Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    So it turns out we are staying home for our entire holiday. We have had an incredible amount of rain in the northern part of the state with even more rain coming this week. There has been all sorts of flooding, roads are still closed and more will likely be closed when the rain starts tomorrow. The police are recommending no non-essential travel at all throughout the state.

But that's OK!

Machka in Oz

One of the reasons that it is OK we're staying home is that I have more time to work on my dry stream (if it doesn't get too wet in all the rain) AND I've started working on my home office.

My home office is the smallest bedroom in our house and when I say small, I do mean small. It's also the most cluttered room in the house. It's become the place we put stuff when we don't know what else to do with it. I would like to turn it into something more useful. It's very small, but still ...

Underneath all the clutter are stack and drawers of paper: documents neatly filed in a filing cabinet (buried by stuff), binders full of university notes, boxes full of other mail and whatnot that has made it way in. Ideally, I'd like to toss what I don't need anymore, scan what I do need a copy of (and toss the paper) and file what I need to keep for a decade or whatever.

My home office has also spilled out to the dining room area where my chair and laptop is (and several file boxes of paper) so it will have to be included in this organisational attempt.

I walked into the room and wondered where on earth to start.

So I reached out and touched the first thing ... and the next thing ... and the next thing ...

It's been like a game of pick-up sticks. Pick up something without knocking the whole pile over.

But it has begun.

Machka in Oz
    Machka - My mom died about 20 years ago. She had a lot of belongings, but there was only one truly disorganized area in the house, a small office/breezeway between the house and the added-on garage. Every time I walked into the room, I turned right around and went to find something else to work on. Then my older brother came to pick up some items, and he offered to help with the cluttered room - his method was simple: we started in one corner, he worked counter-clockwise, I worked clockwise, and when we met we were done. It was a particularly good method for clearing out our disorganized, cluttered space. We stayed out of each other's way, consulted when needed, and were both motivated to keep going by the other person's industriousness. If I were doing an office clean out where the goal was to organize rather than clear out the space, I might use another method, but in either case, getting a clear corner or wall space is a psychological boost.

Katla, I, too, am glad your health is being looked after. And I am glad your husband is stable after his procedure. (((Hugs))) to you both.

Karen in Virginia

I've wanted a second person to help me with this for some time, but a second person has not materialised so I'm on my own. :neutral:

However, my first step was to go through the biggest pile of .... basically ... whatever. Some of it belongs downstairs or elsewhere, some of it needs shredding for mulch, some of it was my cycling stuff. I hadn't realised so much of my cycling stuff was in there. :smiley:

Now I'm onto the sort things into meaningful piles stage. All my cycling stuff is in one pile. University notes are going into another pile which I'll flip through at some stage (soon) and will shred most of it. Brain injury stuff is going into another pile.

Travel stuff ... I'm torn on this one. I'm a collector of brochures and information pages from places we've been. I probably don't need to keep all that because things change and most of it is available online now. Plus if something is a particularly important memory I can scan or photograph it. But maps ... I have a massive quantity of maps. I love maps. I pour over maps. My initial inclination is to keep all the maps ... but I do have a massive quantity of them and they take up space.

Anyway ... I'm pleased with my progress so far. :)

Machka in Oz

Machka, Well...I think maps are like books. If you love them and they spark joy, you keep them. The ones you are 'meh' about you can donate or toss. Organizing them into a file box or other place that is easy to keep/access will solve the messy factor and make it easier to lay your hands on the exact one you want to look at. Just a thought.

Karen in Virginia

p.s. I really love the upcycle gift bag idea!
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,144 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,347 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Happy Thursday ladies!

My mom looked after my niece and nephew, and they lived next door to each other. I just ran across this photo. I think she loved caring for them, but it did take time out of her day. She wasn't helping Dad farm anymore but still had chores to do.

DH and I didn't want to have kids just to have someone else raise them, and by the time we could afford it, my baby clock had nearly run out and DH was diagnosed with RA. We had moved to the west coast so mom wasn't close by. :)

Call me nuts, but in my mind's eye I would see a child from time to time as I grew older. I had a likely miscarriage right after we were married and never conceived after that.

m6xxjdiigmpt.jpg

Tracey - snow and ice? I'm getting the chills just thinking about it. Hope your bruises heal. Ouch!

