is this abuse? I think it is!

Options

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    So you're blaming other for his death? That's BS!

Who is feeding him and cleaning up after him? Surely he reached a point where he could not do it for himself?

I saw that program. His wife is an enabler and just as sick as he is. It's like giving money to a drug addict. Not sure if it's technically abuse, but it's definitely not cool. They both need help.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Absolutely NOT. It is NOT abuse by any meaning of the word. Since when did it become the responsibility of others to make sure someone stays healthy? That actually makes me mad that someone would even consider it to be abuse in the first place. Every single person out there, including myself, is responsible for their own decisions. I needed to lose weight and finally stopped telling myself I was going to and actually did something about it. No one is here holding my hand, making sure that I don't go over my calories, or making sure that I eat better than I did before...I am.

I'm not trying to insult the poster, but if you seriously think that this guy was abused, because someone didn't make him lose his weight, then I would be scared to imagine what kind of other opinions you harbor toward given situations. That's part of the problem with this country now. Everyone wants to be involved in the business of everyone else, but no one wants to take control of their own lives, and mind their own business.

This guy knew the risks, he did nothing to change them, and he paid the price. I hate it for him and his family, but there is NO ONE on Earth to blame but himself.

FTW
  • smantha32
    Options
    Well...MyFitnessPal provides an outlet for idiotic comments...so does that mean they are at fault for the worlds stupidity? I mean...they are totally enabling it.

lol.. more WIN.
  • smantha32
    Options
    I haven't seen this show so can't comment on it. But in Canada, there are shows about addicts, hoarders, and others with all kinds of issues. I would say these programs are exploiting these people at the very least, and those of us who watch them are voyeuristic.

I know people say "but it's helpful to others" and I dont' know if that is true or not. I kind of doubt it. I think we watch them because its entertaining, and it makes us feel better about ourselves and our own problems - they seem so minor in comparison. Who wouldn't feel better about being 30 lbs overweight when seeing this poor man?

I don't watch those shows. I watched Hoarders for awhile, but I always felt gross afterwards. That's really just not the sort of thing I want to invite into my life. Now I watch extreme yachts instead. lol
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I think its a form of neglect not exactly abuse per se.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    You cannot force anyone to help themselves. Like judges who order people with a DUI or whatever charge to go to rehab or attend AA. It is meaningless and there will be no change until the person with the problem addresses it on their own.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Abuse implies that his caretakers maliciously force fed him, and fattened him up until he died. It was was not abuse.

Did they enable him? Yup, they sure did, and that's not right. But, still... it's not "abuse". Enabling =/= abuse.
  • smantha32
    Options

Except that unless he has an actual mental illness that was proven by a doctor, no medical professional would step in forcablly if this man was able to make choices and decisions for himself, thereby his family would not be at fault. They can sugges he get help, they can call 911...but it will not matter. The same scenario goes for EMT and Paramedics who show up at a call, and CLEARLY the patient needs medical assistance, and the patient REFUSES, even after the medics encourage him to seek help. They (by law) have him sign a piece of paper, and they turn and leave. There is nothing else they can do.

This!

My mother wouldn't let the ambulance take her after she'd had a stroke. She was still logical and coherent and she refused help so they wouldn't take her. We sat there for an hour working on convincing her she needed to go, and finally she did, but the emergency responders couldn't do a thing until she agreed.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Its not abuse, its enabling but he allowed himself to get to that point, we all have choices

OK we will call it `enabling`

If you had a daughter or son or other family member that got to that stage would you `enable`?

Would you seek help from a medically qualified person?
    I wouldn't be seeking help from a mecically qualified person....."They would" ....its called taking responsibility for your own life if you want to live. Its a choice and again like I said before we all have it. everyday I wake up making a choice to either workout or give in..my life is hard too..I don't always have the best foods but I have to choose between what I have..I was 300lb damn near I could have just said to heck with it all and just kept gaining myself but I decided to live life and not give up...its just a choice some people give up...its no ones fault but their own. Unless they care a child.
  • smantha32
    Options
    Right, and no matter how much you said " get help" "see this doctor" "stop eating so much" he still said "No". he knew what he was doing and probably knew he did need help. We enable ourselves by eating too much, eating the wrong things and choosing not to excercise. We all do it. We make the CHOICE to change. unless he was proven to be mentally unfit, he did this to himself, and it is no one elses fault but his own. if someone was taking care of him at 900 lbs that is because he allowed himself to get that big in the first place.no one else.

