WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2022

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Tracey - HUGS. I really hope something clicks for you in the work sphere soon. Toxic environments are so very bad for us.
    The person I know who is very good at making changes when things aren't right, is my DDIL. When I first knew her, I thought it was odd how much she changed things over. I think a lot of us have been brought up to put up with things and that 'quitting' is a sign of weakness. I think my son, her husband, was like that. She has taught him, and me, that it is OK to change things if they don't work out, and there is no shame in that. It's a great lesson and I admire her for it. She tries something, then reassesses, and it It's not right, out it goes. She has encouraged my son to change jobs three times to find a job that's right for him, taking a big risk. I find it scary, but it has worked. The kids try out different sports etc. She is very good at dismissing 'sunk cost' and switching focus.

Good luck!

Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I've not been one to put up with things in the work world. If I really don't like it, there will be something better out there. :)

Lisa - I am not someone that normally looks for work when I’m employed. I really dislike the interview process and don’t do well at them. My lack of wanting to go through that process has probably hurt me a lot through the years.

Hopefully something changes soon.
    Tracey in Edmonton

If I'm all right where I am and not feeling restless, I won't look for work while employed. But if I'm at all restless, I will.

Interviews aren't my favourite thing either. 3 people staring at you and firing off complicated questions ... not my idea of fun. Usually. Between October and December last year I had 4 interviews and I enjoyed 2 of them!!!

M in Oz
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Lanette,

I had to smile when I read that your diagnosis was "non-displaced toe fracture". There is no way that fracture was initially non-displaced, because it was sticking out at a 90 degree angle immediately after you stubbed it! You apparently (expertly) reduced your fracture when you straightened your toe, resulting in such good alignment that the radiologist read the film as non-displaced. You're a pro! :D

Karen in Virginia,

Karen! I know, right? Thank you!!

Since it was sticking out funny I thought I'd just dislocated it. I heard it "crack" a couple times when I was setting it straight, thought it was just popping back in the joint or whatever it does. Then I fished out the Rock tape and boom, Bob's your uncle.

The doc said basically stay off the foot as much as possible for 2 weeks and then it would start to heal. I'm surprised there wasn't much bruising and it didn't swell that much. Must have been all the icing and elevation.

I didn't have much luck shoe shopping. I did buy some heavy duty work boots, they didn't pinch, but they aren't going to work so I'm taking them back. Too heavy and my foot slips around. I think I aggravated it when I tried to slip my foot into a size too small.

Maybe something like extra wide saddle shoes would work. Sigh. Honestly, there's hardly any pain when I go around the house in my sockfeet, tootsies all taped up. I'm going to check at Walmart and see if they have those flat slippers with velcro fasteners. I think the tape is doing the main support right now anyhow.

Lanette B)
    Starting to feel queasy that I apparently reset my broken pinky toe bone! :p

I am supposed to wear stiff-soled shoes so I go around bending shoes in the store. If they bend, they are a "no".

But I have discovered that men's shoes are quite comfortable. In European sizing I wear a 39 and that carries through to men's. In Australian sizing I wear a men's 6 which is the smallest men's size or largest youth size. Discovering that expanded my footwear options. :)

M in Oz

Machka - Thanks for the tip, I'll start bending them when I shop. Men's department, here I come!

By the way, would you mind posting photos of the men's shoes with stiff soles you are getting? Just so I get an idea of what to look for ;)

Lanette B)

I wanted these ... but couldn't get them in a 39/6.

7dpg25k4q3yl.png
    https://www.rivers.com.au/Product/Detail?CategoryId=75270&ProductId=433442&Colour=black

I ended up getting these a couple weeks ago. They're actually women's! But had enough room for me.

hnlhdz5dlavk.png
    https://www.rivers.com.au/Product/Detail?CategoryId=75263&ProductId=638691&Colour=grey-lemon

I tried on a pair similar to these which I really liked, and should have got. But when I decided I did like them, they were sold out of 39/6.

n4eflcoktg5z.png

I've been wearing pairs like the two brownish ones for some time, but I'm considering the grey pair now.

zd0p0n7dipns.png
    https://www.bigw.com.au/mens-clothing-accessories/mens-shoes/mens-hiking-shoes/c/6615108

I think my next job (start in July) will be more casual and may involve some field work so my hope is that I can wear comfortable shoes!

M in Oz

Machka - Thank you for the photos!

Many years ago, I had a pair similar to these, wore them as "hiking shoes". I will put this style on my shopping list again. For some reason these never entered my mind, probably because I wasn't thinking of getting a men's in a wider size, and they looked at the outset like they would pinch.

I need to be able to put the orthotics in them too.

