Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I wrote this in December 2009 and it came up in my FB memories:

50 Things to Do Before I Die
    In July 1996, Wendy Swallow Williams published an article entitled "50 Things to Do Before I Die" in the Washington Post. I read that article some months later in the Readers Digest and it has stuck with me all this time.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/1996/07/04/50-things-to-do-before-i-die/dc7e82e3-0b49-4d49-8f55-0e3e18c4e839/
    50 Things to Do Before I Die by Wendy Swallow Williams

The idea behind the article was to create a list of the 50 things we want to do during our lifetimes. Some things might be more urgent than others ... things we might want to complete in the next few years, or things that might wait till retirement. Some things might be more important than others. Some things might be to advance a career, others might be for fun.

But whenever we are bored, or think our lives are going nowhere, or want a change, or feel at loose ends ...... we dig out that list, pick something interesting, and start working on it.

I was fascinated, and so I created my list. I did it a bit differently than the author did ... she just started writing, whereas I, as is my nature, created categories. So I had a category for Educational Pursuits, another for Cycling, another for Other Sports, Travel, Creative Activities, etc. Within each category, I had a short list of things I wanted to do or accomplish.

I made this list back in 1996/1997 or so, and have managed to accomplish a large portion of the list in the past 13-ish years.

I'm in a position now where I am at loose ends again, and so I am revisiting that list I created many years ago ... and since I've checked off many things on my previous list, and since I'm in a whole different place than I was when I created that first list, I am planning to recreate it.

We're coming to the end of the first decade of 21st century. It's been 10 years since Year 2000!! Can you believe it!?

But what better time than to create or recreate a list of 50 things we might want to accomplish. Not resolutions for the coming year, but rather things we would really like to do in the coming years.

Machka in Oz
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Machka- I read and saved the article "50 things to do before...." I currently have a paper beside me with that written at the top. I will make my list during my week off, next week. Not sure why that never occurred to me. I love lists. I might get more of the "want to dos" accomplished if I have them on a tangible list! Thank you!
    Beautiful pic of you and your DH. Your nose has healed wonderfully!
    KJ (Kelly)

Thanks! At some angles my nose is still a little rough looking, but I am pleased with the way it has turned out.

My most recent rendition of the list appears to be from 2013. I'll have to have a look at it and update it!!

Machka in Oz

• ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Thanks for positive penguin feedback. I had wanted a tat for years but wasn't sure what to get or where to get it. I had thought of the Tasmanian devil figure (from cartoons). My ys and I both love penguins, He got this design on his forearm and I really liked the simplicity. He and wife have an artist they trust so I went for it.

My sons have been talking about getting something to honor their father. I was thinking yesterday about a humming bird. He really loved them-so the five of us may get one design for that. I would, again, go with a smaller design-I don't plan on getting a full sleeve!

Going to check a few emails today for work but that's it. Over weekend may work on some stuff for union negotiations which pick back up next week. I have really enjoyed the disconnecting the past two weeks. Retirement is indeed calling. Next Weds when I go to Columbus for a medical appointment I may drive by two of the places I am considering. Don't know how long doctor will take so don't want to set an appointment time.

Off to do a few things before getting hair cut at 10-I totally missed my right before Christmas appointment! Need to get cash so I can pay for today and the missed appointment.

Enjoy Thursday!

Ginny in Ohio
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    <3
    Betsy in NW WA
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,329 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Kim - LOL the boot discussion with your mom the "pimp". Enjoy the boots! And enjoy your NYE fondue party. Do you get crazy fireworks in your neighborhood and does it bother Levi?

Ginny - I like that tattoo, very well done. So nice it has meaning with your kids - I think there are/were cultures where tattoos are familial custom. Anxious to hear what your final retirement plans will be as far as where/if you'll move.

Rebecca - stunning news about your non-functioning kidney, and happy for you it hasn't been giving any trouble. Hoping Lee does well changing his eating and getting those numbers down.

Barbara - my dog is too big to stuff into a carry-on. Maybe I could put a dress and hat on her and say she's my grandchild and keep her swaddled in a baby carrier :D Not sure how I'd explain the barking and screaming other than keep her drugged. Seriously, I haven't flown for over 20 years. Maybe some day. My brother told me he has Zoom hooked up so perhaps I can connect with SIL that way soon. I've used it in the past to take classes.

Machka - looking good! Great photo of you and your DH!

KJ - have a good trip. Can't wait to see photos of your grands. :)

Margaret - those rosemary trees are so nice. Gorgeous poinsettia's! I looked for a rosemary tree a few weeks ago, didn't see any, which is probably good. I already have 2 small potted rosemary plants that need to be repotted.

Regarding Finances - getting this stuff figured out early next year is one of my goals. While I enjoy budgeting, investing is at the bottom of my list, not that I have much to invest. Had a very good phone consult last week with a rep from my Credit Union. I don't have a beneficiary set up for my account. Since it will only go "into effect" when I pass, I can list anyone or any institution I want and I think it will bypass probate, so I'm giving it serious consideration.

Having Medical and Financial Powers of Attorney set up (plus the Community Property Agreement which is Ok for the State of Washington) was the best money we ever spent for peace of mind. DH's passing - no hassles, nothing "tied up". We had asked about a trust, our attorney said since we don't have children or anything complicated as far as inheritance, a trust isn't worth the bother.

