WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2022

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,910 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    You all are right.. I am helping them out as they don't have to pay for childcare.
    As it is only part time I can handle it at least for right now..
    Luckily he is taking naps for me so It isn't terribly hard..
    And It maked me get up during the week..

They're not paying you???

This is not uncommon. My mother was the caregiver for my niece's daughter for years without pay, and she was happy to do it. I didn't live near anyone who could do that for me, and paid tens of thousands of dollars over the years for child care. I don't think my mother had stopped to calculate how much she had helped my niece financially until I told her what I had paid.

Flea
    Willamette Valley OR

I could see a grandparent looking after a grandchild occasionally, or maybe regularly 1 day a week or something. But if the grandparent is covering the whole week or most of it, that's a job.

But it's up to each family to decide.

M in Oz
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,567 Member
    Options
    You all are right.. I am helping them out as they don't have to pay for childcare.
    As it is only part time I can handle it at least for right now..
    Luckily he is taking naps for me so It isn't terribly hard..
    And It maked me get up during the week..

They're not paying you???

This is not uncommon. My mother was the caregiver for my niece's daughter for years without pay, and she was happy to do it. I didn't live near anyone who could do that for me, and paid tens of thousands of dollars over the years for child care. I don't think my mother had stopped to calculate how much she had helped my niece financially until I told her what I had paid.

Flea
    Willamette Valley OR

I could see a grandparent looking after a grandchild occasionally, or maybe regularly 1 day a week or something. But if the grandparent is covering the whole week or most of it, that's a job.

But it's up to each family to decide.

M in Oz

I'll admit to being a little bitter about it, but my mom wanted to do it. Eventually it was just after school care, but that's still 20 hours a week, plus she watched on weekends when my niece made other plans.

Flea
    Willamette Valley OR
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    ❤️
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    question about caffeine-
    Will exercise help burn it off faster than not exercising?
    My wellness coach told me that caffeine can stay in your system for up to 12 hrs so I should try to cut out caffeine 12 hrs before going to bed- If I am trying to go to bed around 10, I would have to stop at 10AM which is when I am just having my first cup of tea.
    I try to stop all caffeine by 3PM, thought that was early enough. Trying to stop by noon and see if that helps.
    I really need to figure out how to get to sleep and stay asleep better.
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    What do you do with pretty cards and calendars?

I'm looking for creative ideas, not "throw them out".

Machka in Oz

Rebecca uses calendars for envelopes. Since you're a gardener, perhaps something like this using tin cans:
    6e0opt9qw8o3.jpg
    It's not a craft project, but I got cocktails in them at a concert and thought they'd make good seed starting pots (and they do). Your cards might be nice for something like that.

Origami ornaments, perhaps.

Tina in CA

• 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Hoping for some snow this Winter...

op5dtqfcgm4t.png

Carol in GA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,565 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day -

Walk w/yogi- 1hr 43min 37sec, 43elev, 3.61ap, 102ahr, 121mhr, 6.26mi= 591c
    Strava app = 767c
    Zwift home bike trainer- strava stats- 23.09min, 174elev, 136aw, 40gear, 50gear for last 1.6miles, 21amph, 119amph, 149mhr, 8.10mi= 171c
    Strava app = 180c
    Zwift stats- 23.11min, 176elev, 136aw, 49arpm, 20.99amph, 8.11mi= 181c

762 total cal
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,716 Member
    Options
    Afternoon ladies
    No I don't get paid..when i watched Faith I did through the trust..
    Im trying to help my kids get by.. it gives me purpose to get up and moving every morning. And I love being with him.. is he a handful oh yes..but i can come home and take a nap and then im good..
    If it comes to a point where it gets to be to much I will let them know.. im going to try and get him to at least preschool.
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Afternoon ladies
    No I don't get paid..when i watched Faith I did through the trust..
    Im trying to help my kids get by.. it gives me purpose to get up and moving every morning. And I love being with him.. is he a handful oh yes..but i can come home and take a nap and then im good..
    If it comes to a point where it gets to be to much I will let them know.. im going to try and get him to at least preschool.

My mother did the same for my nephews and nieces. She loved being with them and my siblings contributed food and other things so it wasn't all out of pocket for my mom. They also bought her nice gifts, sent her on trips, etc. She also got to influence the kids in a good way and she knew they were safe.

Tina in CA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I had a chance to chat with DH a few minutes ago. It was wonderful to talk together. He is still in the hospital. DD has found a good nursing home much closer to us. It is about 14 miles from her home.

DH is tired of the hospital and we all hope to bring him nearby us.
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Katla ~ I wish your daughter could find a nursing home and an apartment for you both that would be within a short distance from her. I know that it must be hard to coordinate all the driving between the places. Of course, I have no idea if your daughter lives in a rural area or an area closer to the place where more facilities could be found. I think about you and pray all will go well.

Carol in GA
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,174 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to say good night before the do some more maintenance on here. Let’s hope it does set the gremlins off again.

See y’all in the morning.