He may have said NO but if you are physically incapable of choosing, buying, and preparing your own food then who's responsibility does it fall on? I'm required by law to meet certain governmental standards to feed people who are not capable of taking care of themselves. You can believe if someone that large crossed my path I with the physicians would be morally obligated to regulate their food intake while they are in my care despite their protests. Unless it was determined this was end of life care, and maybe that's the point he was at.

Well you sound like you're speaking as a health care professional. Legally you probably have to operate within certain standards, but someone's family members don't, and obviously a giant person isn't legally obligated to regulate themselves in any way.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    This kind of thing is exactly what's wrong with society...

It's not his fault...blame his family!
    It's not his fault...blame mcdonalds!
    It's not their fault...blame marilyn manson!

People need to take responsibility for their own actions.

this one wins! and OP, as a former cutter, still very much a masochist, and a proud one. I was the one that decided to cut. my parents didn't hand me the blade and say go nuts. It was my free will. I chose to do it. I can't wear sleeveless shirts or dresses, but that's MY fault. Not the people that make the blades, not my family that knew about it, mine. They are my battle scars. I've been through terrible ****, and I survived.

Let's say (like the big man) you're bound to bed and you positively can't get anywhere. Since you still want to cut yourself, you need somebody to bring you the blade, so you ask your parents. If your parents bring you the blade (even though they really don't have to) then they are enablers.

As long as you can get yourself the blade then your parents have nothing to do with it. But as soon as you depend on them to bring you the blade, they share the blame if they do.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    This kind of thing is exactly what's wrong with society...

It's not his fault...blame his family!
    It's not his fault...blame mcdonalds!
    It's not their fault...blame marilyn manson!

People need to take responsibility for their own actions.

this one wins! and OP, as a former cutter, still very much a masochist, and a proud one. I was the one that decided to cut. my parents didn't hand me the blade and say go nuts. It was my free will. I chose to do it. I can't wear sleeveless shirts or dresses, but that's MY fault. Not the people that make the blades, not my family that knew about it, mine. They are my battle scars. I've been through terrible ****, and I survived.

Let's say (like the big man) you're bound to bed and you positively can't get anywhere. Since you still want to cut yourself, you need somebody to bring you the blade, so you ask your parents. If your parents bring you the blade (even though they really don't have to) then they are enablers.

As long as you can get yourself the blade then your parents have nothing to do with it. But as soon as you depend on them to bring you the blade, they share the blame if they do.

Which rightfully makes somebody an "enabler". It's not "abuse" as originally stated. And enablers shouldn't be taking all the blame. Even in your scenario...it's still the cutters choice ultimately.

The majority of this argument has been "its his fault" vs. "it's everyone else's fault for enabling". You can't honestly say his wife/family wasn't enabling him...however with it being ultimately his choice HE should take 98% of the blame.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Right, and no matter how much you said " get help" "see this doctor" "stop eating so much" he still said "No". he knew what he was doing and probably knew he did need help. We enable ourselves by eating too much, eating the wrong things and choosing not to excercise. We all do it. We make the CHOICE to change. unless he was proven to be mentally unfit, he did this to himself, and it is no one elses fault but his own. if someone was taking care of him at 900 lbs that is because he allowed himself to get that big in the first place.no one else.

He may have said NO but if you are physically incapable of choosing, buying, and preparing your own food then who's responsibility does it fall on? I'm required by law to meet certain governmental standards to feed people who are not capable of taking care of themselves. You can believe if someone that large crossed my path I with the physicians would be morally obligated to regulate their food intake while they are in my care despite their protests. Unless it was determined this was end of life care, and maybe that's the point he was at.

Well you sound like you're speaking as a health care professional. Legally you probably have to operate within certain standards, but someone's family members don't, and obviously a giant person isn't legally obligated to regulate themselves in any way.

No youre right there is no legal obligation for him to care for himself. Although if he was incapacitated then his wife took on the role as caregiver and was under a legal obligation to ensure he was clean, fed, turned, and hydrated.

