Anxiety

Options
Anyone else suffer from anxiety and depression? Need some accountability Partners to stay motivated. Determined to lose weight and exercise more, but anxiety keeps getting in the way.

Replies

• JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    Options
    I've dealt depression & anxiety most of my life (on & off a bunch of different RX's throughout the years etc)...for me, exercising (lifting weights, specifically) helps a lot. Training obviously doesn't "fix" the problem(s), but at least can be counted on to provide a brief respite on even the worst days.
  • MariaTheGhoul
    MariaTheGhoul Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    *waves* Hello! I have anxiety and depression! I'm always willing to send funny memes or talk about how bad a day was :)
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Not all of this is directly related to my anxiety/depression but, generally, these are some lifestyle things I've tried to adopt that help me feel pretty good most of the time: CBT, no alcohol, limited caffeine intake, working out regularly (run/swim/or lift), keeping on a schedule, getting some sun, eating well and on a routine, using my to-do list, meditation, and mindfulness practice (breathing). I often supplement L-theanine in daytime. No caffeine after 3PM. 3mg of melatonin at 8:30 PM if trouble sleeping or Indica occasionally to relax. I take a low-dose antidepressant and usually feel good unless I start sliding on some of these things-especially more than a few days without a workout or getting wildly off my wake/sleep routine. YMMV.
  • LilithReigns
    LilithReigns Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    hiya, I have an anxiety disorder so completely understand. It took me months to figure out how to work with it in order to exercise and start making better decisions for me.

I wont lie to you, if your anxiety is extreme therapy does help and I would even recommend it. One thing that helped me the most was developing a routine, think about things that would help you in the morning and during your day. For example I prep food in advance the night before so I can get more sleep in the mornings before my workout, I also do one small task a day to help with the upkeep of my home (bouts of depression can make managing hard this helps), before bed I journal, take a hot bath, and enjoy a cup of tea it helps me to relax and lets my body know its time to rest.

anxiety can also be caused by outside factors...work, friends, family, events so sometimes taking a moment to make a schedule and even opt out of certain gatherings can be helpful. Example: going to big gatherings centered around food triggers my anxiety so sometimes I opt out of going or I eat in advance so I don't feel hungry while attending which helps with my reasoning on grabbing certain foods I know I don't need.

I hope this helps, I am always looking for like minded friends and support so feel free to add me!
  • Chef_Chickpea
    Chef_Chickpea Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have depression and anxiety disorders. Would love to be friends!
  • beepdot
    beepdot Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I don't have depression but have had anxiety. I'm also a researcher by trade, so I looked into solutions with some evidence behind them (apart from SSRIs and Benzos -- which are standard pharmaceutical medications).

1) Deep breathing is useful. Look up deep breathing exercises, and do them in the morning.

2) Most 'natural' anxiety supplements do not work -- but two do sort of work:

- First, try L-Theanine. This is an amino acid found in green tea. You can buy this at Whole Foods/Amazon. There are some good studies that show it reduces anxiety. I recommend the Nootropics Depot brand on Amazon and I actually take this literally every day.
    - The other is actually lavender! But not essential oils/aromatherapy. You have to buy the softgel capsules. I recommend the Nature's Way brand on Amazon.

3) I would recommend getting a therapist. Many are covered by health insurance. Somebody else mentioned CBT, which is a kind of therapy. I found it really useful (after trying a different kind of therapy). Relative to other therapies, it seems really solution-oriented.

4) Before seeing a therapist, check out a book called Chatter. It is written by a psychologist, summarizing some of the psychological tools that you would learn CBT. I 100% recommend it. And I would estimate that just reading and internalizing that book would get you like 20% of the benefits of actual CBT therapy.
  • WorkingonME80
    WorkingonME80 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues! They add an extra level of difficulty for my weight loss. I would love to be buds on here. 🙂
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me, I go through phases of anxiety - exercise that is regular and sustainable is essential for me. It helps keep me going and keeps anxiety (and diet) under control. The same is true for good sleep - neither of these things are easy when things are difficult though! When I haven't been able to exercise due to severe anxiety, I've walked listening to music instead, and also swam as I've always found that relaxing. I see exercise as part of the management/treatment and stopping tends to make things worse!
  • Oldmfp
    Oldmfp Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Ur welcomed to add me. I also get anxiety constantly and this has affected my weightloss but I pray and also keeping track of eating here has helped me change habits slowly.
  • Gym_rat35
    Gym_rat35 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Let’s chat, I have some tips and and experience in this arena unfortunately.
  • TxDesertFox
    TxDesertFox Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with GA over a decade ago. But I've dealt with anxiety my whole life. The funny part is that I was diagnosed in my late 20s when I had it better managed. lol And honestly, only got diagnosed because of my high stressed job so I spoke with my doctor. We tried a more natural route first, before I went on medication. I was only it until about three, maybe four years ago. I made a career change and found I was able to manage my anxiety with exercise. But running seems to work best for me. Feel free to add me. I log pretty consistently just not great with the social interaction as I work 60+ hours a week.
  • bennyg1973
    bennyg1973 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of work-related (mostly) and generalized anxiety too. I think the best approach I've taken is to journal. Write down what is going through your mind when you feel the emotion and realize that thoughts lead to feelings that lead to behavior. If you carry that journal with you, it can be very beneficial. Then, after say a week, look at the brief notes you made and look for a pattern. What is the common trigger?

Counseling is a great option to gain coping skills to deal with any "trigger". It could be unresolved worries, environmental or physically instigated. Also, talk to your doctor so they are in the loop, not that meds are always the answer, but so they are aware.

One approach I am taking, after realizing work is the source, is analyzing why those triggers are threatening to me. What am I afraid of and what is the worst that can happen? What will I do if something happens? Having a game plan can be very helpful!

I hope this helps! Exercise is a big release as is breathing and meditation too!

Ben
  • Seansamz
    Seansamz Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I’ve struggled for sure! I don’t have the answers but am thankful for the insight shared here. Thank you. Happy to help in whatever way I can.
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Anxiety and depression are medical conditions that may have environmental triggers. They’re like other illnesses in that sometimes environmental changes help control the brain chemistry problem that is causing the mental illness. Other times that’s not enough and medication is part of the solution. Unfortunately shame and stigma affect how people perceive brain chemistry disorders, keeping them from getting the medical help they need . National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) is a good resource.