August 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Jane10s wrote: »
    I debated joining your thread last month. Impressive mileage in this group. I'm at ground zero trying to get back into it after many years of not running consistently. August goal: 30 miles. First run was rough.

8/1: 3 miles

Welcome!!! Glad you joined us!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options

Met a friend for 5 easy miles this morning. When I went to bed last night the forecast gave a 70% chance of rain a 5:00 am. Surprisingly, there was a nice breeze and no rain.

I'm so excited for all you marathoners. I can't wait to cheer you on. My only advice is to trust the plan!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,443 Member
    Options
    Welcome @tarun_yadavA @Jane10s

6 treadmill miles this evening.

exercise.png

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,973 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    @polskagirl01 I agree that everything else should be ruled out first. Just throwing that info out there and hoping that, if that is what it is, giving you a little ray of hope that it will get better over time.

Great running @marisap2010 . I'm like you. I SWEAT a lot.

Welcome @Jane10s ! We really do have all levels of running here and you will get lots of support along the way. Your first run may have been tough, but you did it!!!!

@eleanorhawkins You are doing great with your running and strength training. I love the work Excitified!

Nice running @tarun_yadavA !

It was really nice out this morning @Teresa502 . Glad you had a good run!

@martaindale @Scott6255 @marisap2010 and @eleanorhawkins I'm impressed that you all are training for marathons. We will be cheering you on and, like @Teresa502 said, trust the plan.

I worked today from 8 - 12, then went to the doctor for my annual physical. I'm fine. No changes to medications or anything. My cholesterol is up a little, but just going to watch it. He is always impressed by my HDL, which was 129. My LDL increased a little to 119, but still within range. I told him it might go down when the tomatoes are gone out of the garden and I quit eating BLTs. LOL

When I got home, I did a treadmill Foundation Run - ran 2.30 miles in 32:30 minutes. I was a bit disappointed in the overall pace, but when I walk some, I should expect that. I did a run/walk for 4/1 minutes - as usual the walks were at 3.8 mph and the runs were at 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 4.5, 4.6, 4.2, 4.2 mph. I also walked 0.70 miles total for warm up and cool down.

By the time I was finished, it felt a lot nicer outside, so I went out and mowed the part of my yard that can be seen from the road and up to and including where I used to have a garden. I mowed for 52:23 min. The temp was 82F, with feels like of 85F, so not bad at all.

Speaking of running plans, after this week I want to start a plan to get me to my 10 mile race in December. I know it's a long way off, so should I wait to start a plan that will end exactly on race day, or start one now so I can have leeway for weeks/days that I just have other things pop up? Also, I like the Matt Fitzgerald plans, but he doesn't seem to have one for 10 miles or 15K. It's either 5K, 10K, HM, or Marathon. Should I just use the HM plan or try to modify someone else's 10 mile plan? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

• marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Speaking of running plans, after this week I want to start a plan to get me to my 10 mile race in December. I know it's a long way off, so should I wait to start a plan that will end exactly on race day, or start one now so I can have leeway for weeks/days that I just have other things pop up? Also, I like the Matt Fitzgerald plans, but he doesn't seem to have one for 10 miles or 15K. It's either 5K, 10K, HM, or Marathon. Should I just use the HM plan or try to modify someone else's 10 mile plan? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

It looks like his 10K level 2 plan has a 9 mile and 10 mile run in the long runs, so I think you could probably use that plan to train for your 10 mile race.

• tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,104 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys 😊
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Welcome @Jane10s!! I second C25k as a great place to start. That’s what I used and so many others here did too.

@marisap2010 You’re doing great with your marathon training! 8 weeks left is really getting into the meat of training.

@quilteryoyo Echoing others above, either a 10k or HM plan could work as long as the long run will get you to the distance you need. I don’t know a lot about the Fitzgerald plans but other 10k plans I have used (HH, Hansons) incorporate a lot more speed work that the HM plans. Makes sense as the shorter race distance means pushing for a faster race pace. But that also alters the training style. HM plans focus more on endurance and the workouts reflect that. So, beyond the long runs, you might want to look at the weekly workouts. You’ll probably notice some differences in the type of workouts depending on the intention of the plan. I agree with @eleanorhawkins that doing a little base building before starting a plan is a good idea. I also usually try to be realistic with myself around holiday weeks. A 12 week plan usually takes me 14-15 weeks when it falls over Nov and Dec because I know I won’t run a full week during the holidays. I plan to repeat weeks around those and that way I never feel behind the 8 ball at the end of my plan. I also build in an extra taper week as a buffer in case I get injured or something unplanned pops up and I need to adjust the schedule. If things are on track I can always add a few miles in before my real taper week.

@tarun_yadavA Crushing it!
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,104 Member
    Options
    August total: 10.1/105 miles

8/1: 5.1 miles
    8/3: 5 miles

Uneventful and sweaty. Went faster than I intended and my HR reflected that. The run didn’t feel too hard but my HR looked like I was working HARD!

Awesome! Well done 🙌
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    I'm so excited for all you marathoners. I can't wait to cheer you on. My only advice is to trust the plan!
    /\ I totally agree! One week at a time!
    I'm excited to follow your progress, all of you!

@quilteryoyo RE: plans: lots of good advice above. I'm a Hal girl myself, sometimes with modifications, but you can modify your go-to coach's plans, too. If the 10k goes to your race distance, that will work. Otherwise, I'd take a plan for a longer distance, and then find the point where the long run reaches your goal distance, and the point where taper starts, then take out the weeks in-between, and set the plan to your calendar to end with race day. If you have a time goal or want to train for slightly further than race distance, you might leave an extra week or two in there, and/or or look for a plan that includes speedwork. Depends on your goals for this race.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Plan called for a recovery run in Z1. 2.58 miles.

July total: 10.46 miles