WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2022

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,708 Member
    Options
    Thanks Kim you are a peach.. yes Carmine is just a very very angry depressed 14 yr old ,hormones running amuck and alot of the friends doing the trans thing also so i dont know if its a true identity thing or its peer thing.. but its horrible to see.. as a child a beautiful smile and laughing eyes,now not even a smirk ,no drugs or drinking ,just holes up in the bedroom .has electric guitar lessons once a week. His idea is going to be a rock star and travel the world making big bucks playing guitar.. well i hope it happens but has only started playing the last 6-8 months.
    Kyle takes her to 6 flags and they do the rides together and stuff and they go to concerts together honestly both Kyle and Tracy are trying all they can to include Carmine in everything ..
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Today is barely started & I am already irritated by telephone calls aimed at selling me junk. :grumble: I’m considering a loud noisemaker followed by hanging up. Might be able to get by with hanging up and no noisemaker. Suggestions?
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,955 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Today is barely started & I am already irritated by telephone calls aimed at selling me junk. :grumble: I’m considering a loud noisemaker followed by hanging up. Might be able to get by with hanging up and no noisemaker. Suggestions?

when I was taking care of the triplets, I would let them answer the phone(about 2-3yrs old and up)when I knew it was telemarkerters . The kids loved getting to talk, always wanted a turn, and surprisingly, I stopped getting calls for quite a while after that. Did that with Ezie too when she was a little younger. Now I just ignore if it says "out of the area"
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,217 Member
    Options
    Allie - I feel your pain in your love for Carmine. As Kim said, the suffering they go through is acute. Everyone needs a 'tribe' to identify with. I spend a great deal of time listening to podcasts, videos, Instagram etc, that help me to know I am not alone. Life would be very lonely without like-minded people. I hope Carmine has Internet access, if their phone has been confiscated. Many of the people I follow are gay, bi, non-binary, etc etc and it is inspiring to listen to them. I am straight, but spent much of my life deeply troubled and depressed. I love to hear from people who have surmounted huge odds of whatever kind. As Rebecca said, mentors are vital. Surmounting cultural bias is a hard road. Finding who we really are is a life's work.
    I can only imagine how hard it is to witness your grandchild's misery. <3 I think it is important for you to gen up on the subject and get to know the culture. It may, just may, help them.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,554 Member
    Options
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,790 Member
    Options
    Barbara--We talked about taking the bike, but the weather is so changeable I do not want to get stuck somewhere because of bad weather. So not sure what we are doing right now. A lot depends on the jury duty and how DH is feeling.

Tracey--Sounds like a good date night. Hope you had a great time.

Katla--Sounds wonderful sitting and watching the birds and the boats. Think I would enjoy that.

Lanette--sending hugs and prayers. That book sounds like it would be a help to a lot of people.

Annie--Is there anyone else that could check on your mom so you could be gone overnight?
    I loved watching HE Haw growing up and still watch it when it is on.

Heather--Edie did great on the cake, those children are growing up so fast. Looks like a great time and thanks for sharing the pictures.

Kylia--So sorry to hear about your accident. So glad no one was hurt or any damage. I agree you had an angel watching over you.

Flea--Great pictures, thanks for sharing, and congrats on the climb.

Allie--I hope you can find the help you need for DGC soon. I remember when our oldest was about 14-15 he became obsessed with death. We ended up having him EPC'd for 3 days for evaluation. It was scary , but the best thing at the time.

Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    :)
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,130 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,

This is really long, but I felt like the differences between how the country’s handle medical care was making for some confusion. In the US this is a political thing, in this post I tried to make it factual and not political. So please accept my apologies if it reads political. I honestly tried to write this as an educational post.

Regarding help with caregiving and with mental health help – Some of you living outside of the US have made comments about all the options available at a free or financially accessible rate. Inside the US it is not the same, we have competent Mental Health professionals, and competent caregiving staff at all levels of care needed.

However due to the lack of a medical/mental health plan for all citizens, there is no system to support making those professionals available to everyone. Unlike in countries where the government provides health care, USA citizens pay for it ourselves. Some just pay as you get service, some folks have insurance which is partially/wholly paid for by the company/agency that they are currently working for or as a part of a retirement plan from their previous employer. Some folks buy their insurance on the open market, some folks buy their insurance with financial support from their local state or the federal government. Some served in the military and get their health care from a military agency (VA). Because of this mixture of how medical/mental health is paid for there is no set of default available services. Also because of this set up the individual plans for insurance and what is covered can change every year. Just based on what the organization helping pay for your service decides to do.

If you can pay enough all of it is available. But for example my insurance would not cover any “care support” in my home at all for any reason, but a neighbor gets in home Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy and a couple of hours a week for things like showering/light housekeeping. She retired from an agency that included a very comprehensive health care plan for their retirees. And although I did not retire from my last employer the retirement benefits included extending your health care coverage to the end of the month you retired in (ie: retire on the 2nd of the month you are covered to the 30/31; retire on the 28th you are covered to the 30/31) but again this is totally what ever the company you retired from decided to offer.

So finding caring help for Annies parents, or counseling help for Allie’s grandchild could be very expensive and time consuming for the family or super easy depending on Annie’s parents insurance or Allie’s DD and DSIL’s insurance.

Sending love to all.

Kim in N. California

Very similar here. Finding caring help or counselling help is extremely complicated, time- consuming and/or expensive even with the health insurance we pay for or schemes we may become part of (i.e. NDIS). Caring help or counselling help isn't included in our "medicare".

In my spare time, I am one of many pushing for a change to the system(s). I just sent something off about that on the weekend again, too.

Thankfully there are associations we can join for low prices like our local brain injury association where we can get a little support and some information. We attend once-a-month peer group meetings which have been good for the most part.

And there is the internet for more information and for online forums etc. (similar to this one).
    This is Carer Gateway with some info, forums etc: https://www.carergateway.gov.au/
    This is Disability Gateway: https://www.disabilitygateway.gov.au/

I'm also a course-taker. When I want to learn something, I'll sign up for a course ... and also do a lot of research on my own.

But that's why I am going it alone. I've looked into support and it is just too complicated or expensive. It's quicker and easier to do my own vacuuming than it is to get help!!

However, if a person has time to wade through what's out there, I've been told there is help available ... and of course, apparently the more money you throw at it, the better the help.

M in Oz
  • strongerfaith
    strongerfaith Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    @grandmallie I will pray for your granddaughter. Seems like she is confused and might be caught in the middle?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »

I don't answer the phone unless I know who it is.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,708 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies for all your love and suggestions .. my DD and DSIL have tried almost everything, I sure wish his insurance covered mental health coverage..
    Carmine did go to a friends after school which is a good thing..
    Katla- i dont answer either if its important they will leave a message.If your going to answer the phone i say get a mini airhorn lol.
    I go for a physical tomorrow afternoon...writing a list of questions to ask..
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,554 Member
    Options
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,457 Member
    Options
    I hope you get your bed quick Allie!!!
    Hugs!