<3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    <3
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,943 Member
    Options
    Katla - I’m happy for you that your DH will be closer.

Machka - I keep only very special cards. I have one friend that makes beautiful handmade ones and I keep those. I buy calendars with the thought of framing the pictures afterwards. This year my work calendar is outhouses. I was so excited to frame them I’ve already taken some of the pictures out, framed them and have them hanging in my bathroom for artwork.
    I choose my favourites not the full 12 months.
    It’s a cheap way of changing the artwork in my house.

I kept my Grands on a fairly consistent basis because my daughter worked retail and her husband works shift work. I would have been horrified if they offered to pay me, I did make them buy car seats for my car so I could take them where I wanted to go. I have noticed that I used to get more for birthdays and Christmas from them as a thank you.
    I also help buy clothes, back to school supplies whatever I can to help a bit. Last week I bought winter coats, I had agreed to buy one, I found a great sale so my daughter is splitting the cost with me.

Allie - I understand you need to help, but they should have a back up plan in place to give you a break on your tires days.

Debbie - my daughter always has a sleepless night if she has any caffeine after noon. She is quite sensitive to it. I can drink a tea before bed and still sleep.

I fell yesterday morning and am feeling bruised all over today. I went to step down onto our steps off the deck to go to work and unbeknownst to me it was covered in a thin layer of ice. DH came running out of the door. He had just gotten home about an hour earlier and it was raining, he hadn’t realized that the temperature had dropped.

I’m going to my cousins on the weekend, I should really keep that time at home, but I don’t like driving down there in the winter and my next opportunity may have snow on the ground.

Trace in Edmonton

My husband can have a cup of coffee or energy drink and go right to sleep. Mom used to drink coffee all day and evening and no trouble sleeping(doesn't now because she is on an anti-inflamitory diet so no caffeine, not even decaf
    I have always had trouble sleeping too. Take MANY warm showers around 1-2AM in the dark which really does help.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    question about caffeine-
    Will exercise help burn it off faster than not exercising?
    My wellness coach told me that caffeine can stay in your system for up to 12 hrs so I should try to cut out caffeine 12 hrs before going to bed- If I am trying to go to bed around 10, I would have to stop at 10AM which is when I am just having my first cup of tea.
    I try to stop all caffeine by 3PM, thought that was early enough. Trying to stop by noon and see if that helps.
    I really need to figure out how to get to sleep and stay asleep better.

A few of my ideas and discoveries: http://machka.net/2019/11/23/sleep/

I also used Valerian for several years but am now trying Melatonin.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    What do you do with pretty cards and calendars?

I'm looking for creative ideas, not "throw them out".

Machka in Oz

Rebecca uses calendars for envelopes. Since you're a gardener, perhaps something like this using tin cans:
    6e0opt9qw8o3.jpg
    It's not a craft project, but I got cocktails in them at a concert and thought they'd make good seed starting pots (and they do). Your cards might be nice for something like that.

Origami ornaments, perhaps.

Tina in CA

That's nice. :)

This article also had some interesting ideas: https://www.diyncrafts.com/29639/repurpose/25-clever-calendar-repurposing-ideas-creative-fun

I was particularly intrigued by the gift bag idea: https://idohaveatalent.wordpress.com/2011/08/17/upcycle-calendar-to-gift-bag/

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka: Seems like this rain has been going on for awhile or am I imagining this. I have a bridge table in my bedroom with a puzzle on it. I haven't touched it in years but have no intention of taking it down. When the time comes, I will do this puzzle! I smile when I see the books beside the bed. With my ADD personality, I would have the books all over the floor!

Rosemarie from Georgia

It has been raining for a while and will continue ... La Niña. They're now predicting we might see sunshine in February 2023.

Meanwhile there are floods everywhere.

My cat gets in there and selects several books to lie on when I'm in bed reading. :)

Machka in Oz

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    :)
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    <3
    Betsy
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Oooooh! So pretty!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    <3
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,816 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Options
    1948CWB wrote: »
    Machka ~ I kept my two grands the first year of their life out of love. Not only that, but also like Allie, I supplied things they needed like formula, diapers, food, etc. After the first year, they went to day care.

I went for my first bone density test this morning. I had no idea how it was done, but, it was such a simple procedure. Now, I need to schedule a mammogram.

Carol in GA

Ah ... there's a country difference.

In Canada and Australia, parental leave is somewhere between 1 and 2 years depending on a number of factors. It used to be 9 months, I think, but it has been extended.
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,943 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    question about caffeine-
    Will exercise help burn it off faster than not exercising?
    My wellness coach told me that caffeine can stay in your system for up to 12 hrs so I should try to cut out caffeine 12 hrs before going to bed- If I am trying to go to bed around 10, I would have to stop at 10AM which is when I am just having my first cup of tea.
    I try to stop all caffeine by 3PM, thought that was early enough. Trying to stop by noon and see if that helps.
    I really need to figure out how to get to sleep and stay asleep better.

A few of my ideas and discoveries: http://machka.net/2019/11/23/sleep/

I also used Valerian for several years but am now trying Melatonin.

M in Oz

I use Hylands biochemic phosphates and it really helps but don't want to take it too often. I like it so much better than melatonin for me- the melatonin worked but took a while and then the next day, I was just dragging most of the day. With the other, they are quick dissolve and start working fast and no drowsy feeling the next day. This is good not only for sleep but to relieve stress/nervousness.

Debbie