Still sad though as I'm sure he couldnt make the choice to say NO due to his addiction. Someone that obese is truly in need of help.
  • abetterluke
    Options
    I've struggled for several years with binge eating. I can go to town on candy/sweets/greasy food and put away 5/6/7k calories in a day without any real issue.

I've never once felt like my family was "enabling" because they baked a tray of brownies or ordered pizza. I choose to overeat. Nobody forces me to overeat. Often times I get yelled/lectured for it...I also feel like crap afterward...but it doesn't change the fact that the next time the opportunity arises I'm probably going to choose to do it.

I blame myself and ONLY myself for my weight.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I've struggled for several years with binge eating. I can go to town on candy/sweets/greasy food and put away 5/6/7k calories in a day without any real issue.

I've never once felt like my family was "enabling" because they baked a tray of brownies or ordered pizza. I choose to overeat. Nobody forces me to overeat. Often times I get yelled/lectured for it...I also feel like crap afterward...but it doesn't change the fact that the next time the opportunity arises I'm probably going to choose to do it.

I'm much like you I have a severe binge eating compulsion. It takes a lot to fight those demons, and although I never say oh my Mom made me fat or the mean kids at school made me fat. I still feel there is some culpability in the way i was raised, how I learned to comfort myself with food, possibly the lack of counseling I needed as a teen, and the cruelty from the men in my life. Environmentally cheap caloric rich/nutrient dense food is very easy to obtain, and I grew up where walking can be a scary experience.

I dont blame per se, but I've accepted that there are things I have to come to terms with from my life and will need to take the constant criticism from my mind realizing that some of those hateful thoughts were put there by others if I ever want to learn how to love myself and manage this addiction.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    There is a program about to start in the UK about a guy called Ricky who weighed 896lbs at 39 years old.

Sadly he died, I have not watched the program, but I have read and watched TV of similar situations.

Surely, the people that do not seek help for the person concerned is abusing.

What is your opinion?

My opinion is that its probably a good idea to see the program first before forming an opinion.
    A lot of people decried "Biggest Loser" in Australia for being exploitative and voyeuristic. However, those criticisms came mainly from those who did not watch the program. For the first time ever, I watched the Australian "Biggest Loser" program this year and I felt it was inspiring - or it was inspiring for me.

It just could be that the documentary on Ricky may actually be about giving Ricky a voice, shedding a light on the 'obesity epidemic' and raising people's awareness. It could have been done for completely altruistic reasons or a combination of altruism and the selfish. Maybe its a good idea to suspend judgement until its been screened and viewed.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    You seem to be confusing the words "abuse" and "neglect," and "neglect" implies a "duty" to provide for the individual discussed.

ETA: These concepts are the basis for laws of more than one nation on this subject. It is difficult to go anywhere with this subject without an understanding of these.
  • abetterluke
    Options

I'm much like you I have a severe binge eating compulsion. It takes a lot to fight those demons, and although I never say oh my Mom made me fat or the mean kids at school made me fat. I still feel there is some culpability in the way i was raised, how I learned to comfort myself with food, possibly the lack of counseling I needed as a teen, and the cruelty from the men in my life. Environmentally cheap caloric rich/nutrient dense food is very easy to obtain, and I grew up where walking can be a scary experience.

I dont blame per se, but I've accepted that there are things I have to come to terms with from my life and will need to take the constant criticism from my mind realizing that some of those hateful thoughts were put there by others if I ever want to learn how to love myself and manage this addiction.

I can understand that to a point...but it's still ultimately your choice. I have never had "demons" that made me eat. I didn't grow up being stuffed full of comfort foods when I was upset. My mom cooked a home cooked meal from scratch almost every day. Sure we had the occasional pizza or fast food....but it was pretty rare. We didn't keep soda or much junk food in the house. I ate my vegetables pretty well and usually enjoyed them.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    '999'

Which emergency service please?

Police

What is the nature of your emergency?

Someone is fat!

Why is this an emergency?

They're fat and they don't care about the damage they're doing to their body. Can't you do something? Oh, the humanity!

Goodbye, sir.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    '999'

Which emergency service please?

Police

What is the nature of your emergency?

Someone is fat!

Why is this an emergency?

They're fat and they don't care about the damage they're doing to their body. Can't you do something? Oh, the humanity!

Goodbye, sir.

So what you're saying is that you don't deliver pizza?