculating my calories for a body recomp. I’m 5’3, 18, and would be doing 2x a week with weights exercises. I’m just not sure how many calories and protein I should be eating on rest days and workout days. Thanks!

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,770 Member
    You may find the answer, or at least some suggestions, in this thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

The standard definition for recomposition is increasing lean mass and reducing fat mass, while staying at/near constant body weight, so "maintenance calories" would be the answer. MFP will give you a starting estimate for that, then you stick with it for a couple of months and see if your weight is stable. (If adult, female, as I'm guessing you are, you want to compare body weight at the same relative point in at least two different menstrual cycles, maybe more, to decide whether you're gaining/losing/maintaining weight).

I think a bigger deal may be your strength program . . . two days a week can be a way to ease into strength training, but progress is likely to be slow at 2 days/week, even with a good program. Generally, I'd expect 3 days/week to be better. Program choice also matters: Better to go with a well-designed one others have found successful, vs. just going to the gym and doing stuff.

If - as your tags suggest - you're vegetarian, I'd suggest you err on the high side of protein intake ranges. (I've been vegetarian for 47+ years, FWIW.)