November 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,094 Member
    Options
    Thanks @eleanorhawkins ! Glad you are mostly recovered from your race. Those tests runs can be brutal. Sounds like you did great.

You did great to get out to run @Teresa502 . I'm not ready for cold weather running yet. LOL

Nice running @yirara . I hope your foot surgery goes well and you recover quickly.

I didn't work at daycare today, but did some things around the house that I've been putting off way too long. I classified those as my MUST DOs, so put off running until I was done. That was a mistake, as I was beat by then. I did make myself do a treadmill wun - only running enough to keep my HR above 100. Avg HR was 111. Max 132. I traversed a total of 2.10 miles. That makes my total for the month so far 26.6/70 mile goal.
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Thank you @quilteryoyo
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,094 Member
    Options

29.6/70.00 miles goal

I got up early enough this morning to get my run in and a shower before the pest control guy came, and then worked at daycare for 4 hours. I'm glad I got the run done early. However, I've just felt off today. I keep taking my temperature to make sure I don't have one and it's always 97.x°F. I woke up sweating and then I poured sweat during the entire walk and run...which was on the treadmill in a coolish basement. I mean, I do sweat when I run down there, but this was not normal. I didn't really feel hot, but lost enough water.

Anyway, I walked a total of 0.7 miles for warm up and cool down, then ran/ran or walked 3/2 min at 4.5/4.2/4.6/4.2/4.7-5.1/3.8 mph. Total was 2.30 miles in 31:03 minutes for an average pace of 13:30 min/mile. Average HR was 121 and max was 139 bpm.

One thing I learned today for getting up early to run is that I need to add an extra 30 minutes because it seems like I always get a later start than expected and have to cut it shorted than originally intended.

I started feeling better about 4 pm, so not sure what was going on. I'm still really tired, but hope that whatever was "wrong" was fleeting and is gone.

@SummerSkier Those temps are really cold to me too. I just don't have the proper clothing for running in those temps. I hope the wind died down and you had another great tennis match. Great running.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart nice running, and that dog is SOOOO cute!
    @tarun_yadavA great run in the rain, but I'm with @SummerSkier I like running in the rain in the summer, but no thank you for cold winter rain running!

6.2 miles this evening. Hadn't done much speed work lately, so thought I would do a fast-ish 10K workout. It felt kinda hard, but not an all-out sprint. I negative split every mile. Cool 43F temp helped, but I over dressed.

exercise.png
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    @SummerSkier I'm no fan of the rain either... And yes, hate that wet shoe feeling! Still trying to hit 'Undo' on those two weeks of vacation carnage! (And going to the gym -paying per session- to use it for Max one hour during work hours... Nahhh).

@Scott6255 I guess where you guys are (looks like a lot of TX and a sprinkling of other southern states thrown in here on this group), it must get really really hot in the summers. So yeah, I can imagine, those sprinkles must feel nice.
    Other than a freak African heatwave (which took temps to 40C [ that's >100F for you guys] ) it doesn't tend to get that hot here. Couple of nice summer months perhaps. Other than that, rain - bleurgh. No thanks!
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,124 Member
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins I have plans to get a small camper once my kid inherits my current car, which is too small to tow anything. It would certainly be more comfortable and it would extend the camping season quite a bit for me. I use a cot in my tent to at least get off the ground a little.

@kgirlhart I did a race at possum kingdom a couple of years ago. I would love to go back there and just visit. The trails were really nice.
    shanaber wrote: »
    For Sträva users have you found that it shorts the distance with the 'walk' selection? I walked what I know to be right about 3 miles yesterday and it gave me 2.74 and that was after I used the distance correction on the web version. Seems way off for a GPS issue but who knows.

Did this correct itself for you? I was having some issues with the GPS recently too. I didn’t notice it specifically being worse on a walk but my issue seems to have resolved itself so I chalked it up to a satellite problem.
  • martaindale
    Options
    @tarun_yadavA I feel like my kid would have a similar trip experience right now. We have traveled a fair bit and they used to be really into going to see things, and probably would with us. But, throw them in a big group of teens and you’d be lucky if they left the hotel room!

