is this abuse? I think it is!

Options
123457»

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Abuse though? Enabling, sure, but abuse? Really?

05d.jpg
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    One of my husband's friends died young (37-38, I think) due to complications from being over 500 pounds. He knew he was fat. He knew he should lose weight. He knew he'd die young. He didn't think he'd make it to see 30. He just didn't care. It was horribly sad, but nothing anyone could say would make him make the effort to change.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Abuse
    Definition

Abuse is defined as any action that intentionally harms or injures another person. Abuse also encompasses inappropriate use of any substance, especially those that alter consciousness (e.g., alcohol, cocaine, methamphetamines).
    Description

There are several major types of abuse: physical abuse, sexual abuse, substance abuse, elder abuse, and psychological abuse. All forms of abuse in the United States are illegal and have the potential to carry serious criminal penalties

withholding food, water, or medicines

delaying needed medical care

Substance abuse usually causes behavioral changes such as failure to perform expected tasks or inability to meet reasonable work and family responsibilities. It should be suspected in a person who continues to use their drug of choice despite recurrent negative consequences. The diagnosis can be made after administration of a comprehensive physical exam and a chemical abuse assessment by a therapist.

domestic abuse abuse of a person by another person with whom the victim is living, has lived, or with whom a significant relationship exists. The abuse may take the form of verbal abuse, sexual abuse, physical battering, or psychological (emotional) unavailability. Abuse is a learned behavior and has an escalating cycle; abusive behavior cuts across all racial, ethnic, educational, and socioeconomic boundaries.

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Abuse
  • gzus7freek
    gzus7freek Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Folks, its called free will. Look it up. You can't force the man into therapy. Yuu can't withhold food. He made his choices. He died with them.

QFT
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    QFT?

I believe it means "quoted for truth"

Though originally I thought it mean "quit f***ing talking"....
  • twinketta
    Options
    Abuse
    Definition....

domestic abuse abuse of a person by another person with whom the victim is living, has lived, or with whom a significant relationship exists. The abuse may take the form of verbal abuse, sexual abuse, physical battering, or psychological (emotional) unavailability. Abuse is a learned behavior and has an escalating cycle; abusive behavior cuts across all racial, ethnic, educational, and socioeconomic boundaries.

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Abuse

I dont care how some liberal think tank defines it, it's not others responsibliy for someone who is overweight.

Maybe, that is your opinion and I respect that. We are all entitled to our own opinions.

I am just posting a definition of abuse from a medical website.
  • twinketta
    Options
    QFT?

I believe it means "quoted for truth"

Though originally I thought it mean "quit f***ing talking"....

Not every thing we think is correct, that is why we are allowed opinions whether right or wrong and that is why debate with others is a good thing.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I'm sure if we kept digging, we could find a cogent argument in here somewhere.
  • twinketta
    Options

Not every thing we think is correct, that is why we are allowed opinions whether right or wrong and that is why debate with others is a good thing.

True. And in our society, the majority rules. Or it used too. Now the vocal minority calls the shots. The majority here says the responsiblity for a person's weight lays on the person. And with that majority opinion should come laws and regulations that support it.

There is a company in Switzerland, Dignitas that allow/help with assisted suicide. I agree with that whole heartedly. If someone wants to take their own life as they are not experiencing a good quality of life. There is a lot more to it...but it is off topic in a way... Most countries will not pass a law or regulation to allow people the dignity of assisted suicide.

MFP is not the majority opinion. Maybe, in this topic, the majority is against my opinion, so be it, I have no problem with people standing by their beliefs.

With `minor` topics and I am using this term loosely most of a countries population would not bother to debate it unless it affected them in some way....such as the Dignitas example.