Options
    Cc
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Good morning all!

Karen- O my, Olivia! And her brother (Why can't I remember his name?) That is such a sweet pic!

Ope! Here come the grands! Just Joaquin and Miguel this morning. Javi went on a breakfast date with his mama and a friend of hers from school.

Love and hugs to you all. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

The beautiful blond boy's name is Phoenix. :)

• sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    1948CWB wrote: »
    Machka ~ I kept my two grands the first year of their life out of love. Not only that, but also like Allie, I supplied things they needed like formula, diapers, food, etc. After the first year, they went to day care.

I went for my first bone density test this morning. I had no idea how it was done, but, it was such a simple procedure. Now, I need to schedule a mammogram.

Carol in GA

Ah ... there's a country difference.

In Canada and Australia, parental leave is somewhere between 1 and 2 years depending on a number of factors. It used to be 9 months, I think, but it has been extended.

Parental leave in the U.S. is 6-12 weeks, sometimes. It varies by state too. That time off also includes any time one must take off to care for someone else who needs it, such as a parent. So, if you have a baby and a parent needs care in the same calendar year, you have UP TO 12 weeks (by law) of partially paid leave, sometimes. Some states pay nothing for this. All it does is require the employer to give you the time off and keep "a job" available for you.

Hence the need for family members to help with childcare.

Edit: In addition to what employers are required to provide, the employee also worries about what role they will have, if they take the time off. Also, they have to take ALL vacation time they have stored up before the 6-12 weeks kicks in. So, when they go back to work, they don't have any paid time off to take.

Some employers are more flexible about this than others.

Tina in CA
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,944 Member
    Options
    I have lived an hour away from my parents for the past 30 yrs. No one to watch ds when I worked BUT- that was not needed because I was the one working from home, watching other people's kids while they worked. I was licensed daycare provider until just a few years ago.
    He is an only child but never felt like he was because I have always had kids around. When he was little the dc kids would be here when he woke up even(he was never an early riser, ever). Usually had ones around his age. For quite a few years I had four others the same age- five in total within one year of each other. Taylor was the youngest at 2 and his brother was 3, the other three were inbetween those two.

Side note- at one point I had the four boys(the girl had moved) and Noah was upset one day, asked him why, it was because he was the only one that was NOT adopted-Ray and Taylor was and my son was but not Noah.

Jona was best friends with Noah from age one- not as close now,drifted when they went to different middle schools, but we are still very close with the family- I pet sit for them, the mom is my walking buddy and now, back at Zumba with me.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,830 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Well it’s done, traded in the car for a Subaru Outback. It is strong enough to tow the new trailer once we get it. It’s used but that’s ok

I have a 2018 Subaru Outback and love it! Good luck with yours!

RvRita in NM
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I had to look up maternity leave in the UK. You get 90% for the first 39 + weeks, then £155 for the next 33, approx. In Scandinavia the leave is for well over a year at 90% for both/either parents.
    6 weeks does not seem nearly enough. :o

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Six weeks is not nearly enough to do any of the things we in the U.S. have to cram into it when needed.

Tina in CA