@eleanorhawkins I was glad to see you are recovered and getting back to it. It’s good you are taking the time to do strength, mobility, etc. I find it so hard to do those things alone. In a class setting I am a lot better. I think I may try out Pilates after this race. Kill multiple birds with one stone and have the responsibility of a class to keep me in line.

@quilteryoyo I would also recommend trying out the full race day routine at the earlier time since you are a late runner typically. It can be a challenge to force yourself to eat hours earlier than you usually do, but you definitely want to be properly fueled on race day!
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    @martaindale cool pics and great that you got to see them! Our motorhome has heating but we have yet to try it. Autumn weather seems to finally be arriving so maybe soon we'll need to. Pilates sounds like a great idea, ALL the core work 😂
    Our club is currently making plans for next year, some of which sound kinda brutal, so I think keeping up my strength work is going to be vital!
    Talking of weather... I woke up this morning to see that the weather forecast had been right for once and we had had some rain overnight. My plan for today was 2-3 hours run-walk in the mountains, but I couldn't even see the mountain so decided going up there alone would be a bad idea. Looking at schedules I realised getting this month's HM distance in was going to be complicated, so I decided today was the day to get that done. I had to be a bit creative with the route and include some roads, but it was mostly easy trails and it even drizzled for a while, which to me is heaven! Trouble was, I've stuffed my face with so much food recently (apparently my mouth didn't get the memo about the 34km race only happening once and has been fueling for one of those a day or something) I've developed an unwanted belly and that combined with the fact that what with taper, race and recovery I haven't been running much made it oh.so.slow and tough. Still, I got it done, think my legs will be angry though.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    I got out for 4 miles at 7:00 am this morning. Temp was 34F. I thought about waiting until lunch to run but it's only supposed to be about 5 degrees warmer then and I do so much better just getting out and getting it done than procrastinating later in the day.

Beautiful pictures @martaindale! Sleeping in 29F in a tent sounds a bit chilly. Even if you are off the ground on a cot! Glad you were able to enjoy some time with your parents.
  • martaindale
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins Your experience with post-race weight change is something I am a bit worried about. I have entered the bottomless pit portion of marathon training and I know it will be a big adjustment back to normal after the race week. I'm trying not to stress too much as it's still a couple months away and it's possible this won't be a big deal. My weight loss is recent enough that I remember what it was like losing weight and I am so much happier at this weight. I don't want to gain it back. All the HM training cycles were no big deal. This is the first time I have dealt with such a big shift in my weekly routine, and my routine is comfortable.

@Teresa502 I won't lie and say it wasn't cold, but my tent has a good rain fly that blocked the wind and my body heat would take the edge off the cold. I put clothes, socks, whatever I thought I would need down in my sleeping back the night before and put my cold pajamas under my blanket with me while I watched tv in the evening to warm them up. Putting on clothes that weren't freezing cold helped a lot. And lots of hot hands. Lots and lots of hot hands.
  • martaindale
    Options
    November total: 101.5/200 miles

11/1: 5 miles
    11/3: 10 miles
    11/5: 16 miles
    11/6: 5 miles
    11/7: 9.5 miles
    11/9: 5 miles
    11/10: 11 miles
    11/11: 8 miles
    11/12: 10 miles
    11/13: 7 miles
    11/14: 4 miles
    11:16: 11 miles

Another marathon tempo workout today. It was about 40 F this morning. That is about my perfect temps for hard level efforts. It's a little cold as you get started but it's cold enough that I never get hot and hot temps affect my runs so much. Paces that require work to maintain at 60 F are a breeze at 40 F. Overall, it was a good run. Still a bit faster than intended, but more consistent today and closer to target. Best part is I felt good through the entire run.