WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2022

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk/slow jog w/yogi- 1hr 29min 50sec, 103elev, 4.06ap, 117ahr, 159mhr, 6.05mi= 592c
    Strava app = 741c
    Zwift home bike trainer- strava stats- 15.45min, 154elev, 100aw, 19.5amph, 101ahr, 119mhr, 5.11mi= 100c
    Strava app = 90c
    Zwift stats- 15.50min, 156elev, 99aw, 42arpm, 19.40amph, 5.12mi= 90c

Total cal 692

Didn’t go to the gym, after a quick ride, had to make more doggie treats and type out the recipe
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,940 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Have any of you had a bone density test?
    At what age did you get it done.
    I asked my doctor about it before and she said I was too young. I asked her today and she said we will do it when I am 65. (I asked because both my parents have/had osteo)
    Have to wait five more years to have it done
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,374 Member
    Options
    I can't quite figure out if the difference is simply the individual differences between us all in outlook, or in financial wherewithal, or the urban / rural divide - but I cannot even imagine moving into an apartment where strangers take care of me...

Please don't get me wrong - I'm not saying I think it's wrong, nor that it is in any way a bad thing--but my daughter has already informed me that she will be caring for me and then her dad as a something she expects to do, and will be proud to do. (Her brother gave away a dog just recently as too much responsibility, so there's that.) Personally, I hope to be able to walk off into the woods and have a panther eat me or something else interesting, but my daughter's outlook on parental care is that of being raised in a very tiny town in Alaska, and it matches my own in many ways, as I grew up in rural Texas.

While not necessarily traditional, my father's eventual fate may not be for the faint of heart:
    My brother took care of our father until the last few weeks of his life, and had him living in a little house right next to his own... but that was because my sister and I would have cheerfully let the old man die by the side of the road than have him in either of our lives again. In the hospital, a nurse's aide gave him a drink of water after he'd had a minor stroke, he aspirated it into his lungs, developed pneumonia and died. My sis and I went to the funeral to make sure he was dead, mostly. The preacher, having known the family for decades, never spoke his name during the service. The same preacher had given my mother's service five years earlier with tears in his eyes throughout.

Watching you all struggle through these caring decisions for those you love and for yourselves makes it obvious that some of us don't just want these things, we expect these arrangements for our parents, for ourselves, in ways that I genuinely find absolutely both fascinating and utterly foreign...

Just musing in Arkansas,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,065 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,328 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    I asked my doctor about it before and she said I was too young. I asked her today and she said we will do it when I am 65. (I asked because both my parents have/had osteo)

Debbie- it seems to me I had at least one when I was in my 40's - 50's, then another one at 65. And I have one scheduled this coming Tuesday.

Are you in menopause? That might make a difference for you. My mom had a broken hip - maybe that's why I was able to get mine done sooner.

You might want to check with your insurance and see what their rules are, maybe that's the holdup.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Worked then out to lunch with the Newcomers. Had a grilled chicken sandwich and in place of the french fries I had these mixed vegetables. Only water to drink

Rebecca – I started MFP in 2009. Yikes! Almost 20 years ago! I’m not that old….lol

Went for a walk around the block, had dinner, then watered the lawn, then got a donation ready to take to the Salvation Army tomorrow. Hopefully, we can take everything (there’s so much)

Ginny – so glad to hear that you’re getting better and better

Karen – looks like a wonderful place you’re moving to

Debbie – I had my first one many years ago because I fractured my ankle and, to be honest, I think the doctor prescribed it for me just to shut me up, I wanted one and she kept insisting that I was too young. Was she ever shocked when it showed that I had osteoporosis! I KNEW something was wrong.

Flea – (((HUGS)))

I’d like to get my BDT every year, but this year I got so much flack, that Medicare only pays once every two years. They have paid every year for the last few year. In the end my MD said he’s fine with me waiting the 2 years. I’m just going to since I know the Prolia is helping.

Off to take a shower and then probably watch some TV

Michele NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
    Ss
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,815 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,732 Member
    Options
    I have been visiting with you ladies almost daily since April 2018.
    I started reading that month and Machka kept updating on her husband. I kept coming back to see how he was doing.
    I started enjoying others lives too.
    Heather and Johnny were trying to buy a house. Lisa was just starting at Guides. So many others. I ended up going back and reading from January before I commented the first time.
    It was like reading a book with all of these fascinating characters and I could be part of the story.
    I consider you all my friends.

Debbie - I had my bone density when 1 day after I turned 50. The government wouldn’t pay for it before that. I think it’s one of the baseline things they do here routinely.

Machka - I craft, watch tv, listen to music, clean/putter as relaxation. I only schedule something one work night a week and usually try to have time on the weekend to just sit and be.

We have the Grandpup for the weekend. She arrived this evening and will be picked up Sunday. I’ll be just around the house this weekend.

Tracey in Edmonton
    I’ll have to catch up on the weekend and tell you all my work woes and a funny Michaela conversation.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    <3:)<3
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,940 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »

Debbie- it seems to me I had at least one when I was in my 40's - 50's, then another one at 65. And I have one scheduled this coming Tuesday.

Are you in menopause? That might make a difference for you. My mom had a broken hip - maybe that's why I was able to get mine done sooner.

You might want to check with your insurance and see what their rules are, maybe that's the holdup.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

went through menopause back in my early 40's.
    I will ask the doctor again- my friend that works at Kaiser said I may have to almost demand having one now, instead of asking if I can get one now.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,108 Member
    Options
    💞
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! <3

From time to time, the topic of FOMO comes up here. Fear of Missing Out.

This popped onto my FB page this morning:

cpqw5vw6nec5.png

Being a party pooper isn't pathological after all. :p

Make it a fabulous day! <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State where it's still sunny with days in the high 70's and 80's. Rain dance is anticipated to produce results in a week.

Love it!