Looks like I'd wear a Women's 9, Men's 7, EU 40.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Watching Miles and then I think Dan is coming over to get a carry on for his trip..
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    Lanette,

I had to smile when I read that your diagnosis was "non-displaced toe fracture". There is no way that fracture was initially non-displaced, because it was sticking out at a 90 degree angle immediately after you stubbed it! You apparently (expertly) reduced your fracture when you straightened your toe, resulting in such good alignment that the radiologist read the film as non-displaced. You're a pro! :D

Karen in Virginia,

Karen! I know, right? Thank you!!

Since it was sticking out funny I thought I'd just dislocated it. I heard it "crack" a couple times when I was setting it straight, thought it was just popping back in the joint or whatever it does. Then I fished out the Rock tape and boom, Bob's your uncle.

The doc said basically stay off the foot as much as possible for 2 weeks and then it would start to heal. I'm surprised there wasn't much bruising and it didn't swell that much. Must have been all the icing and elevation.

I didn't have much luck shoe shopping. I did buy some heavy duty work boots, they didn't pinch, but they aren't going to work so I'm taking them back. Too heavy and my foot slips around. I think I aggravated it when I tried to slip my foot into a size too small.

Maybe something like extra wide saddle shoes would work. Sigh. Honestly, there's hardly any pain when I go around the house in my sockfeet, tootsies all taped up. I'm going to check at Walmart and see if they have those flat slippers with velcro fasteners. I think the tape is doing the main support right now anyhow.

Lanette B)
    Starting to feel queasy that I apparently reset my broken pinky toe bone! :p

I am supposed to wear stiff-soled shoes so I go around bending shoes in the store. If they bend, they are a "no".

But I have discovered that men's shoes are quite comfortable. In European sizing I wear a 39 and that carries through to men's. In Australian sizing I wear a men's 6 which is the smallest men's size or largest youth size. Discovering that expanded my footwear options. :)

M in Oz

Machka - Thanks for the tip, I'll start bending them when I shop. Men's department, here I come!

By the way, would you mind posting photos of the men's shoes with stiff soles you are getting? Just so I get an idea of what to look for ;)

Lanette B)
    I wanted these ... but couldn't get them in a 39/6.

7dpg25k4q3yl.png
    https://www.rivers.com.au/Product/Detail?CategoryId=75270&ProductId=433442&Colour=black

I ended up getting these a couple weeks ago. They're actually women's! But had enough room for me.

hnlhdz5dlavk.png
    https://www.rivers.com.au/Product/Detail?CategoryId=75263&ProductId=638691&Colour=grey-lemon

I tried on a pair similar to these which I really liked, and should have got. But when I decided I did like them, they were sold out of 39/6.

n4eflcoktg5z.png

I've been wearing pairs like the two brownish ones for some time, but I'm considering the grey pair now.

zd0p0n7dipns.png
    https://www.bigw.com.au/mens-clothing-accessories/mens-shoes/mens-hiking-shoes/c/6615108

I think my next job (start in July) will be more casual and may involve some field work so my hope is that I can wear comfortable shoes!

M in Oz

Machka - Thank you for the photos!

Many years ago, I had a pair similar to these, wore them as "hiking shoes". I will put this style on my shopping list again. For some reason these never entered my mind, probably because I wasn't thinking of getting a men's in a wider size, and they looked at the outset like they would pinch.

I need to be able to put the orthotics in them too.

Looks like I'd wear a Women's 9, Men's 7, EU 40.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

I go with a men's 7 when I want to get my orthotics in - one size bigger than I would otherwise take. That might be something to keep in mind.

They are hiking shoes, but I like them for walking around town or working in the garden. :)

I have weird feet when it comes to finding shoes.

- low ankle bones: This means that I need to try shoes to make sure the edge around the opening doesn't rest under my ankle bones and rub there.
    - very narrow heels: This means that I get blisters very easily because most shoes rub because they're either too loose around my heels or just don't sit right. So I need shoes with laces to ensure the shoe is snug enough my foot stays in place. I also need shoes with a little bit of a heel which seems to take the pressure of the back of the shoe off the back of my heel.
    - advanced arthritis in the joint where my big toe attaches to the foot: this means I need wide toe boxes and stiff soles. Ideally, I should be able to fit my orthotics into most shoes as well.

Shoe shopping is usually rather frustrating for me. Today, for example, I tried on a pair of shoes I liked the look of. They were really comfortable in front, but I suspected I'd end up with blisters in the back. Oh well.

I wish you better luck with finding comfortable shoes! :)

M in Oz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    B)
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    :)
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    B)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,918 Member
    Options
    <3
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    DH’s doctor wants him to go to the hospital to get a photo of his heart. I expect we will try to avoid morning rush & I have my fingers crossed for nothing worrisome.
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Harley and I are sending wags and wishes, Pip!

Men's shoes fit SO MUCH BETTER for my wide feet and they tend to be cheaper a lot of places. BONUS!

Last day of school for the kiddos yesterday so the grands are here today, mon, tues until their summer program starts. I've missed them. But, alas... I still have today to work, so I'm off!

Carla, in MN
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Annie ~ Great Job! Keep up the good work! :)