Kim - I think of you and your chilly house. My house seems awfully cool without the wood stove going, but it's much cleaner and no smoke. I have maybe a week's worth of firewood tucked back in case we lose power this winter. I'm trying to determine what temp to set the thermostat to keep it bearable, 67 seems good during the day, 63 at night. It's always 2 to 3 degrees colder in the living room than it is in the hall where the thermostat is so I have a little space heater by my chair set to the low wattage setting.

Did I read it right you were posting a large document about trust to the group? If so I must have skimmed by it. ;)

Heather - what's the weather going to be like on your cruise? Are you packing fall clothes or will you get to enjoy some warm summery days?

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,898 Member
    Options
    DH and I didn't want to have kids just to have someone else raise them, and by the time we could afford it, my baby clock had nearly run out and DH was diagnosed with RA. We had moved to the west coast so mom wasn't close by. :)

Call me nuts, but in my mind's eye I would see a child from time to time as I grew older. I had a likely miscarriage right after we were married and never conceived after that.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

My first husband and I waited to have kids till we could afford it, then I had 2 or maybe 3 miscarriages.

Much later, in 2009 when I had DVT, I was tested and they discovered I have a genetic mutation which increases my chances of DVT and also reduces my chances of carrying a child to term.

But I worked in childcare for a couple years.

M in Oz

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    <3
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,898 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    My parents helped out when they could ,but didn't watch mine all the time i waitressed and Rich worked 3rd shift so during the day I took them up to my parents,they got to see my mom and my grandmother daily..my grandmother passed when Tracy was 3 and I got a full time job.. my girlfriend was doing inhome daycare and Dan was in school so it worked out.
    Both Tracy and Kyle are very very thankful I am watching him.and it is only for a 1/2 day so she still gets to spend lots of time with him..
    Im doing what I can as a grandma to help out. And he loves his grandma..

I'm glad it's working for you. :)

M in Oz
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! I have been reading along and enjoying all of the pics! It is Thursday morning and the first time I have NOT had a grandchild on my lap or beside me, since their arrival on Sunday eve. While having them and holding them has been wonderful. I am EXHAUSTED. Round the clock care for small children is NOT for the over 50 set. lol Granted, with my DD and her hubby here, I am not getting up in the middle of the night with the kids; but we have been busy doing and going every day. Today we will be going to a farm called the Critter Barn and letting the kids explore and play with the animals, then we will stop at Post Family Farms and walk the corn maze, take a hayride and pick our pumpkins. It will just be Tim and I with the kids from tomorrow afternoon until late Saturday night, due to my DD and DSIL heading to a friends rehearsal dinner, wedding and reception. My plan for the boys is to just hang at home and do creative things. Crafts, science experiments, maybe bake some cookies, play outside...
    Maternity leave and caring for children- I received 6 weeks paid maternity leave for both of my children. I took my six weeks and went back to work. I do think it would be wonderful if parents in the U.S. could receive months to years of paid maternity leave; BUT speaking as a childcare provider, I can tell you, the children who are home with mama for the first year (or more) are no better off, socially and emotionally, than the child who is home with mama for 6 weeks. If anything, the children who attend a childcare setting (a minimum of three days a week) from infancy are usually quite a bit further along in the social-emotional development than those who have had the extended time home with parents/grandparents. We always talk about how those first few months are when children need their parents the most...I would disagree with that. Children KNOW who their parents are and close connections are built en utero and immediately following birth. A caring and nurturing adult can fill an infant/ toddler/preschooler's all around growth needs while parents are working. I think the time that children need their parents to be around, closely supervising, listening, helping with problems and concerns would be adolescence. I think maternity/paternity leave would be well used when the children hit puberty. That is the time when the rift between children and parents develops into a chasm of communication errors, lack of understanding, patience, etc. THIS would be the time parents need to be home more.
    Karen- O my, Olivia! And her brother (Why can't I remember his name?) That is such a sweet pic!
    Pip- You and Kirby have such big hearts! Taking in the grandpups and providing Yogi with some packmates! Love the new car!

Ope! Here come the grands! Just Joaquin and Miguel this morning. Javi went on a breakfast date with his mama and a friend of hers from school.

Love and hugs to you all. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)