Prior to getting all of that paperwork done, DH and I kept putting it off. Until he got a bad case of diverticulitis and needed colon surgery. THEN we had the serious talk that we can't put if off any longer. The surgery was a success and many worries taken care of.

Word for 2023 - I'm vacillating between Journey and Adventure. I continue my health and personal journey, but adventure has an air of fun and challenge. Maybe I'll just hyphenate since they'll go hand in hand for me as they have the past 6 months. :)

I can't come up with any goals other than keep working on my health (never ending journey there) and making improvements/cleanup to the property as time and budget allows.

Sugar and Inflammation - a final comment. Am I the only person in this group that had serious inflammation flares from hitting the sugary stuff and overeating over the past week? My broken toe/foot area has been really aching and swollen. Arthritis in right hand a bugger. Now, several days back into more healthful controlled eating and no junk food, everything is doing a lot better. Thankful.

That's it for now. Make it a fabulous day! <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    <3 Thank you to all of you for sharing your one word theme for 2023. I have not figured out what to choose. Here are my words from past years.
    2014 mindful
    2015 now
    2016 alacrity
    2017 balance
    2018 tenacity
    2019 pause
    2020 flexible
    2021 lighten up
    2022 continue
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    Sugar and Inflammation - a final comment. Am I the only person in this group that had serious inflammation flares from hitting the sugary stuff and overeating over the past week? My broken toe/foot area has been really aching and swollen. Arthritis in right hand a bugger. Now, several days back into more healthful controlled eating and no junk food, everything is doing a lot better. Thankful.

That's it for now. Make it a fabulous day! <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

I don't eat much differently at Christmas than any other time of the year so ... no.

I did, however, have one extra ice cream bar one day, and my lactose intolerance told me that was one too many. Not doing that again!

M in Oz

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    I've ordered the robins painting as a Christmas card from a different printing company to make a comparison. I hope it comes out more true. :D I did the first tree one as an experiment.
    This company also do proper high quality art printing if I paint something worth reproducing.
    You never know until you try!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,606 Member
    Options
    :)
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    :)<3:)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,531 Member
    Options
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Good point Kim... most narcissists have a rudder somewhere and are lucky. You're obviously such a wonderful daughter to put up with that and you genuinely love her too. Has she ever tried counseling? I mean, I know it's a little late for that, but would it help at all to have someone else to talk to? Just a thought.
    OMG..... now I'm LAUGHING too!!! (can't jig anymore, but I would if I could!!! YAY!!!)

Glad you got some "good news" Rebecca. At least it's news you can deal with. We send gift cards too, Barbie. Sometimes they're the Visa cards, sometimes store-specific gift cards, depending on what the grands want. This year, for Christmas, the little grands wanted Dunkin and Applebees. No kidding. Those are their two favorite places to go with Mom! They've never had any problems with them. Always hold onto the receipt.

Isn't the Conservatory just the most GORGEOUS place Margaret?!? Makes me glad to live in MN!!!

WOOHOO Machka! So happy for you and you LOOK MAHVAHLOUS DAHLING!

Good luck Heather. Karen has a quite reasonable suggestion. I think I'll take her up on it with my Freddy. He always suggests that we "talk about it", but we never do.

29 A place you love to visit: used to be our cabin, that no longer exists, now it's "up north", Brainerd/Baxter area, MN
    Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,329 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    A thought on checks - I too use them to pay for donations, church, etc. Or big bills (like new heat pump) they prefer checks, not plastic.

Also, I still send checks for birthdays and Christmas. It used to be that's the only way I'd know if they were received since the recipients often neglected to say anything. :s

They have gotten better now that they are older adults.

Lanette

• 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Heather ~ I like the card with the Christmas Balls but it would look better if you made it larger. The tree scene is very pretty. And, I think the robins on a card will be very pretty.

Kim ~ If your mom is 93, there is probably nothing you can do to change her way of thinking. I'm glad she agreed to let you have the boots as your gift.

Gift Cards ~ There was a long discussion on Nextdoor today about scammers using up gift cards before the recipient can use them. Somehow the scammers pick up gift cards in a store like Walmart's and copy the information after scratching out the $ amount. Then they glue a replacement strip over this and the recipient won't know until they go to use the card.

Finances ~ After 53 yrs of marriage, we have no secrets...LOL. We each have our own bank account but our spouse has access to it. And, we know passwords to most every place we would visit online. I keep all of this on a sheet I devised.

Pets ~ Like many of you, we would not leave our dog in the care of others so did not take a trip away from home for many years. We were able to take him to a LaQuinta hotel a couple of times that allowed you to bring a pet.

Carol in GA

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Carol - The balls are just a little logo on the back of the tree card. Not the front. I was showing the front, inside and back of the card on my collage. :) I'm a little disappointed with the colour saturation on the tree.

I think I've created a design for my front cover photo for my next book, a poetry collection called MEMORY BOXES.This isn't the cover itself, just the photo I might use to create it. Still working on which neon sticker to use. DH doesn't like this one. :p
    ac6virseed34.jpg

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx